• 3 weeks later...

After 4 weeks on and off, (off due to 4 flying days before lockdown and two weeks of winter bug) I have reached this stage with the Fury. Today I hope to complete the lower wing. I had a Homer Simpson Doh moment gluing the right aileron, after joining the 1/16" profile to the leading edge and leaving it overnight to dry I found I had 2 lefts, now sorted. Many thanks to Ernie for the etched sheet that has saved a lot of messing around with fiddley bits. And thanks to all contributors to the build thread. Eric r.dsc_0505[220].jpg

Thanks Martian, I have been looking at your build thread and see you have went electric. What size battery will you be using? I am planning on the same set up as my M.E109, an Overlander 5055/06 with 5s 5000 I get 7 mins. flight with loads of power, run on 1/2 throttle mostly. I hope mine turns out as good as yours having said that I will not be going over the top with detail as it will probably spend its life flying from our club grass strip, so stand off scale is the order of the day.

How is your health? I hope you are well and getting over the big C.

Hi Martian, that should have plenty of power. A long way from the early days of electric, 2-3mins. flight after a javelin type launch. When Aerotek was selling off I bought a profile mosquito kit and fattened it up looked pretty good, I fitted two brushed 600 motors in it and launched it from the top of a small hill, it immediately headed down and I thought it was going to land when about 6" off the ground it levelled off and flew at that height for about 30ft. then gradually lifted and I managed a few circuits before the battery faded. I later put 2 Axi motors in and it was ballistic.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, with the lockdown I have made progress on the Fury, the idea was to not go overboard with the detail. I took the decision to clad the fuselage with thin aluminium sourced from Fosters lager cans, this is my attempts to date. A bad decision was to try to replicate the dzus fasteners as it distorts the ali. I tried the foil from baking trays it is the same thickness as lithoplate but too soft and easy marked where marks should not be. I hope this will not affect the radio signal, Eric r.dsc_0512[230].jpg

dsc_0514[233].jpgAfter spending hours forming lithoplate, sorry lager cans I took a break and made an oleo leg well, just the slot to mill in. I used what was once the wing joiner for a large model 1/2" aluminium tube and turned the sliding part from acetal plastic the 4 mm piano wire goes deep onto the plastic to support it. I found two springs in my odds and ends box and fitted up it pushes the scales at 3 kg just before fully compressed so hopefully it will be ok for the Fury.dsc_0513[232].jpg

Hi Martian, I did not anneal the cans as what I have done up to now has more or less been single curves I will try annealing when I come to the compound curves. Don't know what it will smell like when the print burns off. I have finished the oleo, tomorrow I will make the other side I had no drawings I just made it up as I went along so I will have to dismantle this one to measure it up. I see you have built a Spitfire on another thread that is what I am going to do next. It is the CAP .plan same size as yours 55" span there has been a lot of comments about the CAP plans lately about lack of instructions so I may do a blog on it . I made one many years ago off the plan the local model shop used to sell them for £2 I had quite a few I still have the Mosquito plan another project if I live that long . The thing with CAP plans is to use them for guidance as they build up like brick toilets I cut a lot of weight out of the Spitfire and flew it with an OS 35 and even had Goldburg retracts , It did fly well.

Eric.

Thanks Martin & Martian for your comments, today I made the other leg and set them up. Martin I am making the axle attachment similar to yours but using 5mm brass tube with the ends flattened and drilled for the axle. I have formed the part for the rear and plan to do the ends the same. On the screws that slide in the slots of the legs I am thinking of putting nylon washers behind the head of the screw to act as spring dampers and also assist the springs if needed. Just a thought at the moment and may not be needed.

Eric.dsc_0518[236].jpg

Thanks Martin and Jose. Martin it is an illusion they are very old Flair vintage wheels that have been lying in my shed. they were last on a Gloster Gladiator 30 years ago. I painted the rim mat black to give the illusion of a thicker tyre. seems like it still works. They need to be refurbished . Don't know if Danny reads this but thanks for the Idea for the landing gear. I will probably be expelled from the class as I am covering mine with silver Oratex dope upsets my tummy.

Eric.

A frustrating day today. After cladding the cabane section I set up the jig for the top wing the formed wires were a mile out , so another session bending wire I have one piece left so it has to be right. As it was warm and sunny I sprayed a coat of paint onto the cowl to see what it looked like. It is Simonise chrome paint and it will need a few coats to get a good finish. This is my progress to date, nothing fastened one.

Martin I was a factory foreman some years ago and I did have to deal with some difficult dopes.dsc_0523[246].jpg

Hi Martian and all, I have had a lot of trouble getting the cabane and struts right ,it now fits the jig and is all soldered up . I have kept walking away and banging out some music , really I should have concentrated on the job in hand but after forming most of my stock of wire to get it right I was ready to give up ,but I made it in the end. hopefully all down hill from now on. Looking at Danny's Nimrod I see he has webbed the wing spars, I did did ask the question but have not yet had a reply. The drawing does not show webs on the spars is this belt and braces or has there been problems with the strength of the wings. As I am about to cover the top wing I think I will put them on anyway. I managed to get some flour from the supermarket yesterday so as a break I may bake some pies,

That is looking gorgeous Eric. No there is no problem with the wings it's just nowadays inter spar webbing is quite often the norm I can't remember but I'm pretty sure I used webbing and Danny's wing are split in the center as did others and they are more experienced than me

Thanks Martin, I always put webs in when called for ,Brian Taylor plans always use them. Some times wings can be too ridged. I am weight watching now as it is up to 3kg. with motor esc and battery and still a lot to do. I have not fitted the motor yet but I put the battery and motor in the compartment behind F1 and it almost balanced, just slightly tail heavy.