Ken’s Fury

Hi all, this will only be a sporadic posting place for when I find or do something that may be of mild interest to others building the Fury, there are far more skilled people already doing admirable builds on here.

a609ba00-76b9-46d1-b9e4-ef6bb510abdf.jpeg

I’m going to fit a Laser 80 so marked it’s position on the plan, then modified the firewall to suit using 1/4 ply to maintain its rigidity, I’ve also added another layer of 1/8 ply at F2 where the undercarriage fits as I’ve enlarged the hole for the tank to accept a SLEC 14 ounce tank

Recessed firewall

a7d53863-9c07-403d-be0c-0e4ccbb33b95.jpeg

One thing I’ve noticed on the plan is the grain direction for the upper forward ‘longeron’ and I think some may have it going the wrong way

8550b43e-b251-4de6-a4e7-a8e2ac4036ba.jpeg

I think some confusion has been caused by the upper and lower views on the plan

It makes more sense to me to have the grain fore and aft so that’s the way it’s going on mine

More later as it comes

Ken

Welcome 'on board', Ken.

Nice progress you already had.

Regarding the 'upper side longeron', you're probably right but I'll let one of the Masters give comment to that.

Strangely, looking at your drawing pic, it seems there that F6 is rounded instead of 'flat topped'... question

Anyhow, subscribed, young man.

Cheers

Chris

Welcome to the build Ken, and good to have you on board.

I hadn't even questioned the grain direction as it was mentioned to me as being cross grain, before we even started the build, I should have checked, and you are indeed correct! I doubt it will make a great deal of difference however.

More of an issue is the poor outline of the side formers and upper bulkheads, my reworked ones are still not perfect

A Taylor plan it is not

Cheers
Danny

Hi Ken, that is alarming but we did see it on one of the other builds.

I would be worried that your plan is not to scale? The wings should give you a measurement to check, C/L to tip of the upper wing is 30"

For the fus, from the tip of the spinner to the trailing edge of the rudder is 1330mm or 52 3/8" in old money

Cheers

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this thread, so apols for the late comment. I believe it was I that persuaded Danny that the upper forward longeron (as you call it) grain direction was across-ship. While the isometric view at the top of the plan shows the grain as along the fuselage, the plan view at the bottom of the plan shows it as transverse. In the overall scheme of things, I don't believe it really matters, but I thought it worth posting the reason for the decision.

Servo installationServo’s installed, I had to recess the engine bearers to give enough clearance for the servo arms, I’m thinking of using snakes as per the prototype, but maybe only to a couple of bellcranks, one each for the elevator and rudder, and then a pushrod to the elevators and closed loop for the rudder - we’ll see!

Ken

Edited By Ken Lighten on 30/11/2018 12:13:48

Edited By Ken Lighten on 30/11/2018 13:14:25

10c82c80-caf2-4de3-9820-c1c9a7c0f851.jpeg68ec6a68-8f7e-4a7b-aaf0-79bed1274e45.jpeg

Virtually completed the fuselage servo installation, decided on pushrods but using snake inner and outer pieces to support the rods through the frames, rudder bellcrank is bushed with an aluminium bearing on a plain shank bolt adjusted to provide free movement with no slop, closed loop to the rudder (cables installed but awaiting the rudder t one fitted for final connection and adjustment). Pushrod to the elevators will be the straightest route possible and in two parts, the rod from the servo, and another rod from the elevators which will be permanently connected on final assembly with joint within the lower wing mount area

I thought it would be a good idea to get this sorted now before the fuselage was too ‘damageable’ and was too much of a hangar rash magnet!

Ken