K3736- MkI Fury-Jose L.G.

Colin, Martin and Danny, Thanks for your comments.

Only managed to work a bit on the plane. Added the leading edge to the center panel and sanded to shape. Also adjusted the position of the wing. Drilled the holes for the wing bolts throught the top of the wing. Positioned and glued the wing hold-down and some triangles tock for reinforcing the joins.

hpim1606.jpg

The vertical part is the included in the parts set. The horizontal is 3 mm ply (Hight quality. Once drilled I`ll add the blind nuts.

hpim1607.jpg

1/4" triangle added.

José Luis.

This weekend I`ve been working on the drawings of the landing gear for the MK i. Today began the fun factor.

First I separated the brass parts from the main sheet. Tried a few methos of doing it. Hacksaw, jewellers saw, … In the end I used a heavy scisors and doing in áreas.

Once cut I filed the surplus of the tabs with a jewellers file. Bending the brass around the wire is tought.

hpim1610.jpg

The scisors I used for cutting the brass parts. Also I classificated the parts in small bags.

hpim1609.jpg

Main landing gear with tabs fixed. I extended the lenght of the legs 20 mm (the travel of the oleos). Have to glue the bottom wire to the oleo and add the suport for the landing wire on the top. Next I`ll join both parts of the landing gear. The oleos are 110 mm in lenght.

hpim1611.jpg

Added the infill in the strut área.

Cheers.

José Luis

Hi Jose

I am thinking along the same lines as you for the undercarriage

When the oleos compress, the axle will need to slide in the lower wire legs as the distance between the two legs will get shorter. The other way of doing it is to pivot the oleos at the fuselage so they can swing outwards but the axle will then need to pivot on the leg. It looks to me fro your photo that the oleos will be fixed to the fuselage so the axle will need to slide. How are you going to do that?

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 03/12/2018 16:09:15

Hi guys.

Little progress last week. Take advantage of the fabulous weather we had last week- Little wind and temperatures around 20º C. Went flying three days in a row face 1.

Now to the plane.

Aligned the wing with the fuse, drilled the holes for the blind nuts and fixed them.

hpim1612.jpg

hpim1613.jpg

Once I have fixed the center panel of the wing on the fuse finished the landing gear. As I had glued the 4 mm piano wire to the oleos also used glue for fixing the brass part that hold the cross bar of the landing gear. Also had a hole for fixing the metal bracked of the rear part. This bracket is a comercial one from MP-Jet.

hpim1615.jpg

hpim1619.jpg

The cross bar can slide on the brass part, but checking the landing gear the piano wire takes the changes in geometry.

Today began work on the lower panels adding the leading Edge sheet.

hpim1622.jpg

Cheers.

José Luis

Hi Danny. You are right ¡

I`d added a bit of weight with the landing gear modifications, but I have a few plans for saving weight.

First whe I changed the Ply F1 with abalsa one I saved 50 grams.

I`m finishing the plug for the cowl. The one I received fron "S" was in poliester resing and weighted 140 grams. Also was cracked in the bottom and I havn`t noted it. I think I can make one about 80 grams mark. So another 60 grams less.

I had made a carbon spinner at 17 grams plus backplate.

More to come.

José Luis

Thanks Danny. You too ¡

Completed all the capstrips on the bottom panels except the top of the ribs that support the struts.

hpim1625.jpg

Bottom capstrips.

hpim1626.jpg

Top of wings.

Also debur the brass parts and filled the top edges for avoiding cutting the thread. Fixed the brass parts with epoxi, tied with kevlar and fixed with glue. also added some balsa to fill the space betwen the ply and the spar. Need a bit of shapping.

hpim1627.jpg

Will continue.

José Luis

Hi Guys.

Progress of the last days.

After gluing the ply supports for the struts added the remaining capstrips. Also added the leading Edge strips.

hpim1629.jpg

hpim1631.jpg

Today shaped the leading Edge strips. First used arazor plane, next a sanding block.

hpim1633.jpg

Also sanded the top trailing Edge strip and faired the wingtip. Stilla bit of sanding to do.

Next work is to finish the bottom of the nose. Checking the plan I noted that the block of balsa has no use because the bottom must be more or less 1/8" thick. I am going to makea bottom Hatch so I glued some 1/4" triangle around the bottom. Prepared a plyt cover with balsa. Now drying. Tomorrow I`ll cut the Hatch and glue in situ. Next I`ll add the side cheeks with blue foam.

hpim1634.jpg

Till next.

José Luis

Progress….

Added the bottom sheet of the nose Hatch. Once glassedI`ll cut the Hatch.

hpim1635.jpg

Also made a few detail work on the wing pockets for the archor plates of the center panel.

hpim1637.jpg

Added the missing sheet on the bottom of the center panel.

Today carved and glued the foam blocks on the bottom of the nose. As I understand The sheeting finish at the front landing gear wire, behind is covered by the radiator. (??)

hpim1636.jpg

Tomorrow Will sand the foam blocks to shape.

Also working in the mould of the cowl. The plug is finished and I`d applied a few coats of release agent (wax&hellip

I`ll Split the mould on a top/bottom plan, so I`d made a parting board of melamine chipboard. Also drilled 3 holes for the keys of both parts. I use Steel balls. The parting board and balls are being waxed.

hpim1639.jpg

Cheers.

José Luis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Jim.

I`m sorry for my delay on answering your question.

Well, the modell is not ready for covering yet. The sad info it`s that I Will be unable to finish it. I have to quit any type on modelling, Reading, writting, ….

On December 18th I suffered the lost of almost all the eyesight in my left eye (the good one). I now see really bad. The image is crushed, tilted and a missing área. Really dissaponting.

I Will try to follow the others progrees .

As anote have finished the moild for the cowl and after waxing it last monday I layup a first cowl. I`ll open the mould toorrow.

Vheers.

José Luis

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon guys !

Now I'm recovering from surgery on my left eye. Also they put inside some product yo cure the injuries that initiated the Lost of eyesight.

So probably Next weekend I'll be back with my Fury's.

Hi Ernie I"m interested in the masking templates for K3736.

Good winds my friends.