Hawker Fury Mk1 Replica, K1930 (OO-HFU)

Thanks Danny... and yes, you must. It's a really elegant way of getting a light finish and as a plus it tests the markings for a larger model. The downside is that you end up with a model looking a bit like a stained-glass-window, which blows the realism marks straight out of the window - pun intended! It is allowed in BMFA Scale Indoors in the Kit Scale event, though.

I've been working on the fuselage servo installation and the second wing aileron/servo set-up. There are no pictures of the latter as it's similar to the other wing.

I've gone for a smaller tank and separate bay for the tank and engine servo. There'll be a hatch to cover both bays. I've also blanked the hole in the former at the back of the tank bay to isolate it from the remainder of the model.

img_8559.jpeg

The control snake (bowden cable) from the servo to the carb will go through the firewall at the point marked in pencil by an 'X' with a circle around it. As you can see from the graffiti on the firewall, I've gone through several iterations in the planning stage....

img_8561.jpeg

Posted by Silver Wolf on 18/01/2019 13:34:32:

Hi Andy,

Just about to consider tank and radio layout before starting to put fusealge sides together. I am considering a similar layout as yours. How do you plan access to tank and throttle servo?

Regards

SW

I'll have a removable hatch that covers both bays SW. The tank will be filled, pressurised and fed to the engine via the rectangular hole in the firewall.

Posted by Richard Mallam. on 18/01/2019 15:53:11:

Hi Andy, regarding the mark (and servo positioning) you have made for the servo / throttle linkage through the firewall, am I right in assuming that you will be fitting a Laser engine and if so will that mark line up with the throttle connection on the engine itself? Are you planning on a Laser 80?

Thanks, Richard

The mark lines up with the throttle control on my Laser 70, Richard. I'll take a pic next time I'm in the workshop.

Posted by Richard Mallam. on 18/01/2019 15:53:11:

Hi Andy, regarding the mark (and servo positioning) you have made for the servo / throttle linkage through the firewall, am I right in assuming that you will be fitting a Laser engine and if so will that mark line up with the throttle connection on the engine itself? Are you planning on a Laser 80?

Thanks, Richard

The mark lines up with the throttle control on my Laser 70, Richard. I'll take a pic next time I'm in the workshop.

I've been working on the ailerons and have added 1/2" triangular stock to the LE rather than carve 1/2" stock to the shape on the plan. It's not exactly correct, but it'll do for a flying only model.

img_8578.jpeg

The aileron was then dry fitted to the port wing and the servo screwed in position. The picture shows the underside of the wing:

img_8588.jpeg

As far as the flying surfaces go, it's upper wing joining next.

Ikura - Thanks for the kind words, Any photos will need to be taken outside, so as soon as the weather is suitable and I have the time to get the model outside, I'll do as you request.

Richard - You're welcome.

Martyn - Thanks also for the kind words. I'll be leaving the lower part of the engine cowl from the disc behind the propeller to the firewall open. The engine sticks out a bit anyway, so it shouldn't make too much difference to the side view. I'm hoping that it will be not too noticeable in the air.

• 3 weeks later...

Building has been a bit sporadic over the past week or so, but nevertheless, the upper wings have been joined, the ribs added, the trailing edge doublers added, the false leading edge shaped, the LE sheeting cut and the latter added to the upper surface of the outer panels:

img_8839.jpeg

More LE sheeting next (underside and centre-section), then rib capping strips!

Hi Andy, great work and you are way ahead of me (and I guess Most of us!) I have just discovered that my Laser 80 is going to be difficult to fit. In one of your posts you are holding a laser 70 inverted and it looks as tho' you are going to fit the engine on the bottom of the bearers, if so how will you get the corect thrust line for the prop? Or am missing something such as you realised this would be a problem before fitting the bearers?

Regards

Jim

As Danny rightly said, Jim, I'm mounting the engine on a 1/4" paxolin plate. The bearers are in the position shown on the plan, which, with a 1/4" mounting plate, will put the engine thrust line in the correct place. The perspective of the photo in the above post makes it look as iff the bearers are level with the engine mounting lugs, which they are not.

I've been working on the aileron cut-out in the wing over the past few days. Once that's done I can start adding the rib capping strips.

The following photos show my perception of how the cut-out should be dressed. Essentially, there's a strip of 1/4" triangle balsa at the top. This is capped by a strip of 1/16" x 15mm cross grained balsa to create a shroud. The aileron root cutout is also strengthened by a strip of 1/16" x 15mm, but this time the grain is along the long edge. Underneath, the cutout is outlined by a strip of 1/16" x 1/8" to bring the sub-spar into line with the rib capping strips. The photos should tell the story:

img_8869.jpeg

img_8870.jpeg

img_8871.jpeg

img_8887.jpeg

img_8888.jpeg

img_8889.jpeg

img_8890.jpeg

img_8896.jpeg

img_8897.jpeg

img_8898.jpegimg_8892.jpeg

Looking ahead to the rib capping strips, I did a rough quantity check and discovered that it'll take some thirty five 36" lengths of 1/8" x 1/16" to cap all the ribs. So, to save a bit of balsa, I've started stripping the remains from the laser-cut wood into 1/16" x 1/8" strips. The stripper is available from SAMS Models.

img_8899.jpeg

Making the aileron shroud has allowed me to start adding the capping strips....but it's also flagged up some omissions on the plan.

First off, the fairing at the aileron root is relatively unsupported. Nevertheless, it remains pretty stiff, so I'll probably leave it as is.

img_8900.jpeg

The next omission is the lack of balsa between the aileron cut out and the wing tip. Part S1 between the aileron shroud and the TE and part S2 are not thick enough and need to be built up with 1/16" balsa both top and bottom.

img_8908.jpeg

Here's a view from the TE showing the added balsa on top of S2. Balsa below S2 is yet to be added.

img_8902.jpeg

..and this time from above on the other wing

img_8907.jpeg

Meanwhile, I've been adding capping strips to the ailerons and using UHU Hart in an attempt to keep the adhesive weight down.

img_8922.jpeg

I temporarily lost the 1/4" Paxolin plate for the engine mount, so having found it yesterday, I marked it out ready for cutting for the Laser 70.

img_8926.jpeg

...and finally, I nearly forgot to add the strut supports and rigging wire lands to the wings before finishing the capping strips. I started to saw the parts off the brass sheet, but in the end, used a pair of clippers to get the release started, then pulled the parts away by bending backwards and forwards until the tabs failed. The tabs were then filed off and the required bend put into the part using a pair of round tyne pliers. A test fit was then essayed onto the ply parts that will be attached to the wing. The brass parts will need to be bound to the spars first, but I wanted to make sure they fitted the holes in the ply fairings.

img_9559.jpeg