RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Been looking at this a bit more closely.

Denis Bryant used a Merco 61 on the prototype with the head protruding through the bottom of the cowl very slightly.

One thing the observant will have spotted is that there isn't much in the way of ducts and vents in the super smooth cowl. This is making me think that cooling will be a problem, even more so for an ic engine.

Anyone got any thoughts on how we will cool the motor (and ESC)? I did spend some time pondering this at about 5:00am this morning and the only thing I can think of is a removable cover somewhere under the prop at the bottom of the cowl which can be removed when the model is flown.

I am starting to think that electric will be the way to go. I suspect a scale prop will be about 12" diameter

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 12/07/2017 09:14:31

I'm going to go electric haven't seen the plan yet but was thinking about putting the ESC in the radiator the motor I have will drive a 16+8 prop at 10000+rpm without getting warm probably overkill but I may need the nose weight also as a mechanic too much power doesn't exist you can control the throttle what would be the scale prop dia. And rpm at this size

Great to have you joining in Nev, Vince and Andy. I did have a messenger chat with Andy about cooling and for IC a sprung cheater flap where you suggest Martyn would be one way, with air vented out through the radiator. Even electric will need some. The exhausts are left open to aid airflow too. I am sure we can figure it out
Cheerd
Danny

Trying not to seem too keen but absolutely fizzing at the bung to build this as its been the one and only scale model I've had any desire to build since I was 10 years old thought a bit about about posting this in case its embarrassing but decided to anyway as 53years old now and very hard to embarrass

Hi Vince,

its going to be a few months before this communal project starts. Can I suggest that perhaps you may want to build something in the interim to develop your building (and flying) skills. Perhaps one of the free plans from RCM&E. The Ballerina would be an excellent model IMHO.

However, please do not start a diverse discussion here, have a look at the 2016 Mass build thread for ideas

Best wishes

Martyn

Wasn't trying to start a diverse discussion but will finish my own design electric glider and join a club here in Victoria before even starting this build have only recently moved here from wa. Sorry for being so keen but for a first proper scale model I was looking forward for some help if needed and maybe be able to add some thing to the thread even if it just enthusiasm can't afford the wood pack but as Danny has said patterns are on the plan I will order it tomorrow when it gets here I'll have a look and go from there I'm not trying to start earlier than planned but as I said earlier I've wanted to build this since I was 10 years old plenty of time to accumulate materials and experience before the build starts can't promise I'll wait until October though

You don't have to make any promises, Vince.

But obviously, if you're looking forward to some help from the gurus around here, I would suggest you to wait for the 'common' Master Class to start.

Plenty of time for you in between to sharpen up your building - and flying - skills. smiley

I've only ever build one model - Peter Miller's Ballerina - and it took a steep learning curve and sixteen months to see it finished. Of course using different materials - mainly Depron, ply & composites - than originally planned didn't make it 'easier'. Next will be a Svenson Vicomte with as much as scalish details as I can during next winter giving me another step forward.

So, I can only second Martyn's advice to build something like a Ballerina in between. yes

If you have been patiently waiting for over forty years, forteen months can't be that hard. Up to you of course, young man.

@ Danny > Will your 'classroom' be large enough... ? wink

Cheers

Chris

Hi all

A couple of points.

We are currently getting 20% discount - this is on top of the current 20% off - ie a total saving of about 35%. The Traplet sale ends on the 31st July so stop prevaricating. Our 20% discount will still continue beyond July though.

Just to be clear, the planned start date for this Scale Mass Build is October 2018

This is to allow time for those of us who have builds under way (I have 3 at the moment) to get them completed.

So - the plan is:

1. We engage as many people as possible. Some may have to save money to buy the kit and other hardware

2. We discuss and procure the hardware needed. There are a few tricky bits in there - the wheels come to mind

3. We will create a new sub forum (like 'Chip Shop' ) , so looking for a catchy name

4. Mentally - start the problem solving - there are lots of things we need to do with this that will test all of us. You may have your own ideas, its as much about sharing ideas rather playing follow the leader

5. Its important that we all do start more or less together otherwise the concept of a mass build simply evaporates. Anyone who wants to go it alone, feel free to do so, its not a dictatorship, but we will all lose out if we go our separate ways.

6. Start collecting evidence for the aircraft you want to replicate. This can be very time consuming depending on the limited choices of prototypes still available for close inspection.

In the meantime, have fun..

Martyn & Danny

Edited By Martyn K on 12/07/2017 14:10:51

This is a list of remaining Fury Hind etc and where they are. If anybody has any other info please let us know?

Fury
K5674 Fury Mk.I, is owned by the Historical Aircraft Collection and based at the Imperial War Museum Duxford in the United Kingdom. G-CBZP

Hart
J9941 RAF Museum, Hendon, UK
K4972 trainer RAF Museum, RAF Cosford, UK
K6636 Aero Vintage, Westfield, UK
714 Royal Swedish AF Museum, Linkőping, Sweden

Hind
RAF Museum, RAF Cosford, UK
G-AENP/ Shuttleworth Collection, Old Walden, UK
G-CBLK/L7181 Aero Vintage, Duxford, UK
L7180 National Aviation Museum, Ottawa, Canada
NZ1518 Classic Aircraft Collection, Subritzky, New Zealand
NZ1535 Classic Aircraft Collection, Subritzky, New Zealand
NZ1554 Classic Aircraft Collection, Subritzky, New Zealand
4 to 6 in Afghanistan scrap yard

Nimrod
G-BURZ/K3661 Aero Vintage, Westerfield, UK
G-BWWK/S1581 The Fighter Collection, Duxford, UK

Tomtit
G-AFTA/K1786 Shuttleworth Collection, Old Walden, UK

Replicas
Fury, airworthy, K1930 OO-HFU. Robert Landuyt Collection, Wevelgem
Fury, static replica, Brooklands Museum NOT ON DISPLAY
Fury, static K7271 replica, Wartime Aircraft Recovery Group Aviation Museum, Sleap
Fury, replica fuselage, Canada (built by Aero Vintage & exchanged for Hind L7181 in 1985

So the two that are accesible are at Duxford. If the model is for fun or light competition, then any documented scheme will do. I am still keeping my options open and including the Nimrod

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Martyn K on 12/07/2017 14:07:30:

Hi all

A couple of points.

We are currently getting 20% discount - this is on top of the current 20% off - ie a total saving of about 35%. The Traplet sale ends on the 31st July so stop prevaricating. Our 20% discount will still continue beyond July though.

Just to be clear, the planned start date for this Scale Mass Build is October 2018

This is to allow time for those of us who have builds under way (I have 3 at the moment) to get them completed.

So - the plan is:

3. We will create a new sub forum (like 'Chip Shop' ) , so looking for a catchy name

How about The Fury Class of 2018