RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Well, I've got a very nearly completed airframe. Some bits are covered, and finished yellow. It's the silver covering thats difficult. I'm using the mick reeves foil, its difficult. The finish underneath needs to be perfect. I've used Glass cloth, and about a zillion coats of primer.

ernie

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning furious guys, and especially Danny

I'm experimenting on the Fury with aluminium finishing systems. Best yet is the mick reeves system, but, I would like to try FliteMetal. I've tried ordering from the website, and I've tried to email them, all with no result.

Help

ernie

Hi Ernie

As Danny said I was lucky enough to pick up some flitemetal whilst in the States.

Have you tried to contact Ed on [email protected]

I always had good communications with him on that email.

As i recall the website ordering is based on predetermined "kits" of the foil - the amount being determined by typical model size. The kits include tools ie rubstick, rule, pad and rivet marking wheel.

Maybe a bulk order if enoug people are interested would save on shipping ??

Cheers

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

I have been building my Fury in fits and starts and I am now at the stage of doing a final assembly before covering. It has been a real slog having discovered the problems with the formers before the forum discussions, wire bending etc. Thanks to all who have provided interesting comments and photos. Congratulations to all who have finished their models and to a much higher standard than I could hope to achieve.

I have stuck the the plan with the single top wing, now I have to work out how to fit it into the car. I am aiming for flying not competition standard otherwise it might take another year.

I have a couple of questions:

I have a Laser 70 which fits inverted into the cowel without too much trouble but I would be interested to know if there will be enough airflow to keep the engine cool.

Does anyone have a flying routine that follows a 1930s Fury airshow display? Having taken so long to build I would life to fly it realistically, not with excessive speeds or sports model aerobatics.

I would love to come and see some of the finished models but I am in Aussie.

Graham LL

Thanks CS that link has been shared before, but is so good it doesn't hurt to show it again.

An interesting subject Graham, we often think about the "scale" schedule, but flying a reproduction of the full size display is a lovely idea. However some display pilots are not in tune to the aircraft in questions finer qualities. For example a Bearcat will climb vertically for ages, and looks so impressive, big swooping fast manouvres. The Tigermoth can't really fly the same routine. A pitts will twinkle roll, a B-29 probably not

The Fury has not got a high roll rate and as such a sensitive display pilot would steer away from those kind of manouvres perhaps? Forumite and friend, Andy Sephton is looking at this very subject, as it is close to his heart and has displayed many different full size aircraft over his career. So keep an eye on RCM&E for an article on how best to display a full size, it has parallels to displaying a model.

Cheers

Danny

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Eric has flown his Fury half a dozen times now and is getting it dialled in, he says its very easy to fly.

For those not following his build (why not?) Here are the settings he has used:

Motor Electrospeed 5055/06 580kv. prop 15x8, battery 5s 5000 20c.80amp esc. Looking at the motor it is identical to the 4 Max and the Overlander Thumper . On the watt meter it is just under 900w with a 16x8 non electric prop it produced 1100w but the amps were in the high 70's with the 15x8 APC..e prop 48amps.

C/G. on the forward position on the plan

Aileron 20mm up 15 down high rate 15 up and down low I use high

Elevator measured at the rearmost point 40mm up and down high 30 low

Rudder 60mm each way. I have put 49% expo in on all controls. The elevator could be reduced but I like a lot of elevator on our field to stop nose overs then often forget to switch to low rates. It just seems to sink slowly onto the strip and with the wind direction I was landing on the short strip no problems.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Danny. I have a query or two about your valuable article in the September RCME mag where you describe your work on the Fury oleos, including the shrouds.

I bought two such oleos from Hobby King which I now find are not long enough for the job, some 160 cm overall needed, and they also have limited displacement as the spring is too stiff. I am assuming each leg supports about 5lb and the required deflection, according to the plan, between the loaded and unloaded positions is about 3.5cm.

I would be interested to know where you got your oleos from and whether they are about the above length and provide a comparable load displacement. Also it is not clear from the article how the attachments are made to both the 8 SWG.top wire and the 10 SWG axle. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

My progress has been slow, but I think sure. The airframe is complete and I have started covering with silver Oratex. This is coming on well, with a heat-controlled sealing iron the job is very enjoyable and the material is easy to work with. I have also completed some of the metal sheets for the 'the front end' in litho. Incidentally if anyone wants any litho give me a call.

Best wishes to all,

Stuart

Hi Stuart, I think these points were mentioned in the thread? I used my lathe as a miller to lengthen the travel. I also reduced the main springs considerably, cutting a good chunk off and replacing with a very light spring. My oleos don't really do a great deal of shock absorbing. But they do extend when unloaded,and compress on the ground.

526.jpg

530.jpg

I used the oleos upside down. The parallel hole at the oleo bottom, (leg top) to attach to the U section piano wire mounted to the fuselage underside. The top of the oleo (now at the bottom), was drilled perpendicular and re tapped for a grub screw. The axle slides through this. The hole isn't quite perpendicular as the axle sits at a slight angle to the leg. I also moved (drilled and tapped) the end stop screw on the oleo inner, to give more travel.

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 03/09/2020 22:01:05

Edited By Danny Fenton on 03/09/2020 22:01:51

Hi Stuart, the oleos were actually from a Seagull Mossie, so I think you may have trouble sourcing ones exactly the same.

Just sat the Fury on the bench. The compressed (fully) length is 130 mm - uncompressed 147 mm.

The model weighs 4.5lbs with flight batt. however at rest length of oleos 135 mm with no flight batt (est 140 with batt).

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 04/09/2020 21:40:48

• 1 month later...

Hi to everyone from downunder,

I have almost finished my Fury to the point of a test flight but I will still still some finishing work to do. I am going for 1 Squadron K5673

I have both a Laser 70 and a Laser 110 that I could use, does anyone have experience of the 70 in the Fury or should I go with the 110?

Cheers

Graham