S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

As we are getting nearer to the start of the build I suppose I had better put a thread on the forum to cover my build.

I think you all know me by now so not much to say. Been modelling off and on since i was given a sheet of 1/4 balsa by my Dad back in the mid 60's.

Wine women and song pulled me away from aeromodelling but every few years I would drift back. A work colleague showed me some pics of his models back in 07 and next thing I knew I was breathing balsa dust again. Thanks Stu Smith!

I have not tackled a biplane with flying and landing wires before so this will be new to me. The rest of the build looks fairly straight forward.

The new challenges for me are: 1. Flying wires on a scale biplane. 2. Silk over tissue for the covering. 3. Polished litho cowlings. I have made some panels before but never polished them.

I have been deliberating for some time on a subject. A big part of me wanted to model the yellow Nimrod based at Duxford, however I don't want to get into modifying the wings etc. I want to fly this next year if possible.

Just to give a bit more detail, mine will be electric, will have a bellacrank AND servos for R/C. It will also have a sound system. I cannot be doing with losing so many marks in comps!!

So drum roll please............ I am going to base my Fury on the HAC MkI based at Duxford. K5674.

Roll on October the first......

Edited By Danny Fenton on 27/08/2018 19:02:03

I'll look forward to seeing this one progress, Danny.

It's interesting what you say about sound. That particular aspect of the model is marked separately and the criteria is realism. I know it's an emotive subject, but electric models do not sound realistic, so they gain around 2 to 3 marks out of 10. IC models are nowhere near the full-size noise, but they do sound better than an electric powered model (I know that's a matter of opinion), so they get around 7 marks out of 10. I have no experience of marking sound systems, but although they sound good on the ground, they leave a lot to be desired in the air. It'll be interesting to see how the judges mark such things when they become a bit more common.

Subscribed as well, Danny.

... and, as I will be having a late start on my K4316, I'm trying to find a 'discrete' seat at the very back of the Classroom. angel

I particularly liked your mention of "the rest looks fairly straight forward", but I suppose you forgot to add "to me" (yourself) at the end... surprise

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Well, somewhere in the second half of last century, the Master Teachers used to be totally 'consistent'. angel

Even when they were totally wrong, of course.

Nowadays, the Masters seem to act quite differently so it seems. surprise

But then, even 'Nostalgia isn't what it used to be anymore'... ppfff... wink

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Martian on 23/09/2018 11:00:26:

It was a subtle pun Elgar wrote a piece called Nimrod 😏 sorry bout that

Well it's one of the movements from the Enigma Variations and is intended to describe his friend Jaeger (German for hunter) and Nimrod is a hunter which is probably why it's used to describe this aeroplane (and, of course, the DH Comet based aircraft with the same name).

I almost certainly won't be building this model (way out of my skill-set) but I love biplanes and this is one of the most beautiful, so I'll be following with interest.

Geoff

I did get the link Martian, and listened to "nimrod" for a while but not my cup of tea

I am sure you would cope Geoff, after all that is what the rest of the group is for, support, encouragement and a peek at how others tackle a problem

Soon be time to start. My bench is full of Apache at the mo, suppose I better think about some fresh glue and a clear up

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny.

Also clearing the work bench. Just finished a glider, ASW-28, almost 4 meters in span. Other projects in the pipe. Soon to be gluing balsa (Hope not on my fingers)….

Ordered the forkends for both planes. Thinking on landing gear for the Spanish Fury……. Get fun begings.

José Luis.

P.S.: charging camera batts.

Edited By Jose L. G. on 27/09/2018 09:26:57