RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

• 1 month later...

I have nearly completed my Fury and here are some pictures. This has been a lockdown project so I have included much more detail than I normally would, including rivets, rib tapes and stitching. I have undertaken many build processes that I have never attempted before including making struts, landing gear, flying wires, aluminium foil covering and some litho plate. It is powered by an ASP 91FS and weighs approx 10lb.

Many thanks to Danny for the excellent forum notes and video tutorials and also to Eric who saved me an immense amount of time with the brass etchings.

I do not intend to fly it until next year and I am hoping that maybe there will be a Fury get-together at Buckminster Lodge one day.

Happy Christmas to all you Furious builders.

front right.jpg

front left.jpg

That looks great David, That is the colour scheme I would have preferred but I went for a simple one.

Just one thing It was Ernie who done the brass etchings. Yours and Grahams are going to sound great with the F/S engines. If it is like mine the maiden flight is an anti climax mine flew straight off with just a touch of trim and has had many flights now.

Posted by Graham LL on 10/12/2020 10:49:48:

Fury 1 pre-flight testing

Assembled, engine (Laser 70) run in and ready for a flight test. Still some minor rework and finishing to be done but a big relief to get this far.

Merry Christmas to all

Graham

Great looking work. I. suppose markings etc after the maiden? How much did it turn out to be on the scale?

Posted by David Avery on 11/12/2020 16:41:54:

I have nearly completed my Fury and here are some pictures. This has been a lockdown project so I have included much more detail than I normally would, including rivets, rib tapes and stitching. I have undertaken many build processes that I have never attempted before including making struts, landing gear, flying wires, aluminium foil covering and some litho plate. It is powered by an ASP 91FS and weighs approx 10lb.

Many thanks to Danny for the excellent forum notes and video tutorials and also to Eric who saved me an immense amount of time with the brass etchings.

I do not intend to fly it until next year and I am hoping that maybe there will be a Fury get-together at Buckminster Lodge one day.

Happy Christmas to all you Furious builders.

front right.jpg

front left.jpg

Hi Dave

Brilliant to see your build progressing so well.

Will be grwat as you say to have a fury fly in next year.

Your rigging wires look an interesting solution, can you post more info on the parts you used?

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin

My rigging wires are soldered to a threaded connector with a standard clevis at the top end and soldered to a threaded connector into a turnbuckle at the lower end. The turnbuckles are from Prime Miniatures.

This photo shows the lower end in more detail. It also shows my homemade spring keeper which keeps the strut firmly in its locating slot. These seem to work OK although it is a bit fiddly getting the strut ends in place - but a lot quicker than bolting them to the spar.

David

strut detail.jpg

By turnbuckles do you mean what I would call bottlescews used for rigging sailing boats - ie parts with left and right hand threads so turning the female part changes the length? I think I'm going to modify my 60" DB Sopwith Pup to have working flying and landing wires for extra security.

The illustration only seem to show one threaded part like the ones sold by SLEC for closed loop adjustment.

btw I'm staggered at the beautiful Hawker Furies produced. There's no way I could achieve those results. The Fury is truly a lovely biplane - almost as lovely as a Sopwith Pup

Geoff

Edited By Geoff S on 15/12/2020 20:16:53

Hi Geoff,

Your description of bottlescrews also perfectly fits turnbuckles. In my example the right-hand threaded male part has been swapped for a threaded connector such as the SLEC piece and the left hand threaded male part is bolted to the brass lug which in turn is bound to the spar. The rigging wire can be shortened or lengthened by turning the female part of the turnbuckle. The M2 nut stops the turnbuckle from rotating under vibration.

Good luck with the Sopwith Pup.

David