Logging on to the new site and forum - important to know

After three hours messing around I am still not sure I'm doing this right. Yes I have logged into the forum but when trying to login to the main site and I go to subscriber services it wants me to sign up, I already has a subscriber number and it is in my login details. I am not stupid I did IT support for 15 years but really, this new site to me is untested, and all the problems should have been ironed out at acceptance testing or a big article on the home page on how to rectify these issues, I have changed my password six times today and I am still not sure what my credentials are. Not Good

Edited by Andrew McKelvey 1

Andrew - which password have you changed?  You need to log in to the RCM&E home page, not the forum as magazine subscriptions and the magazine are not directly related to the forum.

However, you do need to use your forum ID (Andrew McKelvey 1) and not your email address which you may use on the forum. If you do a password reset on the RCM&E home page, it will align the log ins though and logging on to the home page should also log in to the forum.

Early Bird Yes when I go to Subscriber Services I do get the screen you showed

Martin Harris I used my forum ID Andrew McKelvey 1 to log into the main website and that has worked, so the daft question is why with two separate systems am I using my id for the forum to log into the main site, not very intuitive...

31 minutes ago, Andrew McKelvey 1 said:

Early Bird Yes when I go to Subscriber Services I do get the screen you showed

Martin Harris I used my forum ID Andrew McKelvey 1 to log into the main website and that has worked, so the daft question is why with two separate systems am I using my id for the forum to log into the main site, not very intuitive...

and you can login?

The main forum screen shows I am logged in as Andrew Mckelvey 1, I didn't log into the forum site specifically so I don't know if my browser logged me in or there is some sort of pass thru authentication. I am using MS Edge on my laptop Last evening when I tried this and then tried posting I got an error telling me my email address is already in use? 

• 2 weeks later...

When we first migrated to the new site I tested out the search facility. Notwithstanding some of the extra search options make it much better than previously there were some major issues. 
Primarily a multi word search in standard search syntax ie “grunau baby” works perfectly on my iMac but but not on my iPad. Put another way the the search on the iMac gives me only grunau baby results while the iPad gives me absolute everything that has baby in it !

I have no idea what PCs or mobiles do with the above search syntax . Not seen anyone else commenting on this feature so I was wondering if it was on the list of bugs to fix or not?

Tim

anyone in mod land know how the new forum is doing in regards, how many are using it?when i go on some threads and click on (some)peoples names/profiles it come up as last time visited "never" i'm wondering if its too much bother for them to use the new format...

ken anderson...ne...1..curious dept.

Ken, if you look at the list of members on line at any time (via "browse") there's always a very healthy number of folk looking in. 

A good number of those are shown as "guests". i.e. they are not logged in. 

It could well be that some or even most of those are previous members just browsing. 

If/when they have something to contribute, I'm sure they will log in. If they're having trouble doing that, they only have to use "contact us" below. 

Is there anyone in particular that you have a concern about?

• Like 1

ok chris thanks,no one person in particular. When some of the threads/post come on that have been running for a while and i look at some of the contributors,i see that they are logged as "never" for the new forum...as you say if they have a comment i'm sure they'll log on and make one.

ken anderson...ne..1..logging on dept.

On 14/03/2021 at 17:57, Tim Ballinger said:

When we first migrated to the new site I tested out the search facility. Notwithstanding some of the extra search options make it much better than previously there were some major issues. 
Primarily a multi word search in standard search syntax ie “grunau baby” works perfectly on my iMac but but not on my iPad. Put another way the the search on the iMac gives me only grunau baby results while the iPad gives me absolute everything that has baby in it !

I have no idea what PCs or mobiles do with the above search syntax . Not seen anyone else commenting on this feature so I was wondering if it was on the list of bugs to fix or not?

Tim

I don't know Tim, that's something I don't think we were aware of so I'll feed it back to the developers and see what they say. 

4 hours ago, David Ashby - Moderator said:

The background analytics are far better, so now we know that 84% of visitors use a tablet device, 3% mobiles, the rest PCs, but other than bits and pieces like that it's too early to say really Ken.   

Only 13% are PC users? Does that "feel" right?

84% use a tablet? Only 3% use a mobile? Same question.

How sure are you that the background analytics are working right? 

Could this explain how people can post when they have never even logged on? 

32 minutes ago, Gary Manuel said:

Only 13% are PC users? Does that "feel" right?

84% use a tablet? Only 3% use a mobile? Same question.

How sure are you that the background analytics are working right? 

Could this explain how people can post when they have never even logged on? 

Interesting!

On my mobile I always use the "desktop" version of the site so it always looks and behaves the same as it does on my PC.

I wonder if that affects the analytics.

Dick

4 minutes ago, Dickw said:

Interesting!

On my mobile I always use the "desktop" version of the site so it always looks and behaves the same as it does on my PC.

I wonder if that affects the analytics.

Dick

You live and learn. I never realised that you could switch to desktop view on mobile phones. Surely that would make analytics see more PCs though! Makes 13% feels worse now.