Welcome to RCM&E's new forum!

On the old forum when someone posted on a thread that I was following I got an email to let me know.

On this one that has been lost. That means that people posting questions about my designs will not get an answer because I am not going to go looking at every one of the threads that I have been following.

I note that I now get an email if I get a PM but not my threads THAT ISTHE WRONG ORDER!!!

Edited by Peter Miller
typing correction

I noticed that by default notifications to threads I follow were disabled. It appears you can only set up notifications via a PC, not a mobile. Look for the bell in the top corner, and make sure you have selected email for the posts you follow.

It is much better, but you have to scratch around a bit to figure it out. I love it, and well done to everybody involved.

Made my day when I got my first "like" to a post.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

The new site certainly looks good, but I'm having a few issues with it. The biggest is that I can't scroll through pages of a thread! For example, this thread appears to have five pages at this point in time, but I'm stuck on 5 of 5 and can't access the others. I'm using Firefox and Slackware Linux in case that is relevant.

I also miss the "latest posts" section of the old site, which gave a summary of all the recent forum traffic, regardless of which section it was in.

I guess teething problems are inevitable, so please don't take this as "bashing"! ?

--

Pete

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nigel R said:

ok

login problems seem to have vanished

found the notifications bell on/off

found the email for thread following

found my own gallery - bit obscure that one

I can't find the gallery from my mobile device.

Am I missing something?

No there are a few things you cannot access from a mobile, caught me out too

14 minutes ago, Peter Christy said:

The biggest is that I can't scroll through pages of a thread! For example, this thread appears to have five pages at this point in time, but I'm stuck on 5 of 5 and can't access the others. I'm using Firefox and Slackware Linux in case that is relevant.

I also miss the "latest posts" section of the old site, which gave a summary of all the recent forum traffic, regardless of which section it was in.

The link to page #1 seems to be broken. Other direct page links seem to work ok. 'go to' page seems to be broken. This is on mobile site - android/samsung browser (chrome based).

Windows & Chrome, seems ok.

1 minute ago, Basil said:

Yes miss the ability to look at the latest posts, after all thats what the forum is about.If thats not available then its lost most of its interest, as I am finding it not as good as the old one.

Basi

try 'unread content'

right at top of page, click 'forum' then immediately under that is 'unread content'

seems to be what 'latest posts' used to bring up, but wearing a fancy new hat

1 minute ago, Nigel R said:

The link to page #1 seems to be broken. Other direct page links seem to work ok. 'go to' page seems to be broken. This is on mobile site - android/samsung browser (chrome based).

Windows & Chrome, seems ok.

Try clicking "all activity" or "unread" posts, that will give you a list similar to the sidebar on the old site

The list of new posts is just tooooooooooooooooooo big. Every little thing comes up in the list, with every new post in a thread separately. To make this useable the new posts need to be grouped as the most recent post in the thread - as in the old forum and most other forums. I have to scroll through 100 posts on this thread, and everybody sorting out their albums to find the actual model flying content in the build blogs.

I have at least found out that you can make the news all new posts, not just new unread ones. Otherwise 'where did that post go that I just read?'

Now my log in problem seems fixed and i found my photos everything seems fine. 

My only comment would be that the old 'latest posts' section was really handy, and this site's equivalent is very hard to use as it displays everything. Every comment, photo album update, new photo etc is shown and while i cannot fault his enthusiasm, Grumpygnome has spammed the whole feed with his various efforts to comment and update his photos. He isnt doing anything wrong, its just the new setup means that his (and the rest of us when we get into it) efforts to update his albums and such totally wipes out the threads as you have to scroll through all the photo updates to find the thing you are looking for. 

Could the filter be set to only display thread updates? i can seem to find a button for it so dont know if it is baked into the backend of the software. 

The list of new posts is just tooooooooooooooooooo big. Every little thing comes up in the list, with every new post in a thread separately. To make this useable the new posts need to be grouped as the most recent post in the thread - as in the old forum and most other forums. I have to scroll through 100 posts on this thread, and everybody sorting out their albums to find the actual model flying content in the build blogs.

I have at least found out that you can make the news all new posts, not just new unread ones. Otherwise 'where did that post go that I just read?'

Could the filter be set to only display thread updates? i can seem to find a button for it so dont know if it is baked into the backend of the software. 

easy one -

go to unread content

from 'content type' choose 'topics'

on the right hand side choose 'condensed'

that then looks a lot like the old list.

Edited by Nigel R
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Peter Christy said:

The new site certainly looks good, but I'm having a few issues with it. The biggest is that I can't scroll through pages of a thread! For example, this thread appears to have five pages at this point in time, but I'm stuck on 5 of 5 and can't access the others. I'm using Firefox and Slackware Linux in case that is relevant.

I guess teething problems are inevitable, so please don't take this as "bashing"! ?

--

Pete

Agree completely Pete with the lack of 'Latest posts' section - I'd recommend that it is reinstated PDQ!

Find that viewing the site on my smartphone is a nightmare, but to be fair, is easier on my laptop. Funny how the old site was easy to use on my phone but 'tis what it is.

16 minutes ago, Dad_flyer said:

Use the 'Condense' tab at the top of the message display then use the 'Unread Content' option in the 'Forum' selection to clear all the clutter. I was using 'Expanded' and 'All Content' at first but it's too much, like being in the middle of a nightclub trying to latch onto a few words your mate is shouting at you to try and get the gist of what he's saying.

• Like 1