Hawker Fury Mk1 Replica, K1930 (OO-HFU)

Posted by Richard Mallam. on 09/11/2018 14:23:25:

Hi Andy, one of your pics shows a Slim Corona CS-239MG analogue servo overlaid on the side profile of the upper wing. Is this the servo that you intend installing? I have bought a couple, but am having second thoughts as some of the reviews are not great...

Richard

That was my intention Richard, can you point me at the reviews or give more detail, please?

Hi Andy
I have been using these servos on my gliders for a while with no problems. The only problems I am aware of are that
The plastic on the plastic cased variants is a bit brittle and you will need to find a way of rubber mounting them (if using an ic engine) as I don't think they come with grommets..

They are fairly quick, centre well and adequately powered to drive a single aileron

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 10/11/2018 08:55:18

When I said the next job would be to make the wing seating in the fuselage, what I really meant was....... I have to make the wing to fuselage fixing first. It's not essential, but I'd like to fix the position of the wing before I make the wing seats.

I/m a free flight scale modeller at heart, so I have no idea of the strength of fixing I require on this model. The lower wing is partially held by the fuselage shape, but the wing bolts also serve as rear anchor points for the undercarriage legs. Based on that, Danny suggested 4mm allen head steel bolts into 4mm blind nuts. Accordingly, some have been ordered from modelfixings and the wing seat is on hold until they arrive.

In the meantime, I've been progressing the parts of the wing I missed out. The first pic shows the differences between ribs 1, 2 and 3 and the wing itself. Rib 1 is good on length, but the slot needs lengthening and another slot needs cutting at the TE. Ribs 2 and 3 are too short at the front and too long at the back. The photo also flags up that they should have been fitted before adding the wing tip, but I'll do that on the top wing. For this one, I've opened the spar holes and LE slot at the bottom and added the removed bits after fitting the ribs. See pic 2. I also discovered that it's darn near impossible to taper the lower spruce spar in situ, so they'll stay full thickness to the tip. Again, I'll rectify that when I build the top wing

img_7465.jpeg

img_7466.jpeg

After much cogitation, I've decided to web the spars with a central web of 1/16" balsa, grain vertical. I'm introducing a new tool here, too, in the form of an Aldi digital calliper which I used to measure the gap between the spars. I can't remember how much it cost, but it was very reasonable. And while on the subject of Aldi, I picked up 2 x A3 cutting mats there yesterday for the princely sum of £1.49 each.

The pic below shows the webs cut from 1/16" soft balsa, they'll be individually cut to length to fit each spar gap.

img_7467.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

it's time for an update...I've not achieved too much as I've been busy with other things over the past few weeks, but I did manage the odd five minutes here and there.

After webbing both lower wing panels, the next job was to sort the fuselage wing seats. I marked the CL of the wing and the wing fixing plate, then taped the latter to the wing. I've decided to fix the plate horizontal in the fuselage rather than vertical as I believe the fixing solution will be easier. I'll web it either side with 1/8" ply to spread the load into the fuselage when I get the time.

img_7504.jpeg

I then drilled through the wing and mounting plate using a pillar drill with the axis of the drill at right angles to the lower wing surface. I've used 5mm steel bolts for the fixing, with 5mm captive nuts in the plate.

img_7505.jpeg

Next job was to ensure that the wing was positioned correctly with respect to the fuselage and to ensure the plate was at the right angle for the bolts. The plate position was then marked and the whole disassembled....

img_7506.jpeg

.........to allow epoxying of the plate into the fuselage.

img_7507.jpeg

When dry, the wing was protected with clear tape...

img_7516.jpeg

...assembled to the fuselage, and the wing seat glued and pinned in place:

img_7517.jpeg

Having fixed the tank poison, I cut a hole in former one for the tank pipes, and epoxied former one and the bearers to the fuselage. I had several ideas as to where the tank and fuel feeds should go...the results can be seen sketched on the front of the former!:

img_7521.jpeg

Underside view showing tank position.

img_7522.jpeg

I decided to lay out the upper wing this afternoon. First job was to taper the ends of the spars - both left and right panel lower spars are shown below.

img_7527.jpeg

A rib was cut for the aileron servo - the 1/16" slots are for 1/16" ply servo mounting plates.

img_7531.jpeg

...three ribs were then prepared for the servo, servo mounting plates and servo lead:

img_7533.jpeg

Hi Andy, just wondering in which exact location you are planning to place the servos in the upper wing. As I am sure you have seen, there is a larger gap in the rib spacing between ribs 8 and 9 - counting out from the centre section. This gap would appear to accomodate the Corona servo without the need to make a larger opening to fit the servo profile? Or have I missed something?

Richard

You make an interesting point Richard. The model will never be a true scale model as there are too many differences between it and the subject aircraft, so there's no reason why you shouldn't move the servo to the position you suggest. For interest, here's a pic of the servo in that position - I've moved it to the TE of the wing for illustration purposes as the ribs are obscured on the plan mid-chord. As you can see, it's a bit tight, but it does fit.

img_7536.jpeg

I'll be moving the aileron actuation one bay inboard to that shown on the plan as that is the scale position for the aileron control. I've taken a couple of picture to show what I'm doing, the dry-assembly is shown upside down. ....and yes, I know, I've put a hole in the centre rib for the cable when it's not required!

I'm considering a further ply strip for the fixing on the bottom of the servo and maybe some doublers for the ribs. I'll make that decision before covering, but after the wing has been built, the ailerons connected and the whole set-up tried out.

img_7537.jpeg

img_7538.jpeg

The upper wing continues, the spars have been jigged using scrap 1/8" balsa underneath and scrap 1/4" balsa each side. I fit four ribs at a time and hold them in position with engineers squares.

img_7552.jpeg

More ribs added and steel bar stock used as weights to hold the structure down onto the plan

img_7560.jpeg

I'm putting a single web down the middle of each set of spars making a classic 'I' beam. The lower wing was a bit fiddly as it was done after construction, but the upper wing can be done before the upper spar was added. I cut blanks for the webs from soft 1/16" balsa, note grain direction

img_7561.jpeg

The webs are then cut to fit and the lower corners chamfered slightly to clear the inevitable lump of glue in the corners between the lower spars and ribs.

img_7564.jpeg

The rear web progresses

img_7565.jpeg

Rear web complete, upper rear spar added

img_7569.jpeg

Front web complete

img_7570.jpeg

Upper front spar added

img_7571.jpeg

I had to remove the balsa holding the lower spars to the plan in order to fit the webs, so to keep the wing true, I weighed it down with steel bar stock and the engineers squares

img_7572.jpeg

...and finally, the aileron core has been played down, and ribs, TE and LE added. I shifted the aileron back a couple of inches to make it easier to construct. The wing now being dry, I added the wing tip and aileron trailing edge

img_7575.jpeg

Edited By Andy Sephton 1 on 03/12/2018 16:49:32

Looking really good Andy.

I hope you don't mind me interjecting at this point as it is interesting for the group.

Andy has realised that the way the aileron core has been cut is from an outline of the entire aileron. This is not as per the plan, an error in the tracing on my part embarrassed However I would really like to say that it was deliberate because it allows us to make the false leading edge in two sections, an upper and a lower. this should make keeping everything alligned easier. However you do need to trim the aileron cores to the front of the false aileron leading edge.

Martyn split his leading edge as well and kept all of the aileron core I believe.

This section view shows it more clearly. red is the balsa core, and blue the false leading edge in two sections.

aileron section.jpg

I presume Andy you are going to fit a full leading edge section towards the end?

Anyway I hope I haven't misinterpreted what you are thinking???

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 03/12/2018 18:06:03

Edited By Danny Fenton on 03/12/2018 18:06:57

I'm not entirely sure yet how I'm going to finish the aileron, Danny. At the moment, I'm looking at a full span wire running in ali tube for the hinges, with 1/4" balsa either side of the tube instead of 1/2" balsa for the main LE. There will also be a lower false 1/8" balsa LE, plus lower ribs and cap strips for all the ribs, too.

I'm still on the upper wing. The first photo shows the end view of the port wing and aileron - the latter will need a 1/2" balsa fairing added on the leading edge to fit the gap in the wing. My first thoughts on hinging were to have a wire running along the hinge-line, but it would need to exit through the 1/4" sub spar at the wing tip. I'm now looking at Robart hinge points set in brass tube. More of that later.

img_7581.jpeg

Meanwhile the starboard upper wing has been laid down with the starboard aileron. I built it over the port wing plan, but constructed the other way round. The spar separation will be the same, and the LE and TE positions are set by the ribs.

img_7582.jpeg

while the starboard wing dried, I added the trailing edge to the lower side of the two ailerons

img_7586.jpeg

The following pic shows the upper wing roots with spar core pieces and dihedral braces fitted. I'm intending to leave the centre-section for now as I want to fit the ailerons and get them working before I join the wings

img_7592.jpeg

Meanwhile, I added the tip edge pieces to the top and bottom of the wing tips

img_7593.jpeg

..and finished the basic assembly of both ailerons, top..

img_7594.jpeg

...and bottom. There's still one rib to be fitted to both.

img_7595.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been concentrating on connecting the ailerons to the wing so I can finally decide on the configuration. First off was to decide how to hinge them. After cogitating the problem for a few weeks, and after several conversations with Danny, I decided on Robart hinge points. These needed to be extended, so I used ali-tube cyano'd to one end of the hinges:

img_7619.jpeg

5/16" blocks were then fitted to the aileron and wing - the inboard hinge eventually needed two blocks. Hinge mounting blocks and hinges are shown below. 3/16" strip was added to the other side of the aileron to support the aileron horn.

img_7670.jpeg

Tool time - I bought this one from Amazon. It's a jewellers saw, it came with 144 blades and cost less than £20. It went through the glass aileron horn mounting tags like a knife through butter - it's also good for metals such as ali tube...but that's another story!

img_7671.jpeg

...and this is how it ended up. There's still a leading edge to be added to the aileron and capping strips. There's also a lot of shaping and sanding to do, but the set up was only to fix the positions of the control actuators and to see if I could hide the servo arm in the wing... Note that the servo arm is set at an angle to give differential aileron movement. i.e. more up than down. The following three pictures show the underside of the wing. (I couldn't find my servo tester, so the aileron servo has been connected to the throttle channel on an Rx and the transmitter used to check the aileron throw.

img_7684.jpeg

img_7696.jpeg

img_7697.jpeg

Unfortunately, to give the aileron movement I require (as much as possible), the actuating arm needs to be some distance from the servo, and therefore, protrudes slightly above the wing surface. This is the neutral position:

img_7703.jpeg

The next shows fully up

img_7688.jpeg

and the following fully down - note the different angle of full up and full down.

img_7691.jpeg

The above was all dry fitted, so it'll now come apart to enable finishing of the wing and aileron structure, and the fabrication of a suitable hatch.

.........and finally, last weekend I took delivery of a rather nice 3D printed radiator from Tony B. The item comes in two parts and really looks the business. If you're interested, please PM him....I'm sure he'll come to a suitable arrangement with you! wink

img_7672.jpeg

img_7674.jpeg

Edited By Andy Sephton 1 on 15/12/2018 11:37:29

Having decided on the aileron servo position, I'v now moved on to the fuselage and servo positions for the rudder, elevators and throttle.

I've added a ply plate in the first bay behind the firewall to separate the tank from the servos. I'm aiming to get the servos, battery and tank as far forward as possible. I'm also intending to have a separate bay for the tank in case of leakage. This will, of course, necessitate a hatch on top of the fuselage as well as on the bottom. The receiver and switch will be in the cockpit, which will necessitate the addition of some servo extension leads.

The below picture shows the game plan for the empennage - the two outboard servos will have snakes to each of the elevators, the middle servo will have a closed loop connection to the rudder. All three servos will be mounted close to the firewall:

img_7711.jpeg

Looking under the ply plate in the same bay, I'm planning to have the tank on the left side of the fuselage and the engine servo on the right (the fuselage is upside down in the shot below). I've not yet fitted the ply plate to separate the tank from the servo. I'll also need to block off the large hole in the former behind the tank.

img_7712.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing around with CAD and have drawn out the markings for the model in two forms. One for printing tissue for a free flight rubber model I've part built, the other set for sending to a cutter/plotter to cut the markings for the 60" model. I took separate screen shots of the drawings, but the forum wouldn't accept them, so I took a picture of the five drawings on my computer screen and that's what's posted here. The drawings will need scaling before I can use them, but I now have the information I need to create what I want.

The picture shows from top left: fin and elevator checks, top wing, lower wing, fuselage and rudder.

img_7913.jpeg

I've not mentioned the rubber powered Fury here. It's a model I started a couple of years ago, being a 150% Veron Fury produced by the Vintage Model Co. I was building it for BMFA Outdoor Kit Scale competition and to illustrate CAD for creating markings for a magazine article. The fin/rudder, tailplane and elevators have been covered already - the below photo shows their current state, covered but not yet shrunk or doped. The wings and fuselage await printing of the tissue using the above files. As the finished model is of the same full-size aircraft as my Bryant Fury, it'll be a good test of the markings.

img_3641 (1).jpeg