S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

I managed a little more detailing:

Firstly a friend Eric printed me a hex radiator core, not as easy as you would first think. Eric has been cadd-ing since DOS days and still found it interesting enough to persevere. Thanks Eric that's yet another pint I owe you.

826.jpg

I took a look at the Aldis gun-sight. By my reckoning it is 88 mm long by around 5.5 mm. I based my rendition on two straws, some 28swg piano wire and some styrene strip, flat section and half round.

828.jpg

The piano wire pierces the inner straw and runs along the spine, these is held in place with Sellotape (other tapes are also available lol) Then a second straw is cut length wise and slipped over the first including the piano wire. This restores the shape to a tube without the piano wire being visible.

The styrene bits were added. Finding a glue was a real pain, the straws refused to stick!! thick CA and activator was the order of the day!!

829.jpg

The hole under the wing was indeed a challenge, as it is litho plate, it was tougher than just Flite-Metal, but I managed with a tiny drill hand held. going up in size one at a time.

The two holes were plugged with micro Bowden outer, thin CA holds them fast. The piano wire legs kinked just enough to grab the tubing. All this based on Eric's idea, thanks mate.

831.jpg

The legs were sleeved with some stripped servo wire insulation. This was measured from the plan so hopefully pushed down until the insulation touches should set the angle.

832.jpg

A drop of KK black that's been in the freezer a week (a way to keep it once mixed wink 2  ) PS do defrost it thoroughly before spraying.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 03/07/2020 16:28:52

• 2 weeks later...

Danny, and others... ;^)

Way back...remember the way back machine? Way back when I first began there was a dealer in the UK. Margins do not permit typical distributor pricing. I never received a second order from the quote, unquote dealer. I have enjoyed a large number of UK customers...in fact a Top Gun, World Jet Meet, and FAI champion.

Ed

• 9 months later...

So I think the time has come to send the Fury aloft.

I bolted a 20 x 13 Xoar prop on the beast and charged the two 5S 2700mAh packs.

Was really pleased with 846 Watts, the model only weighs 4.5lbs

What I was really impressed with was the thrust, big slow prop really does work well.

The sound system also doesn't have to fight the motor whir to much either at the low RPM. 

847.thumb.jpg.d543f852079b2e8efc6bb2afaf771859.jpg

846.thumb.jpg.1d7fa537d9be5b884bf2f8714f71e701.jpg

Hopefully my cap-cam will grab the moment ?

Cycle clips, check!

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

So a bit of a let down really. Spent two hours travelling and rigging only to find a problem with the starboard aileron. It had swollen and was binding. It was also way offset. I tinkered for a bit, took some pics and then de-rigged and went home. So I am afraid no maiden today.

I thought that the RDS had slipped, but fortunately when I put a servo tester on the wing it worked just fine, so it is something to do with the new Rx. A job for tomorrow.

DSC_8135.thumb.JPG.50110068cdf521f0ccdd003bc8198248.JPG

DSC_8149.thumb.JPG.460a24b0fdb65d799e0eff5af1e27805.JPG

But it did look quite splendid in the evening sunshine

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 3

Yesterdays attempt did teach me a great deal. rigging on a table doesn't work the model rolls to well. Also loading the car was a nightmare.

Sorting and adding the rigging wires too was a slow exercise. So to try and speed things along I have made a cradle, this also allows 4 of the eight wires to remain attached, and organises the others. I can rig in this stand as well.

20210423_153417.thumb.jpg.70be885320fcb25e1f94c6c24a84591b.jpg

20210423_154302.thumb.jpg.70487b665604a8e5f00fc22730812204.jpg

20210423_161902_resized.thumb.jpg.5d06462f38e049e65addee8bc5336130.jpg

20210423_161908_resized.thumb.jpg.a01cf990765d2953e2bdb2e2fd2b2d4f.jpg

20210423_161912_resized.thumb.jpg.3f12d7c50d1e5dfc7b91a10fd89b91ad.jpg

20210423_161929_resized.thumb.jpg.abdfccaae2d3cdaf18c32445c4ff69aa.jpg

Right better load the car

Cheers

Danny

• Like 2

Hi Danny, I had this fear that I would have to strip it down to get it in the car. I have the Flair SE5 which is not a lot smaller and that went i the car no bother. When I tried the Fury it would not fit and my wings don't separate. I found if I put the tail plane in first into the recess of the rear small window and held the plane high over the  wheel arch I could swing it in and it would sit diagonally in behind the front seats. A shoe horn would have been useful.

Eric.

Yes I remember the conversation Eric, alas the new Mondeo is a bit different in the space department, my older one was much roomier. They advertise it as more space, volume maybe but usable? I am not so sure.

Anyway the cradle worked really well, and rigging time was down to 30 minutes, de-rigging just twenty. Its the price i am willing to pay for those super sexy clevises ?

tonight's efforts again ended in no flight. The range tests were appalling, head on I got a zero!!! absolutely total signal loss, that's the problem with all that litho plate I guess. I am going to have to revisit my Rx solution, possibly a satellite in the tail or at least rear fuselage.

But I did get to trundle around a bit, and was surprised at how well the suspension worked, it tracked really well. At one point the tail came up at barely walking speed.

1433013976_Chris1.thumb.JPG.cb9b79aed2f1e43c8dfd2f90f33d73dd.JPG

Like to thank Chris Bott for his company and camera work

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton

That is annoying Danny, it looks great with the big prop turning. I have not had any range problems with the basic Futaba RX although I have only the top panels made from litho. plate. many years ago when I had the Bulldog a friend built the Fury and done all the panels in litho. even the cowl which did not look too good on the ground as he spliced the litho to fit the curves. At the time we were using basic radio 35mhz and he had no problems with the range. 

Cheers Eric.

14 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

That is annoying Danny, it looks great with the big prop turning. I have not had any range problems with the basic Futaba RX although I have only the top panels made from litho. plate. many years ago when I had the Bulldog a friend built the Fury and done all the panels in litho. even the cowl which did not look too good on the ground as he spliced the litho to fit the curves. At the time we were using basic radio 35mhz and he had no problems with the range. 

Cheers Eric.

Hi Eric, with 35Mhz you could run the aerial wire outside the airframe

There are other things involved with my Fury, there is a sound system amp fitted and they can play a part. FRSKY used to do long aerial leads, but not that I know of for the S8R stabilised Rx. A satellite capable Rx with the satelite just behind the cockpit should work, just means upsetting the Rx installation.

Cheers

Danny

Others may correct me but if your Rx is using the pad type aerials you can change them for the whisker type (older Rx have a larger connector). I’ve certainly done it on some of my older Rx and not had a problem, range may have changed slightly but still capable of LOS flights.