DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

Danny,

Keep in mind that the solder will follow the heat - as you warm the area play the heat towards the stub to try and make a stub reach temperature before the header. Things are working in your favour as the stubs have a lower mass than the header, so will heat up sooner, however if you work the heat to ensure that happens, you'll find that when the melting point is reached the solder will run into the joint rather than down the side of the header.

Judging how hot things are getting is a bit of a black art but have a go on your test piece. Keep saying to yourself, the solder will follow the heat!        

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally found some time to have a play.

I have silver soldered horns to piano wire for elevator joiners, but that is about my limit, this joining pipework is new to me.

So I cleaned up the metal and assembled the parts. A good friction fit meant it wasn't going to move if I had to add solder rod.

First the flux was mixed with water and the area of the joint coated.

Then I added a ring of solder as suggested. Heating the two pipes, further away from the joint first worked well and as it came up to temperature gradually worked towards the joint.

Once the solder melted it pooled and a little more heat had it running, as John suggested, after the flame. I had to add a little more of the solder as it pooled away from the two ends, but it all ran together nicely once heated.

407.thumb.jpg.b7930df2fad753bc200e8baa2ee16f33.jpg

408.thumb.jpg.5f5e7d1f1ef98933c47a44a9ca697da6.jpg

409.thumb.jpg.d3b4349834f0d7d69ab8985ea2edfe29.jpg

And after a little tidy up, looked great, blocking the two end tubes and blowing in the middle proved it was indeed sealed as well as it looked.

I have made a short video using the new GoPro, needless to say I wont be using that again lol

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

apart from one tube that didn't take and I had to redo, the exhausts went well.

Need to attach the feed and blank the ends. I think a pressure nipple might also be required.

410.thumb.jpg.b792fd8b9770de6e1e682a1f1fd382d0.jpg

411.thumb.jpg.1910f81065ca736ec6f0fe9bb12b39b3.jpg

A bit of a clean up and you can see the joint is good, with a nice radius.

Need to do the feed pipe next.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 4

Tried to attach the side feed and the flexi Reeves pipe. The side pipe went fine, however the Reeves flexi would not stick.

415.thumb.jpg.bb5246b55c9fa723b5055258879c65d0.jpg

413.thumb.jpg.6f9a8dec1f0b347b69d207112ed6377a.jpg

A crack appeared on one exhaust, I guess with all the heat, so had to do a quick repair.

414.thumb.jpg.282602ece6b50ae129bdcaffc2b8ab6c.jpg

I think I can probably slit the flexi and use a small jubilee to hold it, as I was going to do with the other end to the engine manifold.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alan p said:

Reeves flexi pipe is probably stainless so will not braze/silver solder.

I am a realtive newcomer to brazing but have no problem with brazing stainless steel for exhausts. You need to make sure that everything is very clean to start with and that you use plenty of good high temperature flux and a high silver content (55%) brazing rod. I get everything from : https://www.cupalloys.co.uk/

Simon

Hi John, yes possibly, but what?

Anyway I have made some progress, not on my exhaust but on a test piece. Unfortunately it is eating my silver solder rod, and you dont get much With the Reeves kit!

But I have proven the rod will silver solder stainless steel.

416.thumb.jpg.5b9fbfc7db2a9bcae7b719454ac5166e.jpg

You cannot really clean the inside, so all you can do is cut the flexi in such a way that you leave a flat outer edge. Clean this and then form a bead on the outside onto the brass tube.

If anybody has a source of cheap silver solder rods let me know?

Cheers

Danny

So with the positives from the test piece I decide to go for it!

I really didn't want to wreck the work so far, but the best solution was for the flexi to be attached to the body of the exhaust.

418.thumb.jpg.49ba6f354c902fa8035b1ece1ba0bf2c.jpg

417.thumb.jpg.fa022aeac3e6ed4122fc3d4e44b30ad7.jpg

I could do with advice on how to mount the exhaust, I was thinking of silver soldering a strap between 3 and 4 and strapping to the firewall/tank box. Another strap around the flexi perhaps?

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

That looks great Danny, well done!

As far as mounting goes, a strap or bracket near the back as you suggest but perhaps also another, longer, one closer to the front and fixed to the engine mount side support, as otherwise there would be quite a long bit that is unsupported.

Brian.

• Like 1