Colin’s Spanish Fury

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried to download a video showing the first run-up of the Fury and taxiing on the grass, but the file was too large. Anyway, the closed-loop rudder and pushrod-operated elevator are working fine and the motor is running fine, although that’s not the final prop. The aileron servos are working, connecting them up is the next easy job. As mentioned before, I need to do some work on the aileron leading edges to get more clearance in the shrouds, there’s not enough movement. Not sure what order to do the remaining jobs in. Spinner, rib tapes, struts, rigging, painting and scale detail. I really want to do the paint scheme shown here, it will be my first attempt at air-brushing something like this. Not sure yet where to go for the paints suitable for this. 

75DA01E9-83AA-4061-B166-016862F39191.jpeg

F1E03BBB-57D1-4A20-92E5-FAD57EA9E368.jpeg

12538791-5FF1-4276-9506-A64FC10C3DF0.jpeg

Edited by Colin Leighfield
  • Like 6

Thanks David and Danny, it looked about right to me, but I like to compare notes. Rather than use a Y-lead into the aileron channel, I’ve plugged one servo into that and the other into auxiliary two, mixed into aileron. That way I’ve been able to put both servos the same way around with equal length linkages. Just got to set the differential later. I think I’ll sort out out the wing struts and rigging wires next. 

• Like 1

I’m now onto the wing struts. I’ve rough cut some 1/16” ply cores to do some sizing up and make sure they’re right before going too far. There’s no clear indication of how the struts are attached to the brass lugs on the wings. I assume with small nuts and bolts, a bit of a fiddle. How have colleagues done this? I recall Danny saying that it took him an hour to assemble his.

2A77B54D-927D-4CC5-AD6F-CEA2A70DC3EC.jpeg

I sized my struts off the drawing, but had to re build the port strut as the rear vertical was about 1/8in too short. I used epoxy to glue the brass plates to the ply strips and then a balsa faring each side. The brass lugs top and bottom just slotted into the slots on the wings. Occasionally on landing they will pop out. Does that help?

Graham

• Like 2

Where I’m coming from on this one is the thought of having the two wing bays pre-assembled, so that I can just slide them on without having to put the lot together at the field. To do that I was thinking that I’d need to fix the struts to the wings, I’d clear forgotten in the meantime about the slots, which are staring me in the face through the Solartex! The wings slide on and off the carbon-fibre tubes very smoothly. Although I’ve made the upper and lower centre sections as the plan so they can be removed as designed, the intention is to leave them normally in situ and I think that alone will make assembly and disassembly a bit easier. I’ll have it sorted out shortly.

Edited by Colin Leighfield
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve had to leave this since 17 July because of unavoidable other priorities, but back on the case tonight, straight onto the interplane struts. I was very encouraged to find that they fit almost exactly both sides, made to the plan. I can sand them and finish them off tomorrow. I was concerned that with all of the extra work involved in making up the c/f and brass tube sliding wing fittings that some inaccuracies would be built in, but fortunately that’s not the case!

BB37015C-0654-4F2A-947D-FA77FE6C7030.jpeg

04D50576-29E9-4F7F-8E6F-A3B54F47E04A.jpeg

• Like 6

• 11 months later...

Loss of my regular flying site and concerns about alternatives rather killed my interest last year, and I limited my building to some indoor projects and an F3 Res glider. However, with the flying site problem resolved I’m getting back into it. All of the building work on this is done. Remaining jobs are getting the inter-plane strut connections right, sorting out the spinner, painting, cockpit detail, guns, rigging. To recap, there are a number of differences on this Spanish Fury version to the plan, related to the Hispano Suiza engine, which affects the cylinder head blisters, exhaust outlets and radiator. The Dowty, “Gladiator” type undercarriage is tricky, I’ve tried to resolve the suspension/damping issues by casting that into a moulded rubber box inside the fuselage. The wing panels slide on and off using carbon fibre rods inside brass tubes and the battery is inserted at an angle from the top to help keep the c of g forward, as well as limiting its forward movement in a “hard landing” (crash!). I’m on it now. 

4FC4674B-D95C-4D50-8FD4-902766FACDE7.jpeg

D0CB93BE-8AD2-43B7-BEFD-8EE960CD4A25.jpeg

E3FBCB5D-EBAF-4B89-9765-50AEBAD75152.jpeg

64F306CC-69AB-418C-9EA9-29B85224DD99.jpeg

• Like 3