Simulator for Mac?

Graham Davies 3

Thanks for the feedback David. The development history and majority of reviews I have seen also rate Aero Fly very highly. I am never keen on buying older versions and the latest RC8 is in my view expensive. I would need to try it first and preferably on my iMac before I splashed the cash. I contacted IKARUS about the possibility of a demo version. They replied that Apple controlled the Mac versions and their refund policy precluded demo versions. Not sure about that but it is what it is. They did imply they had a windows demo but have yet to tell me how to get it. If they do I will try it on my windows laptop. 

Meanwhile some feedback on PICASIM.
I am still finding out how to configure PICASIM to my likes ( eg amount of ground horizon in view ) There are lots of model and scenery adjustments that can be made when you dig into it. The flight dynamics seem pretty realistic to me , it’s only the graphic detail which is to a large extent characterised. Clearly if you want that you have to pay the money.

All that said I have found it useful to practice some slope flying and generally knock the rust off my stick fingers. I have also been trying to hone my knife edge/ 4 point rolls on an a large scale Extra. Very useful to be able to reduce the frame rate for initial practice.

Tim

Aerofly team  at IKARUS came back to me with a link to a demo version for RC7 for windows. 

I was sufficiently impressed to finally buy the iMac version of RC8 from the Apple store. I would have gone for RC7 with the possible intent to upgrade later but there was no cost effective upgrade route so I went for the latest version straight off, mainly because it uses the latest and more efficient graphics engine .

Really pleased with it and it looks brilliant on the iMac. Once you have sorted the auto zoom to your liking I think it is the best I have seen. Don’t think I will ever use the 4D scenes that are available; they seem aimed at the gaming end of the market which is not what I want.

Thats it for me on this topic, thanks to Graham for inducing me to spend more money than I intended!

Tim

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tim Ballinger said:

Thats it for me on this topic, thanks to Graham for inducing me to spend more money than I intended!

Tim

You're welcome Tim! It's a service I offer...

I might investigate, but as long as SWMBO lets me use her laptop, Phoenix will probably get me through to the end of lockdown.

Thanks for your input everyone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tim Ballinger said:

Aerofly team  at IKARUS came back to me with a link to a demo version for RC7 for windows. 

I was sufficiently impressed to finally buy the iMac version of RC8 from the Apple store. I would have gone for RC7 with the possible intent to upgrade later but there was no cost effective upgrade route so I went for the latest version straight off, mainly because it uses the latest and more efficient graphics engine .

Really pleased with it and it looks brilliant on the iMac. Once you have sorted the auto zoom to your liking I think it is the best I have seen. Don’t think I will ever use the 4D scenes that are available; they seem aimed at the gaming end of the market which is not what I want.

Tim

They have 4D on RC7 too, but I've never managed to work out what it does.  I only got as far as using default flying field and the PT-40 as that was most similar to my trainer. It's become quite unplayable since upgrading to Catalina, so I think my late 2013 MBP is going to have to be upgraded when the magsafe makes its welcome return...

David, that’s a shame with the various mountain panoramas slope soaring with the glider fleet is pretty realistic. It runs up at 60 FPS on my 2017 iMac which is running  the latest Big Sur OS. I was pleasantly surprised by that so perhaps the IKARUS claims of a better graphics package are borne out in practice.

Tim