DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

Very interesting video Danny.

It was notable that on your first attempt to solder the inlet pipe and flexi the solder flowed on the brass but not on the stainless steel, but the second (successful) attempt it appeared to flow on the stainless piece first. I guess it's all down to getting the right amount of heat into both at the same time, and with them being different materials that might have made it more difficult. Your cleaning up of the front edge of the flexi seems to have done the trick though.

It was also interesting that the stainless appeared to reach red heat very easily, or was that just an effect caused by the camera?

Brian.

Hi Brian, thanks for the feedback, I find videos like that interesting, but not to everyone's taste.

I think the torch is very hot, I was able to blow a hole in the K&S brass at one point, so with the Stainless being very thin it got very hot very quickly. 

The early attempt didn't have the flat exposed edge, and I think that was key.

Cheers

Danny

38 minutes ago, alan p said:

Danny according to google there is a need to wire brush the stainless to remove any oxides prior to brazing.

when soldering alum instructions similar to use ,stainless wire brush and remove oxides prior to soldering

Thanks Alan, but I went further and filed the top surface. Perhaps abrading the inside of the flexi is what you mean? Anyway achieved my goal for now.

Cheers

Danny

still waiting for brass stock to finish the exhausts, but they are near enough to move on.

I have been experimenting with the cockpit interior, on the full size the panels are made of something akin to hardboard, and then they are covered, and wrapped over any exposed framework, with vinyl.

I am simulating this with a combination of 1.5mm Vector board with 0.25mm vector board simulating the vinyl.

Not much to see yet, I have only done the two rear sides, but I think I am happy the process works. And will continue. For a flying only model this is way too much detail, but I enjoy it so there.

431.thumb.jpg.3311bd254afb3efbf925d9caeb86f1fa.jpg

The floor is 2mm depron, re-enforced with soft 6mm square rails.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

Hi Danny, apologies for going off current topic - I am some way behind you. I have a question concerning the flaps which you have made and that I am now trying to recreate.

I have made a template to match the airleron riblets (part number 208) for the flaps but am unable to determine from your pics how they do not bind with the webbing (part number 228) unless severely notched, which would weaken the trailing edge?

Can you advise - thanks Richard

Hi Richard, yes you do have to be quite cunning with getting the clearance, and the diagonals have to be carefully positioned.

The flap and the trailing edge are quite thin in section so rigidity could be an issue. The diagonal bracing, though not scale worked well.

109.thumb.JPG.701e7805991917537a51b8be123501b4.JPG

The ribs are thinned down quite a bit as is that false spar you mention. If I understand you correctly?

Cheers

Danny

So now that all the excitement off the exhaust is done. I have moved back into the cockpit. I have done all the panelling that covers the interior of the cockpit. This is not scale so I have used a bit of poetic licence. The interior will replicate the bright red vinyl from the full size. Still searching for a subject, though may end up using an imaginary, but plausible scheme.

Worked on the front seats today, just shaped blue foam.

459.thumb.jpg.6d5992253ad7a643da5a5d0800cac622.jpg

460.thumb.jpg.f4de2713b7982934251b145344724b50.jpg

Steely eyed amongst you will see I have removed 75 percent of the bulkheads in the cockpit, but unfortunately the one behind the front seats is carrying structural loads so cannot go. It was only ever a flying only model to play with a four stroke glow after all.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Danny Fenton said:

So now that all the excitement off the exhaust is done. I have moved back into the cockpit. I have done all the panelling that covers the interior of the cockpit. This is not scale so I have used a bit of poetic licence. The interior will replicate the bright red vinyl from the full size. Still searching for a subject, though may end up using an imaginary, but plausible scheme.

Worked on the front seats today, just shaped blue foam.

459.thumb.jpg.6d5992253ad7a643da5a5d0800cac622.jpg

460.thumb.jpg.f4de2713b7982934251b145344724b50.jpg

Steely eyed amongst you will see I have removed 75 percent of the bulkheads in the cockpit, but unfortunately the one behind the front seats is carrying structural loads so cannot go. It was only ever a flying only model to play with a four stroke glow after all.

Cheers

Danny

Danny, where did you souce your pilot from. Bas

Hi Basil, the pilot figure was pointed out to me by a forumite in this thread, back a few pages. He is from Max Grueter and is available as an STL file for €35 you then have to get it printed. Andy Meade has set up a small business printing them at the scale you require.

The head is resin printed by a friend, another friend printed the body using normal 3d printing.

Okay did a bit more on the cockpit, concentrating on the rear seat today. I have made a video of the process if anybody is interested?

462.thumb.jpg.97282703707a97992b7bed7277fe0a43.jpg

Cheers

Danny

• Like 2

Thanks Eric, I still have a bit left but I sure people would be interested in a suitable substitute to Sheffield Insulations blue foam?

I had a play with the back of a front seat, but unlike the back seat which has lumps and ripples standing proud, the front seat had ridges and ripples going inwards, much harder to replicate, still better than smooth surfaces. Hopefully I can make a little more convincing with the airbrush.

465.thumb.jpg.3a8559d80924aed55a8d8144462ea6bc.jpg

Video on how the back seat was done.

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 3