Quick guide: Creating an equivalent to the "Latest posts" view in the new forum

MattyB

As I see it the main problem with the Unread Message Stream, as proposed by Matty B, is that it doesn't group messages into like groups, so the same message header is repeated over and over again, whereas on the old system all message in the thread 'Can anyone help me?' were encapsulated under that heading. This allowed quick perusal of new threads and made it easy to see the development of each thread.

I totally agree with a comment I've read somewhere (don't as me to find it again!) that we really don't need notifications every time someone add a photo to their album or replies to somebody else's message.

Also, whilst I understand the need for advertising on the forum, do the adverts (e.g. Ninja 250) have to be so large as to separate the page header from the message bodies such that the two can't be see together?

And there is far too much wasted 'white space' - it's like trying to read a large script book for the visually impaired, fine if that what what you need, but a complete waste of space otherwise.

Whinge over, I'll keep trying to make it work for me but I am somewhat disappointed with the current state of it.

GDB

On 11/02/2021 at 15:20, Caveman said:

As I see it the main problem with the Unread Message Stream, as proposed by Matty B, is that it doesn't group messages into like groups, so the same message header is repeated over and over again, whereas on the old system all message in the thread 'Can anyone help me?' were encapsulated under that heading. This allowed quick perusal of new threads and made it easy to see the development of each thread.

@Caveman, the instructions in post 1 have now been updated to give exactly that and everyone's default in the top RH corner should now read "Latest posts" thanks to a change by @Chris Bott - Moderator. Hopefully that addresses your issue.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

@Caveman, the instructions in post 1 have now been updated to give exactly that and everyone's default in the top RH corner should now read "Latest posts" thanks to a change by @Chris Bott - Moderator. Hopefully that addresses your issue.

Matty / Chris.

Are you saying that the site default Activity Stream (as seen by a newcomer) is now "Latest Posts"?

I can't tell what the default is because I've set mine up as Latest Post anyway.

Ah, I think I've answered my own question. I can see that "Latest Posts" is now top of the DEFAULT Activity Streams.

Nice one fellas. That was the biggest gripe as I saw it.

Edited by Gary Manuel
Answering my own question.