New Issue CAA Operator Number

Capt Kremen

Just found it in my archived mail but I definitely didn't put it there. The number is OP- followered by 7 characters but I seem to remember reading here that it starts GB and has 16 characters? Perhaps I imagined that. Anyway I have a CAA email with that number to show if they try to lock me away!!

David

27 minutes ago, John Timmis said:

Just found my CAA no in the junk mail file. It's been there since 14 Feb.

John

If you login to the BMFA membership 'azolve' membership site and go to your membership details, it lists your Operator ID number and expiry date. Your Registration competency certificate is in there too of course. Yes, I eventually found the CAA email with my new OP ID number in my junk file too, despite receiving other emails from the CAA reminding me to renew, in my normal in-box! Been there since the 13th of Feb. 

Hi Piers

Bit different here. If I go to Azolve, then membership, it tells me my BMFA and CAA registration are up to date, but does not tell me my CAA registration number.

To find that, I have to go to 'My Profile' then I get a series of entries.

Top line says 'CAA Registration' but then gives my BMFA number.

Third line down marked 'member details'. Click on that and then scroll all the way to the bottom, and I eventually find my CAA number.

OK, it is on the site somewhere, but am I the only one who thinks basic information like this should be front and centre, and easily accessible, rather than needing hunting for?

Jeff

Once you log in Jeff you are only two clicks away from your OP ID... Click 'Profile', then 'Member details', I didn't do any scrolling! Perhaps the BMFA could add it to 'Member details' for simplicity but maybe it is not possible due to the way the site is designed? I only mentioned the azolve site to potentially assist others who might spent some time trawling through old emails only to find it in their junk folder (or not).

• 4 weeks later...

A point was raised on one of Peter Miller's threads about the location of the number - his is writ large across the wings of his latest Fournier.  Someone challenged him about its location not being on the "main body" and Peter's assertion that the wings form part of this appear to have merit.

The wording is not "on the fuselage" but simply "on the main body" and "accessible without the use of tools" (or very similar) which many, myself included, have taken to mean the fuselage. Especially in the case of a model where the wings are fixed by screws i.e. tools normally required to dismantle it, I think it's legitimately arguable that the main body would include the wings, opening up, for example, the use of semi-concealed locations such as inside split flaps or under top/scale hinged ailerons on scale models.

Thought about plastering it on the wing of a none scale model myself but it would be just my luck that they would change it again. On scale ones I try to put it on top of the fin if it has a counter balance to hide it or inside a top hinged aileron. My old numbers are from Dymo and they all faded in the sun, but a least I made the effort.

Ever tried to get anything to stick to Oracover or TufKote?

I would not really class a simple screwdriver as being much of a tool; it is not exactly a socket set or a tamper proof Torx is it? Anyway, there would not be very much to disassemble on a crashed model.

22 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

IIRC, the instruction that no tools could be used came shortly after someone who shall remain nameless "helpfully" queried what the CAA considered to be a special tool with them.  I suspect that they specified that NO tools of any sort could be used as a direct result of this.

I think you are absolutely correct and we have that barrack-room lawyer to thank for the fact that we cannot just put the number inside the fuselage so that taking the wing off with a screwdriver, or kitchen knife, or nail file, or ice lolly stick would reveal the number. The notion that it requires a special tool to loosen and remove a couple of wing bolts is a complete nonsense.

2 hours ago, Geoff S said:

Presumably you could put the number inside the fuselage of a model with banded-on wings?  Not that anyone is likely to check!  I recently realised I'd been flying with my old number.  I'll have to print out the lengthy new one.

You certainly can - no special tools required. That's where mine are on models with wing bands.