RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

I have been having discussions with a few modellers about the Chip Shop build. Many have really enjoyed it and even those that are still plodding away or have drawn a line under the project still got a great deal out of the techniques that we explored.

I have been asked if we were going to do another master class.

Well I would like to, and several models have been bounced around as potential builds. I would rather not draw my own for a mass build, so with that in mind we had a short list of two Brian Taylor designs, the Spitfire at 83" and the Mosquito at 81"

However after much debate it is looking like we may be doing something different completely. We got caught out with the Bryant Chipmunk because the plan was for a MkI and we all built the T.10 so errors were easily spotted. This time we can compare the Bryant Hawker Fury MkI with three views very early on and make amendments if people wish to do so.

So it is looking like the Dennis Bryant Hawker Fury MkI at 60" it is a good sized bi-plane. And the cowl area should give many the opportunity to experiment with lith or metal foil. Some could opt for a painted nose as there are many to choose from. I like the Duxford one.

I have asked Traplet if they would do us a similar deal on the parts as they kindly did for the Chipmunk, but as yet I haven't heard back.

Martyn Kinder has put loads of work into the project already and has agreed to be my wingman and I have Andy Sephton on board wanting to join in too.

The build will start on October 1st 2018 if there is enough iterest, so if you are interested can you put a post on here and we can weigh up the enthusiasm.

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Danny Fenton on 08/07/2017 11:04:29:

The Fantome is up there too Dave, but we all must have built the Airfix Fury MkI

This is the Duxford one, but the artwork also shows a camo version which I like too

Cheers

Danny

No doubt most of us did but in my time they were in plastic bags not boxes!!!

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 08/07/2017 12:03:16:
Posted by Danny Fenton on 08/07/2017 11:04:29:

The Fantome is up there too Dave, but we all must have built the Airfix Fury MkI

This is the Duxford one, but the artwork also shows a camo version which I like too

Cheers

Danny

No doubt most of us did but in my time they were in plastic bags not boxes!!!

Oh, ho. Looks like another trip down Woolworth memory lane. Ee, when I were a lad. devil

Hello Danny,

I really would like to subscribe for this Master Class, but as Traplet states the Fury 1 being "not for beginners" and with only the Bella Ballerina 'under my belt', it seems quite a bit too 'much' for me. blush

On the other hand, with a start planned for Autumn 2018, it could have some time left to sharpen my apprentice skills. Is the 1:48 Airfix kit still available?

I will be following this anyhow with great attention.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, the Airfix kit is still about. Amazon have a few. But bear in mind its an old kit not one that has neen retooled. So it isnt great.....
Only you know if you can tackle this build. There were some that had never done anything like the Chipmunk and they have completed amazing models. One of the points o the exercise is to push your own limits. This looks easier than the Chipmunk, but involves lots of piano wire bendibg and soldering. Also some silver soldering wouldn't go amiss. But we will all be here to help you along the way. If you start and struggle you will still have learned a great deal.
Cheers
Danny

Chris after that cracking Ballerina job this might be just the thing to stretch you a little. 2 extra wings and a few struts to keep them apart .Covering could be an issue for you though. I would use a fabric/ dope system personally. A textured film might suit you better.Any probs and you can ask here . There are guidance vids on the net ( You tube etc ) if you Google covering model aircraft or similar that should bring something up. Go for it I believe you can do it/ Good luck John /OT

Danny, it would be rude of me not to join; I have too many incomplete models but with over a year to wait I have no excuse. A shiny metal/lith cowl would be the big challenge for me whilst bending piano wire is not my favourite task; I usually need industrial quantities to generate just one satisfactory undercarriage so I shall look forward to learning how to do it properly.

Trevor

Shame it's not the Bryant Avro Tutor as I have a Saito 120 radial engine needing a (biplane) home. Won't fit in the nose of the Fury. Almost enough to make one furious!

Maybe a Persian Fury variant could be considered?

Edited By David Ovenden on 08/07/2017 21:19:19

Edited By David Ovenden on 08/07/2017 21:24:01

Edited By David Ovenden on 08/07/2017 21:24:27

Posted by David Ovenden on 08/07/2017 21:16:14:

Shame it's not the Bryant Avro Tutor as I have a Saito 120 radial engine needing a (biplane) home. Won't fit in the nose of the Fury. Almost enough to make one furious!

Maybe a Persian Fury variant could be considered?

Edited By David Ovenden on 08/07/2017 21:19:19

Edited By David Ovenden on 08/07/2017 21:24:01

Edited By David Ovenden on 08/07/2017 21:24:27

Nothing stopping you do a radial engined version as you say there is the Persian Fury amongst others....

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 08/07/2017 21:46:55