Welcome to RCM&E's new forum!

1 minute ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Does everyone see I have updated some images then ? Eek, I was going to update them all....... best stop until we're all a little more familiar.

Maybe we need a 'sticky' thread to just report issues.......

GG

LOLOL Please carry on, its shown us how to filter that sort of stuff so its all good. DA is now flooding the feed with diary updates lol. Its a learning curve, but this platform is so much more tunable than the previous one. Really impressed.

• Like 1

Well done to all the forum team, I know from working in IT how problematic some of these migrations can be, so the fact you've managed to migrate the content at all is fantastic.

I've been around website development for a good number of years - I actually built the site that took the first ever credit card order in this country, back in mid 90s - so I can see you've done sterling work.  Well done.

Now the niggles... 

I find the default text and text colour extremely difficult to read in the computer display - there is simply not enough contrast.  Grey text on white is very difficult for me and probably a lot of others and and typing this I can feel it really straining my eyes.  I can see from the code it's just a variable so should be easy enough to change - preferably if at all possible, to allow us to choose our own accessibility options. It's much better on mobile.

There is generally too much white space.  A lot of web designers make this mistake - it looks light and airy, but it means users of the site end up having to do a LOT more scrolling as there is not much information on the page.  I have a reasonably large screen, but I can only see two posts plus what I'm writing now. 

Keep up the good work.  The font colour is what's really breaking this for me at the moment. 

thanks

Simon Feather

I'm making a new stream for latest posts.

when I bring up the "save as" box, and start typing, the box disappears.

I have to bring up the box again to actually type.

second problem with making a new stream, the new stream instantly forgets my 'condensed/expanded' choice.

A similar thing happens for other dropdown menus, when choosing an item, the menu disappears without registering my choice.

windows 10 / chrome

Edited by Nigel R

I've set up a bookmark to 'All Activity' and set view to condensed mode. Convenient to just pop in and out to see what's happening and to decide whether to chip in or not. Still all rather too big and a bit 'in your face' even on a 15" laptop screen. Agree with Simon Feather, all rather too open and leads to scrolling about too much.

Edited by Cuban8

2 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

I've set up a bookmark to 'All Activity' and set view to condensed mode. Convenient to just pop in and out to see what's happening and to decide whether to chip in or not. Still all rather too big and a bit 'in your face' even on a 15" laptop screen. Agree with Simon Feather, all rather too open and leads to scrolling about too much.

I am using a 13" laptop with Firefox and have set the "Zoom Level" in Firefox to 67% for this site. That reduces the "in your face" tendencies to an acceptable level for me.

Dick

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dickw said:

I am using a 13" laptop with Firefox and have set the "Zoom Level" in Firefox to 67% for this site. That reduces the "in your face" tendencies to an acceptable level for me.

Dick

Hi Dick - unfortunately I can't read the text if I do that (on a biggish screen); the light grey on white does rather make my eyes hurt straining to see it, and reducing the font size by zooming out makes it considerably worse!

Site admins - is there anything we can do about the colour of the text?  I'm really straining to read it.

16 minutes ago, Peter Miller said:

I have to say that I have lost interest completely. I may be old and non internet savvy but I can't find my way round this and I can't be bothered

If anyone has a question about any of my build threads send me a PM. That way I will get an email about it.

If you don't I won't know about it. Your problem

Peter, MattyB posted instructions on how to create a latest posts link:-'https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/47127-quick-guide-creating-an-equivalent-to-the-latest-posts-view-in-the-new-forum/, similar to what we had on the old site. Once created, if you click on My Activity Streams and then 'latest posts' which you create if you follow Matty's instructions, I think you will find the Forum much easier to use, or at least I did.

• Like 1

Managed to log in today with no problem (using chromebook & chrome browser).  Just need to get the "Latest Post" bit sorted and away we go. Thanks for all the hard work that's gone into producing this. It will take some getting used to for old blokes like me but I will persevere.

2 minutes ago, Bill Wood said:

Managed to log in today with no problem (using chromebook & chrome browser).  Just need to get the "Latest Post" bit sorted and away we go. Thanks for all the hard work that's gone into producing this. It will take some getting used to for old blokes like me but I will persevere.

Old bloke here as well Bill, keep plodding on it gets easier.

Well, someone has been working hard! I can now select different pages in a given thread! Well done to the techies! ?

I still think there should be a "latest posts" menu on the FRONT page, though! Not everyone who comes to this site is a member, or even an ingrained modeller! The old website, with its "latest posts" menu, offered casual visitors a flavour of the kind of support they could expect if they joined, and certainly made it easier for regulars to quickly keep track of current discussions! Please re-instate ASAP! Aside from anything else, its good marketing!

Oh, and one minor beef, can we PLEASE make the spellchecker here use BRITISH English, and not the American flavo(u)r!

?

--

Pete

Edited by Peter Christy

2 hours ago, Simon Feather said:

Hi Dick - unfortunately I can't read the text if I do that (on a biggish screen); the light grey on white does rather make my eyes hurt straining to see it, and reducing the font size by zooming out makes it considerably worse!

Site admins - is there anything we can do about the colour of the text?  I'm really straining to read it.

Sorry to hear that Simon, but that was just an example of my attempt to make the appearance to my liking.

I have just checked with a ruler and the font at 67% zooom level on my 13" screen is 1.5mm high, but I still find it readable once I have my reading glasses on. ?

Perhaps playing around with the zoom level and other screen settings like brightness might help pending anything the techies can do.

Dick

"Latest Post" now appears at top and bottom of screen which I can click on. Not sure if I made it myself or it's official.  Clicked on 'My Activity Stream' at top then 'custom activity' set label as "Latest Post" then used the filters to show last 7 days then set to 'condensed' view. Seems to work for me as an interim measure.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

I have to say that I have lost interest completely. I may be old and non internet savvy but I can't find my way round this and I can't be bothered

If anyone has a question about any of my build threads send me a PM. That way I will get an email about it.

If you don't I won't know about it. Your problem

True it will be my problem but also my loss not to have your help. ?

I think that the old way was to use bookmark icon at the bottom. Now we have Follow button at the top to send email notification, give it a try.

After a couple of days of use this is soooooo much better than the clunky old site. I see a lot of complaints about white space, but viewing on an MS Surface I find that gives the forum a lovely airy feel, clean and easy on the eye.

The functionality to display exactly what one wants to see in terms of the content is impressive and just takes a bit of experimentation. Thanks to the excellent work of the mods and a bit of experimentation the rather confusing and overwhelming volume of new stuff being added and organised in real time was tamed. This is a real advance in browsing and it really demonstrates how busy and useful the forum is.

• Like 2