Hawker Tempest Sarik part kit B. Taylor PLAN

Eric Robson

Thanks for the kind comments, 

I had the maiden flight this morning it was an anti climax, the take off was straight and the tail lifted almost straight off and rolled in a realistic manner till a little up elevator took her off the ground. No dramas it needed 3 notches of up to fly level and 2 notches of left aileron to fly hands off, it holds steady flight on half throttle, after 5 mins. I called a landing and due to the grass needing a trim it nosed over. After 5 mins it had 49% in the battery.

It weighs 8lb ready to fly which is one and a half pound less than the stated weight on the plan having the 5s battery right forward helped a lot.

Danny, the reason the office is empty is the fact that it was marginal on the C of G I did not want any thing added but I will now put a pilot/ seat and armour plate in the office. 

VID-20220130-WA0000[2916]_Moment.jpg

• Like 9

Yes Eric, I have just seen the photo of your first, well now you will get to enjoy the Tempest twice - like Frank Sinatra and New York - or something like that. We used to joke with Brian that he built an empty tank into the rear fuselage of his models and fill it with helium before he flew or the models were weighed.... he is still our demi-god for building numerous WW2 types especially at the weights he could achieve, together with his flying .... I look forward to more photos of your new one in flight in the nice weather mate....  

Edited by maurice northcott
Hopeful correction of bad grammar first time...
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

On Thursday I had a mid air with the Tempest, it took the wing off and the fuselage nose dived from 50ft, the impact pushed the internal structure on one side back 20mm.

It is now ready to fly again just waiting for the wind to drop. The wing apart from a small hole was undamaged and the rest of the airframe from the cowl back  was intact.

There has been a lot said about Brian Taylor models being not much use on club sites, I have had a lot of flights with this model and the fact I was able to repair it quickly after what would have been a bin job with a modern model, I had a similar crash with a VQ  Mustang which went in vertical an it was like matchwood, total bin job.

20220602_165044[261]Tempest crash.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2