RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

It was great to meet up with Graham Donaldson and Silver Wolf at Cosford today! We had a good chin-wag and compared thoughts on the Fury projects. It looks as if we will all get there eventually. We also talked about Chipmunk issues, hoping that eventually we might get a finished result! Some mixed feelings about Dennis Bryant designs, from the experience so far!

The weather was excellent today, yesterday apparently was poor with rain on and off during the day. I hope that Martian didn’t get pneumonia.

Yes, it was good to meet you and Silver Wolf (now have real name as well). I enjoyed the show and was glad that we changed from Saturday to Sunday. Some great models and more than competent pilots. I’v a lot to learn but fear it is to late!

now off to DEVON for a couple of weeks before the return to Aberdeen.

Might get to Woodsprings next weekend.

Graham

Enjoyed meeting up, nice to put faces to names, most enjoyable. I'm sure that it will help with keeping the projects moving, all be it very slowly.

There will be at least three of us who will not be venturing near another D Bryant plan. However credit is due to Mr Bryant for designing what I hope will be a very good sport scale model. Especially given that these days we have CAD and the internet for searching details etc.

Graham, its never too late, just remember small steps a few milestones and you will get there. Just enjoy every step.

Have a safe trip and enjoy Devon.

Regards

SW

Posted by Silver Wolf on 08/07/2019 18:13:16:

There will be at least three of us who will not be venturing near another D Bryant plan. However credit is due to Mr Bryant for designing what I hope will be a very good sport scale model. Especially given that these days we have CAD and the internet for searching details etc.

Its a bit frustrating when a plan doesn't meet expectations, but remember that Dennis Bryant was a leading scale designer in the 70s and early 80s and I think his models are well proven. As you say, there is far more information available now for the scale designer but we really shouldn't decry his designs too much (especially publicly) - there simply wasn't the information available 50 years ago..

I am currently trying to get my Chippie finished but struggling with the canopy. (It's too short) and wondering how best to extend the front glazing by about 20mm. When that gets done, I'll be back on the Fury.

Martyn

Its a bit frustrating when a plan doesn't meet expectations, but remember that Dennis Bryant was a leading scale designer in the 70s and early 80s and I think his models are well proven. As you say, there is far more information available now for the scale designer but we really shouldn't decry his designs too much (especially publicly) - there simply wasn't the information available 50 years ago..

I am currently trying to get my Chippie finished but struggling with the canopy. (It's too short) and wondering how best to extend the front glazing by about 20mm. When that gets done, I'll be back on the Fury.

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Danny and the lads, What a bummer, the Fury airframe is sulking on my building board, and I'm sulking in my armchair with 2 broken ribs and a broken arm (right one of course)

So, As someone famous once said, I'll be back

ernie

Not me at least not for scale purity to be fair they produce a nice plane which was a winner in its day . I decided early on not to worry over scale fidelity and if it looks right then that's ok

Posted by Martyn K on 09/07/2019 09:37:33:

Martyn

Posted by Ernie on 17/07/2019 09:56:06:

Hi Danny and the lads, What a bummer, the Fury airframe is sulking on my building board, and I'm sulking in my armchair with 2 broken ribs and a broken arm (right one of course)

So, As someone famous once said, I'll be back

ernie

I am sorry to hear that Ernie a real blow I wish you a speedy recovery

• 3 weeks later...