Multiplex Twist

My last lock down build of last year.

Arrived in the box that's used to carry it to the slope/field.

Not flown yet, I have four gliders waiting maiden flights, a MPX Cortina, MPX Akro, PSS F-101 Voodoo and one I can't remember!

Using this thread as a forum test, I can elaborate on the build if needed!

Cheers

Gary

20201111_132316317_iOS.thumb.jpg.c04ca1c4bc7140d1f395408bd3126d16.jpg

20201113_103205284_iOS.thumb.jpg.964d27820b36798ca1c4f728fd7e8022.jpg

20201129_102857324_iOS.thumb.jpg.aa2fdd319cd21d3afaf43d99f123fa86.jpg

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, Biggjeffo said:

Hi Gary, I've just picked one of these models up, already built, but can't find any reference to it online. Do you have any info with regards to cg and control throws etc?

Cheers, Jeff 

Hi all, good job I've got notifications turned on!

It hasn't flown yet, it was one of seven models that I built in the lockdowns, two more also haven't flown, Multiplex Akro and Howard Metcalfe F-15.

My favourite slope is 40 miles away so visits to it are not frequent, the cost of fuel, weather and other factors made this year a lean one for any model flying. I also lost my flat field flying buddy, gave up due to medical problems, I get bored talking to myself!!

Don't think I knew about the Twist until I saw the advert, been collecting MPX gliders for nearly 20 years. The proportions look slightly out to me, the nose looks too short and I seem to remember adding lots of lead in addition to the NiMh battery. I thought I'd blogged the build online somewhere but it looks like I didn''t. I have 50 photos taken during the build that I can post. CG and control throws in images. Cheers.

PS: I think the rudder travel should be left/right not up/down!

1044002009_Screenshot2022-12-05085627.jpg.0cf52efe85f00c99e01a9a680f2e1b8f.jpg

1396620347_Screenshot2022-12-05085227.jpg.90952279b24a2aabc755fc933238d63b.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Gary, much appreciated. I was put on to this thread by Martyn Kinder, who seems to know you...

My model has been built with full span ailerons, no flaps. It's in flyable condition but I am tempted to tidy it up so may introduce flaps. Just wondering what you did with yours? I can't quite tell from the photo.

I think Martyn has just seen my glider threads here, there and everywhere else!!

The 'flaps' function is just the full span ailerons working as flaps through mixes. There is only one servo in each wing (at the root) and I think it would be a struggle to fit another servo in further outboard, the wings are quite thin.

Same with the 'spoilers', that's just the ailerons being raised. My experience of that idea isn't brilliant, it produces the increased sink rate by killing lift (not producing drag) and also gives a nose down pitching moment which increases speed unless an elevator mix is added. In competition glider 'crow braking' (flaps down. ailerons up) the aileron up travel has been steadily reduced to zero with glider development for the same reason. Not much choice with the Twist though, if I was flying it on the slope I would treat it as a glider without any flaps/brakes (Middle Phase/Phase 6 etc) and set the landing pattern up to suit.

I've put my transmitters away for the winter but I probably do have a flap function on a proportional control (for adjustable travel) and switched using flight modes. It's useful to regain height on the slope after a series of aerobatics or switching into 'survival mode' when the lift dies and I need to scrape enough height for a top landing. 

20201127_145731250_iOS.thumb.jpg.81b055f79c150ce7071836e837960dfe.jpg

Edited by Gary Binnie

Far enough and thanks for your reply. Yes, I've tried flaperon and spoileron on one of my old slope models and didn't really find it to be of much use either way. As you say, flaperon is ok for slowing the flight and gaining height but, as a landing aid on some models, a bit pointless.

Thanks again!