RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

A substitute for lithoplate? I came across this - Metalcoat - on Mick Reeves site

I have not used it but it might help anyone who cannot get lithoplate. I remember the fantastically realistic aluminium finish on Tim Hooper's Blackburn when i saw it a few years ago which was done by something similar

Posted by kc on 13/07/2017 18:57:08:

A substitute for lithoplate? I came across this - Metalcoat - on Mick Reeves site

I have not used it but it might help anyone who cannot get lithoplate. I remember the fantastically realistic aluminium finish on Tim Hooper's Blackburn when i saw it a few years ago which was done by something similar

Hi KC the flitemetal/metalcoat type covering is a self adhesive alloy tape and can be quite effective. I would suggest that if you cannot get lith or you just cannot get lith to form the curves (it will not be easy I can assure you, and will take practice) then by all means the tape will look great, but lith will look even better.

Cheers

Danny

Thanks for the heads-up on metalcote kc. I'm currently building a free flight Blackburn Monoplane which has a shiny aluminium front end. This looks to be an ideal medium to replicate what I'm after and it'll also be a good test of the material before building the Fury.

I'm committed to other building plans until the end of this season, but I'll procure some metalcote, try it out late autumn/early winter this year and report back.

Getting back to the Fury, I'm currently thinking towards a model for BMFA Flying Only competition with a possible extension to Stand-Off. As a consequence, my model will have as much weight shaved off as I dare and limited detail. I'm also still pondering the power question - electric or IC. I'll maybe have a better idea on the latter when the plans arrive!

Not the best scan in the world - sorry. The PDF creation and compression has made it worse unfortunately

PS - please be patient, it make take a few minutes to appear... Just click once and it will open in a new tab (he says while checking the server log files)

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 14/07/2017 14:28:38

The Ali tape methods are fully explained in the Blackburn B2 thread

I was able to see Tim Hooper's super model at Old Warden a few years back. I was with somebody who had spent a working lifetime as a professional panel beater and he complimented Tim on the panel beating, so he was astounded when Tim explained it was tape! It was almost impossible to believe that this was not actual panel beating work. A little later we viewed the full size B2 in the hanger too and noted that Tim had got the effect just right.

Tim's comments about the 2.4 ghz aerials might be worth bearing in mind considering the Fury was probably a 35mhz or even 27 mhz model which would have had long aerials placed on the exterior for flying.

I came across Brian Peckham's old article about using lithoplate- if anybody needs a copy send me a PM.

Louvres in lithoplate were covered in a Phillip Kent article a few years back - he used a shape wood 'die' in a drill press to punch the louvres. Trouble is I cannot remmber which magazine he wrote that in!

Thank you for your link to the 'markings' booklet, Martyn.

Seeing "Northern Europe", I was hoping to find some Belgian Air Force markings & decos.

But apparently the only craft with BAF markings seems the one 'donated' by the SAAF to the Force Publique in 1940 which flew in Belgian Congo... and nosed over during a landing in Gambela just a few days after receiving its BAF colors & markings... no

belgian_hawker_hardy_congo02.jpg

But it was a Hardy - aka a 'tropic' converted Hart - and definitely not a Fury Mk1. sad

Back to - nearly - zero unless I decide to 'repair' the K4316... and create a 'swept back' wing too... surprise

Cheers

Chris

Hi Guy's just a thought I've got a few rolls of self adhesive alloy tape obtained from an engineering supply shop we use it for covering up holes and hydraulic hose ends etc when doing rebuilds on earthmoving equipment its very sticky will even stay on when steam cleaning components comes in different widths too
Has a wax paper backing on it I have used to make windscreen frames for my Frog gliders it is thick enough to polish with brasso can be stretched slightly without tearing too
They also sell loctite products too 401 and 406 are very useful industrial strength superglues the tape is 0.25mm thick would this be worth an experiment I was thinking of using soapy water to stop it sticking and trying to form it around compound curves don't worry I will wait until the build starts proper just bouncing ideas around need to buy a table and chair for my shed
Cheers
Vince

I've scanned and posted the covers of several books and magazines I have on the Fury. If you've only going to get one, then I'd go for the Mushroom Publications book 'Hawker Fury and Nimrod'. It has a lot of detail pictures and three-views of the Duxford Nimrod and Belgian Replica Fury to support the text.

However, if you're after a different colour scheme to the normal RAF silver, then you'll find colour drawings of camouflaged Furys in the Spanish booklet and the Allied Wings booklets Vol 1 and 2

Both AeroModellers contain three-view drawings of the Fury Mk 1

img_1688.jpegimg_1687.jpegimg_1686.jpegimg_1685.jpegimg_1684.jpegimg_1683.jpegimg_1682.jpeg

Edited By Andy Sephton 1 on 15/07/2017 10:45:45