DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

31 minutes ago, McG 6969 said:

Hi Danny,

... regarding the seats' beading, even if it feels like "a simple way' to you, could you please help the mere mortals with a few bits of explanation? ...

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for asking, easier if I show you. It involves crochet thread and a contact adhesive, in this case UHU-Por

Seat beading

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

And on to the litho plate sheathing around the nose, really enjoying the progress lately.

I have used double sided carpet tape for the first time, and its working really well. Would have no doubts electric, but with this oily thing up front who knows if it will still be on the model when it lands ?

536.thumb.jpg.89f2f9b95cda450480fba082c8a6bd16.jpg

Riveted with a rounded piece of piano wire from the inside, then a length of brass tube from the outside.

NOTE the rivets are at every intersection, then spaced out to fill the gaps. This is where your rows of sticky rivets will always look wrong to me. But that's just my opinion

Cheers

Danny

• Like 3

A little bit done on the interior, I hate brush painting, two coats and it still look like it needs another.....

The reds look different, but that's the camera, in reality they look the same.

562.thumb.jpg.4e90c5d88980d46b4c08ee0369d7f401.jpg

563.thumb.jpg.49f3f969ac13d005176fe17bf8cbf25e.jpg

Ah well.

I have to try and smooth out the ridges from a 3d printed pilot figure, anybody have any words of wisdom??

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Danny Fenton said:

A little bit done on the interior, I hate brush painting, two coats and it still look like it needs another.....

The reds look different, but that's the camera, in reality they look the same.

562.thumb.jpg.4e90c5d88980d46b4c08ee0369d7f401.jpg

563.thumb.jpg.49f3f969ac13d005176fe17bf8cbf25e.jpg

Ah well.

I have to try and smooth out the ridges from a 3d printed pilot figure, anybody have any words of wisdom??

Cheers

Danny

Smoothing depends on the plastic used.

A good place to start. Smoothing

And another. Smoothing

Some involve nasty chemicals and others just need some elbow grease and time.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I agree with you regarding the forum, I thought there would be more builds with the winter period. What has happened to the Fury builders ? some first class builds on there but not many completed, or have they been finished and not put on to the forum?

If our club is any thing to go by there is only 3 or 4 builders the rest fly ARTF.

There is a lot of banter at the flying strip but I think people are wary of putting any thing down now due to PC and offending someone.

You are doing your usual great job on the Auster.

Cheers Eric.  

5 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Been a strange couple of years gents, also been plenty builds during it from my viewpoint, bit of a lull just now though I agree.

I am trying to add to the builds and banter but as I am not very good at either I do wonder. When I first came on here, a couple of years ago, it was the mass builds that were the attraction, loads of builds and loads of banter. Is it a coincidence that we have not had one for the last two years?

Danny, what thickness of plastic are you using for the screen? I bought some 0.5mm sheet from RC world, the stuff was excellent but very fussy about what heat it would mould to.

Gentle heat , it showed no sign of going soft to produce a compound curve. The next second it wanted to crumple up. So take care!

Edited by cymaz

7 hours ago, Danny Fenton said:

This forum used to be so full of banter and people, its a shame.

I used to post a lot more than I currently do but put that down to having lost my enthusiasm for building for the last 3 months or so. No reason why but I’ve got a couple of builds just sitting there waiting to be finished and lots more planned but need to jump start the old mo-jo. Enthusiasm for flying hasn’t waned and go out whenever I can and have re-booted my interest in flight controllers, automated flight and fpv.

But also, as has been said above, there is a tendency for people to take things too personally so banter has been reined back in.

I do always look at all recent posts on the forum, despite no comments, so keep it coming Danny.

PS, ridges on 3D prints - I use wet n dry (wet) and, if necessary, lightweight filler. But printing in a high resolution does also help.

I've always been a reader (lurker?) more than a poster - but make use of the 'like' button!  I will never put as much into my planes as some others do, but do like to read about others efforts, and the creativity.  So, keep it coming ?

It's certainly true that there seem to now be more people who are less tolerant of other views and opinions. And manners have taken a nose dive....

Thanks for the feedback guys, and I appreciate there is nothing to say a lot of the times, but it is very difficult to garner the enthusiasm to make these posts if you get no feedback. Its like presenting on a Zoom call with everybody muted, its quite soul destroying. I had hoped the like button would help, but people don't use it. (Apart from you John S, thx)

I am using the .5mm Vivak Plastic supplied in the kit and it is good quality, just cut to completely the wrong shape, I am not sure why it is shaped at all as it needs cutting to size. They may as well have just supplied raw uncut sheet stock. And trying to create such an awkward shape is not easy. When I drew up my Cub for indoor that area of the windscreen was a challenge, and beyond many newcomers to the hobby.

The windscreen section, as supplied is around 25mm too wide, and needs completely re-cutting, it will go around the leading edge etc, its not a problem with the material, or the leading edge, just the shape.

Another issue is that there is insufficient flange inside to attach the other windows too, not just the windscreen but also the side screens, so I am going to have to get creative.

The instructions suggest you could attach the windows on the outside, but that would look pretty awful, so that is not an option.

I had hoped that previous builders of this model were about, I was mainly thinking of Dwayne Dibley or David Davies, but I guess not. Do all Auster builders name start with a "D"

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1