Quick guide: Creating an equivalent to the "Latest posts" view in the new forum

MattyB

The new forum seems to have converted across well, but I immediately missed the "Latest posts" box that used to appear at the top right of the forum homepage. Luckily it is possible to regenerate a view that is equivalent, and it's a lot more customisable too. There are two ways to create a view that should suffice - the first is to add the "Stream" I have created, and the second is to create your own from scratch (slightly more involved, but it will give you a bit more knowledge to customise the view to your liking):

Option 1 - Reusing a pre-created "Latest posts" Stream

• Click here to view the "Latest posts" stream I have created
  • Add the stream by clicking image.png.0ba0e5f8efb52a5d45f5fdb7a0a4988d.png, the "Add stream"
  • To visit this page from any other in the forum click on image.png.c679f9419ee0de6ba1ccd294f77b9b98.png which sits at the top right and bottom right of every forum page
  • Bookmark the resulting page in your browser so you go straight to it when you want to visit the Modelflying Forum

Option 2 - Creating and customising your own stream

• Go to the Forums homepage, then click on image.png.53ca0f529e134bc9ee7cab50976a5792.png and select "Create New Stream"
  • You'll be presented with a page like this:

image.thumb.png.a2effa06810b571ad93564655ae51fd1.png

• Add a Stream title, then select the options you want - for a view most like the old Latest Posts...:
  1. Show me - Check "Content Items only"
  2. Content types - Check "Topics" only (you may also want to add Blog entries and Status updates too, up to you)
  3. Read status - "Everything"
  4. Ownership - "Everything"
  5. Following - "Everything"
  6. Time period - "Since my last visit" or "Any time"
  7. Default View - "Condensed"
  • Select "Save changes"
  • The page will refresh and you will see your new Stream. Select "Stream options" and if it isn't already the default select "Set as your default stream":

image.png.ce3aea7775d35b720d2bcc5df0ff6d9c.png

• Bookmark the resulting page in your browser so you go straight to it when you want to visit the Modelflying Forum

Important point - If you want to see the same view on different devices you don't need to follow all the steps above on that device as well; just navigate to your newly created stream on and bookmark the page in your browser

Hope that is useful! ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Bob Cotsford said:

Matty, if you want a 'Latest Posts' then you don't want to select Unread as any post you look at disappears from the list.  'All Activity' should be closer if (like me) you find the need to go back to posts you've just added to.

Yeah, probably true that. I can't modify the post above though now, it has timed out for edits.

Edited by MattyB
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Turner 12 said:

ive just found a button to press for default stream (in streams top right), see how it works out, everyone is learning

Could you be a bit more specific Mark?

I've set up a "Latest Posts" stream and saved it as my default, but the only way I can open the stream is through the menu > My Activity Stream / Custom /Latest Posts

32 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Yeah, probably true that. I can't modify the post above though now, it has timed out for edits.

Matty, presumably you mean that the 'Unread Content' comment and link in your first post (pic below) needs to be edited to 'All Activity' as suggested by Bob? If so, confirm and I'll edit it ASAP?

site 5.JPG

6 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Yeah, that should do it! ?

It works a treat Matty. That's how I've got mine set. Unread threads then appear in BOLD, so you can see which of the latest threads you've read and which ones you haven't.

Thanks for the heads up. Just need to find a way of accessing the default "latest threads" without having to go through the menus.

4 minutes ago, Glenn Philbrick said:

Trying to set up latest posts as suggested by Matty B but I do not get the bar with the options on after selecting all activity. Any ideas ?

Thanks  Glenn

This was working but has now stopped working for me too.

Search function has stopped working for me on the mobile version too.

Crash imminent?