Hawker Tempest Sarik part kit B. Taylor PLAN

Eric Robson

I am sure you already know this but you can pull the hinge piano wire and paint the airframe and the control surfaces separately, only refitting when finished. You do have to touch up the area that the piano wire is buried in the wingtip, but that's fairly easy.

Looking really good ? Tell me the weight, details etc of this docu lam, and where we can get some to try?

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny,

I bought a small quantity from Ebay. It usually comes in big reels, but a modeller chap was selling 10m lengths for around a fiver. Perfect for trials. I have 43 micron matte finish film about 350mm wide. If you search laminating film or doculam, you'll find lots of options. Starts from around £16-20 for a reel, depending on width.

I like it; I used it for the first time on my little Cambrian Spitfire. It needs a fair old rub down, but the joins disappear nicely.

Ron is the laminating film font of knowledge; He'll put you right!

Graham

1711585506_spit100221-7.jpg.bb6f12a0c16dba27c23a989ba9b42303.jpg

• Like 1

If there was enough interest I’m quite happy to buy in bulk and then sell off in smaller quantities, I’m guessing that the cost would be about £0.50 / m for 38 micron, ultra Matt, 635mm wide, plus postage. That’s based on the cost of a 75m roll delivered to me (£36).

Just now, Ron Gray said:

If there was enough interest I’m quite happy to buy in bulk and then sell off in smaller quantities, I’m guessing that the cost would be about £0.50 / m for 38 micron, ultra Matt, 635mm wide, plus postage. That’s based on the cost of a 75m roll delivered to me (£36).

That would be great Ron; I'd be up for 20m. That will last me ages and mean I can laminate family members too...

No problem, well there is because The Binding Box are out of stock and I’m waiting to hear when they will have more in. It may mean having to go to a narrower roll, 450mm.

I am also looking elsewhere!

Edited by Ron Gray

On 09/03/2021 at 09:40, Danny Fenton said:

I am sure you already know this but you can pull the hinge piano wire and paint the airframe and the control surfaces separately, only refitting when finished. You do have to touch up the area that the piano wire is buried in the wingtip, but that's fairly easy.

Looking really good ? Tell me the weight, details etc of this docu lam, and where we can get some to try?

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny, I did that with my B.Taylor  Warhawk  and in 15 years never had to remove it till the wings folded. As you see in the out of focus picture the wing tip is very thin so I tried to keep it as strong as possible.

Cheers Eric. 

_20210309_155403[2004].JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Jonathan, I do have an advantage I am retired and live alone as my wife has passed on. And I get more enjoyment building than watching TV I can also mess up the dining room  instead of facing a cold shed in the winter.

I painted the cowl with black etch primer as the register lines were difficult to see on the clear resin moulding. At this point it weighs just on 4lb with the servos and tail feathers, although there is a lot of filling with block balsa or laminated balsa for the wing and tail fillets. The prototype weighed 9 1/2lb with a 61 2 stroke engine and 3/4lb of lead up front. I am aiming for 8lb total. 

DSC_0887[2006].JPG

DSC_0884[2009].JPG

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well I have managed a bit more on the Tempest due to the weather not letting me go flying. After sanding and filling I covered it with brown paper and  gave it a coat of primer. More sanding and primer needed , I also fitted the motor I have gone electric as fitting a four stroke needed a lot of modification. I hope to get it in the air soon and see how it goes and if I am not happy with it I will change to glow power next winter or lockdown which ever comes first.

DSC_0928[2245].JPG

DSC_0927[2246].JPG

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Much later than planned I have the Tempest ready to fly, just the exhausts to make but weather permitting I will maiden it tomorrow. Getting the battery mounted was a problem it goes in through the air intake under the spinner and I hope it stays there as the only way out is forward into the prop. it does have to be pushed up so it will come up against the cowl if it does move, I think a block of foam may help the Velcro strap.

DSC_1125[2914].JPG

• Like 7