RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Hi Stuart, I am intending to include the forward wires, bracing on mine too. It looks like the replica that Andy is modelling, does not have the additional bracing. Also of interest is that early versions did not have the removable side sections/panels to the fuselage. Another reason you have to find a subject and take details from that aircraft and not use generic 3 views.

The replica in (Belgium??) also uses pinked rib tapes, the Duxford examples (3) all use torn fabric rib tapes.

Cheers

Danny

• 5 weeks later...

A happy New Year to all you Fury builders. You’ve gone very quiet!

I have made some reasonable progress although there are numerous bits and pieces to sort out. The main problem I have is with the interplanetary struts. I built then as the plan but am finding it difficult to fit them. My plan is to install the rigging which will tighten things up and maybe make fitting the struts easier..

The airframe is complete and covered - I used Sorartex. I have painted it as per the South African Air Force as detailed on the Airfix 1/48th scheme. I brushed Humbrol Matt enamel but would have got a better Finnish if I had sprayed it. The roundals also were sprayed. Not my best finnish.

I will post a picture in due course, but would appreciate any advise regarding the struts in the meantime.

Graham

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that's the Fury finish and ready to fly. However I will be waiting for some warmer weather to spend time rigging it. We've been flying in zero temperatures recently on some fine days. Too cold to spend time fiddling. I'm afraid my Fury is somewhat agricultural compared to others on the forum. Here are a couple of pictures.

Graham

Hi Graham and all. this is my first posting as a new comer to the forum. I have been looking at the builds and I would like to congratulate the builders on some fine models, The Fury looks good in any colour but. I do like the camouflage scheme,mine I think will be silver. have sent for the fury part set from Sarik but I would like to know if the etched parts are still available. or if anyone has a set to spare. I tried to order some from the etcher's.but they said I would have to get permission of the designer who I believe lives in France.

Eric r.

Thank you Martian,I have contacted Ernie hopefully they are still available, it was about 25 years ago I made the Bryant Bulldog and my close up vision was much better then. Making the fittings is very time consuming and I can think of a lot of things I would rather be doing but the weather is not good for flying at the moment. looking forward to taking part on the forum I will post updates when I get started. At the moment I am finishing a 65" span ME 109 E from a Cambrian kit.

It's good to know there are still a lot of people balsa and foam bashing and it would be good to know how many Furies are in production or recently completed. Danny I will stick to the plan apart from the front end, I will go electric on this one. I bought a bare airframe of a Flair SE5 at Cosford last year, I had one when they first came out flew it for years but a faulty servo piled it in on a concrete runway. The fuselage was soaked through with fuel after 7years of use so it was scrapped I electrified the present one and it fly's like a Pitts at full throttle flying it at the scale speed gives 11 mins. flight .Graham are you going electric with the Mosquito?

Eric r.