DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

Okay how about a bit of feedback for you scale peeps.

I have a few ideas how I am going to attempt do this, but thought it might be fun to see how you would do it, no right or wrong answer, just a bit of fun.

The DB Auster has no door detail, and cutting actual doors is very difficult with the way the model is built, so just standoff non functioning doors is all that is required.

So here is the patient:

312.thumb.JPG.1fc809e21496a510d100efceeca2c72a.JPG

And here is the full size, have used Andy's fab pics as a reference again, thx Andy.

IMG_4096.thumb.JPG.50537d254fffad64bf2dd41edc790315.JPG

IMG_4097.thumb.JPG.3f0eed300c3954c34c1dc07ebe56b9ad.JPG

Cheers

Danny

Litho or 1/64" ply door outlines? Sliding window should be easy enough to rig up.

I've a soft spot for the Auster, it was the first plane that I flew in at age around 7.  I can't remember whether it was a Skegness or Yarmouth holiday, but I do remember it as being red and silver paintwork.  That short pleasure flight certainly stayed with me?

Edited by Bob Cotsford
  • Like 1

Hi Bob, yep that's what I am thinking, 64th ply frame, covered in Ceconite, I won't reveal yet (might not work) But the full size door is a fabric affair, over an alloy frame. The edges are fabric over alloy sheet. As you say the sliding windows are fairly easy to do, though they probably wont slide.

So the secret to this working or not is the thickness of the ply, plus two layers of Ceconite as it is wrapped around the edge to give a nice finish.

I think it will work just fine. I doped the Ceconite to the ply, making sure no trapped air bubbles, but then used BalsaLoc to seal the folded edges. The combination seems to have worked well. I am now debating the material to affix the doors. Medium CA would work but its very permanent, there again that's what I want I suppose?

313.thumb.JPG.3a043771e337ad81ba1ed306fd022431.JPG

Ply cut and Ceconite doped on, the edges were then trimmed.

315.thumb.JPG.4b92cb807546d78a0a67c7ddde09e885.JPG

Edges sealed with BalsaLoc

314.thumb.JPG.f4752551594894d894fce3a60b3d9efb.JPG

316.thumb.JPG.d266cae6efbd71fdadf71f1417f9c68e.JPG

Now I have proven that it seems to work, I just have to make another for the pilots side.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bob Cotsford said:

Litho or 1/64" ply door outlines? Sliding window should be easy enough to rig up.

I've a soft spot for the Auster, it was the first plane that I flew in at age around 7.  I can't remember whether it was a Skegness or Yarmouth holiday, but I do remember it as being red and silver paintwork.  That short pleasure flight certainly stayed with me?

Was that the pleasure flight to Scroby sands to see the seals? If so, it was from Yarmouth. I took the same flight, but my memory recalls a Cessna. I could be wrong though. Still a great memory though!

• Like 1

I don't remember any seals Graham, to tell the truth I don't remember much but the thrill of leaving the ground in this rather loud and rattly magic carpet.  The outline of the Auster was burned in and replicated with an Airfix kit when I got home.  I seem to remember it being the holiday when I got a birthday present of a Cox Mustang c/l model so it was probably Skegness.  Very brittle plastic that was hard to repair those Cox models!

• Like 2

Other door went well. I learned that thin CA is not the glue for Ceconite to Ceconite, however medium worked very well. I find the same with lite ply (which I don't like to use) medium works well thin just seems to wick away too much.

Anyway the doors are both on and had two coats of 50/50 dope.

317.thumb.JPG.baf84b7ac37772bda7158f0c666ef7ef.JPG

We will have to see how they look with some paint, but for now its time for the tail-plane and elevators to be fitted.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

well I am having great fun trying to print a pilot to the right scale. a 1/5th is massive, though checking the 3 views the DB model is roughly 1/5 (1/4.9)

I think perhaps the scaling numbers included with the 3d print file may be off.

DD did you use a pilot in your model, and if so what scale?

Cheers

Danny

2 hours ago, Danny Fenton said:

...DD did you use a pilot in your model, and if so what scale?

Cheers

Danny

A fellow expatriate made up a pilot for me to the dimensions I sent him. When it arrived it was too big so I had to amputate his legs below the knee. I regret that I have not done anything with the Auster because I am busy getting models ready for Cocklebarrow and La Coupe Des Barons. I don't know what the other DD did for his pilot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Davis said:

A fellow expatriate made up a pilot for me to the dimensions I sent him. When it arrived it was too big so I had to amputate his legs below the knee. I regret that I have not done anything with the Auster because I am busy getting models ready for Cocklebarrow and La Coupe Des Barons. I don't know what the other DD did for his pilot.

I did not have a pilot I just made two seats and instruments, sorry.

D.D.

1 minute ago, Colin Leighfield said:

I found the AOP6 roomy and comfortable with two up front, no way was it cramped as it is with that pilot. It can't be right. 

Thanks Colin, that's the sort of info I need. Unfortunately the STL file gives multipliers for the scale you need. This should be 1/5th But it clearly is too big.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

It struck me that if the pilot was scaled correctly, then the fuselage was incorrectly scaled and too narrow! Therefore I'm relieved at the conclusion that the pilot is at fault, it certainly looks too big to my eye. Flying the Auster felt to me like being in a comfortable armchair, smooth and steady. Elbow room certainly wasn't an issue. 

• Like 1