Logging on to the new site and forum - important to know

15 minutes ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

I've looked, but there doesn't seem to be an option to stay logged in. Correct me if I'm incorrect.

I have been logged in since the new site became live on Wednesday. I seem to recall a "remember me" or "stay logged in" option at the time, but don't recall exactly since that was 4 days ago. Not had to log in again since then so there must be something.

Dick

Remember Me is part of the browser. In my case Edge.

Go to settings/passwords

I deleted the entries then logged in and the username password box came up with the remember me selection box at the bottom.

Once selected you are automatically logged in every time you visit.  

If you sign out then back in the box also appears.

image.png.abdba5bbb8612dc26dd9682d426d1ec1.png

Hope this helps.

Edited by EarlyBird
More info added

On 16/02/2021 at 12:51, EarlyBird said:

Remember Me is part of the browser. In my case Edge.

Go to settings/passwords

I deleted the entries then logged in and the username password box came up with the remember me selection box at the bottom.

Once selected you are automatically logged in every time you visit.  

If you sign out then back in the box also appears.

image.png.abdba5bbb8612dc26dd9682d426d1ec1.png

Hope this helps.

looks like another bug has been found. You don't get the option to remember when logging in on the home page, but if you log in from a forum page you do. Sorted. Ta.

On Day One of the changeover, I struggled a bit trying to login in using my email and original password, but I finally cracked it by using my login name and a new password and it seems to work every time.

Initially I found the site a bit confusing as some of the links weren't working, but it's all starting to come together for me now.

The area of the original site that I used to visit first were the eight or 10 Latest Posts'. At first I couldn't find that section but now I have it's really excellent and I must say you have improved the facility many times over - thanks!

Well done Guys!!

• Like 2

First off a gripe, I find - even for my old eyes - there is far too much white space on the page, secondly I had no problem signing in to the forum page but cannot sign in OR create a new account on the homepage, it just keeps presenting me with my sign in information but will not accept it, it does the same when I hit the join button, no fresh page requesting more information, maybe I'll wait a month or two, frankly preferred the old format.

Tony..

2 minutes ago, Tony Richardson said:

First off a gripe, I find - even for my old eyes - there is far too much white space on the page, secondly I had no problem signing in to the forum page but cannot sign in OR create a new account on the homepage, it just keeps presenting me with my sign in information but will not accept it, it does the same when I hit the join button, no fresh page requesting more information, maybe I'll wait a month or two, frankly preferred the old format.

Tony..

Have you tried substituting your email address which comes up on the Home Page login with your user name, ie 'Tony Richardson'? It should accept the same password as for your forum login

On 10/02/2021 at 20:41, David Ashby - Moderator said:

It has been a busy day here and, as is often the case, we've discovered something too. 

Essentially if you log on to the forum direct then your old log-in details will be fine. ie. your email and password. 

If you log into the home page first then you'll need your site user name - in my case 'David Ashby - Moderator'. Your email address won't work on the home page. Having logged into the home page you'll then need to log in again separately into the forum using your old forum log-on details. 

A fix is in preparation but, for now, please be aware. 

Hi, 

Has this or will there be a fix? Each time I visit the home page I am not logged in, but if I select the forum tab I am then already logged in. 

Not really a problem just a weird inconsistent quirk that I find a bit confusing.  

Hi Chris. 

What's become apparent (and wasn't at first, even to the admin/mods) was that they're very separate sites in terms of logging on. In theory your forum user name and password should be fine for both but I've had a few emails and messages over the last few days from users who can't log on to the main/content site page but, like you, have no problem with the forum. I don't know why this is but re-setting the main page password fixes it. Can you drop me a message and I'll do that for you.  

• 2 weeks later...

Subscribed a few days before website "upgrade" Everything worked ok until the change, now it doesn't! Can't get into anything, changed password, still nothing. Can't access digital subscription or log on. Only luck that the forum appears to have remained logged in from before. Seriously considering request for refund, after all what am I actually getting for my money?

On 19/02/2021 at 12:38, Chris Bott - Moderator said:

To find your digital copies (assuming you have a subscription):-

This may not be available on the mobile version of the site.

Note: We effectively have two websites. This Forum one and the RCM&E magazine one. Logging in to each site is separate.

1. Go to the magazine site by clicking RCM&E Home  image.png.ae6437711446d1e5b78bdb7cc527fa04.png   (Or right click and choose "open in a new tab" to leave this page open too).
  2. Use the Login box over on that site to log in image.png.5928c77985426fb2c131e0848c925b4d.png (Note: most people are getting in using their forum name rather than their email address, and it is case sensitive).
  3. Now here's the tricky bit. You need to hover over the word Subscribe, you'll then see this dropdown. image.png.acc1507860f799810810d8bfc7ab9ed6.png 
  4. Choose Digital archive to see the magazines.

Excellent Chris.