Thanks Martian, as it is not 100% scale those guns should be OK. I wrote about the strut popping out during a flight on Danny's Thread because I think more people read his postings. I have not had time to check over the plane to find out why this happened but will when my family go back home on Sunday. Cheers Eric.

Thanks Danny, after checking over the Fury the only conclusion is that the rigging slackened off and needed re - tensioning. I done this and took it out for a few flights. Due to the rain I only managed one, it flew well despite a rising wind ( it had been calm till I reached the field) I brought it in after 5 mins. as the wind was picking up, a nice landing meant nothing should have changed. All the wires were in tension so I can only put it down to wire stretch and settling in, a bit like tuning a guitar which needs regular re tuning . I still have that washout appearance on the lower wing which I think could only be taken out by making the rear strut longer but this would mean taking it apart as it would terminate further back. As it is the Fury fly's nice very stable and even in the strong wind it landed smooth .

Cheers Eric.

That is great to Hear Eric, are all the soldered joints okay? no signs of distress?

I have just written my column and mentioned your clevis method, allowing them to be adjusted without removal, very neat. I have given you full credit of course sir

Nothing to show on mine, I have spent a couple of days programming the Tx, but I am struggling with some of the things that I am trying to do. Might have to call in the big guns, and "call a friend"

Its quite a thin wing section so perhaps that's how it penetrates the wind so well?

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Danny, these new fangled Tx's can be confusing I don't use a quarter of the things in mine but at least when I go to the field I can get on with flying instead of playing about with programmes. One of the best flyers in our club still uses an old Futaba 35 and still manages great flights with scale aircraft including twins.He doesn't do electrics either. If I make another biplane I will silver solder the rigging ad look into improving on it .

Cheers Eric.

In fairness I am asking the tx to do something quite unusual and it has taken a bit to get my head around how to do it. If I wanted it to behave like an old 35 mhz then it would take moments. I finally figured it out tonight. There is just some telemetry data that needs laying out on the screens how I like them and we are ready to fly. It will e a while before that happens though I dare say.

Got a power panel to wire up, but still waiting for the microswitches to arrive so I can do that.

The reeves rigging bits are very good indeed. I will use them again.

Cheers

Danny

Well it happened again the dreaded strut popping out this time after coming out of a loop. It nosed over on the previous landing (pilot error ) after righting it I taxied it back to the pits felt the wings and rigging all seemed well then after 5 mins flying a strut popped out fortunately just off the strip. I had to loosen the rigging to get it back in, as it happens after loosing the strut it flew on a full circuit and landed perfectly. I am looking at soldering another 3 mm on the end of the locating tags.

Eric r,

Yes Danny I have just looked at the drawing and there is not a lot of room to extend them. I have been comparing the tags on the Bryant Bulldog plan and they are 6mm long compared with 3mm on the Fury. The Bulldog tags are fastened to the wings and fit in slots in the struts, this is easy to do on the Bulldog as the struts flare out at the ends. I am going to remove the struts on the Fury this morning and see if I can get any extra on the tag before it hits the strut.

Cheers Eric.

Hi Danny and all, the small brass fittings on Ernie's etching have a slightly shorter tag than the double v strut fitting. I have soldered 1mm piece of brass on the end of the small tags and after filing it down to just under a mm. it fits in the slot. weather this is enough to hold it in remains to be seen as the forecast is not good for the next few days.

Hi Danny and all, this is the end of the D.Bryant Bulldog strut, the tag is much longer than the Fury. I never had problems with the struts popping out on the Bulldog. The wires did need tensioning now and again. That's why I made the Fury ones adjustable without disconnecting them.

I should stop looking at the Bulldog plan as I get a terrific urge to build another and there are no laser cut parts for it.indecisiondsc_0619[791].jpg

Edited By Eric Robson on 03/07/2020 11:25:14

Hi Danny, if we have a long bad winter I would do it the way I done the first one only now I could print the formers and ribs off the plan. I don't think even the Sinclair Spectrum. was about when I made the first one. The engine was the most difficult part.

I think the extra may do the job on the struts along with careful tensioning and no nose over landings.

Cheers Eric.

After tensioning the rigging I had to file some more off the tag as I was unhappy with the way they sat on the wing. the amount extra left on the tag seemed insignificant so I tried this on the small tags, it fits in the slot and goes down the side of the main spar. Unless it snaps off it has to come a long way out. Fingers crossed.dsc_0617[795].jpg

• 1 month later...

This is the best picture I could get of the guns 3d printed by Martian, very happy with them, just waiting for some calmer weather before flying it again, last time out cartwheeled on landing due to gusty conditions and not enough speed on finals. Only superficial damage easily repaired.dsc_0627[967].jpg