DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

I have had a hankering for one of these for many years, as one of my first flights was in an Auster, a friend of the family also had one, and my Dad learned to fly in one.

Luckily one appeared on the BMFA for sale site, and I snapped it up.

I also felt that I might use this model as a way to test some new stuff for the column, so hopefully it will let me try Ceconite as a covering, some vector board to simulate the interior leather, and probably the most taxing to try and see if I can make an IC engine work reliably.

I had really wanted a Laser 80 but as the factory isn't selling any, and that's the third time I have attempted to buy a Laser, I snapped the hand of a fellow forumite and bought a brand new un-run Saito 82b.

So I will no doubt be asking lots of you fossil fuel guys loads of questions along the way.

I wont go mad with the detailing, but you know me I always say that!

001.jpg

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

013.JPG

• Like 1

Managed a little more this evening, I must confess this is not really very satisfying. The fit of the parts is quite a bit off. I pride myself on good tight fitting joints and I cannot do a lot with these apart from re-cutting bits. So all I am doing is a jigsaw at the moment.

018.thumb.JPG.8d09935831ad7f059a10297a73c7b425.JPG

As you can see the parts are all nicely cut and everything is labelled very clearly, 400 series for the tail-plane and elevator, 300 for the rudder and fin.

019.thumb.JPG.7ca1c4d56d90a4f900cdc0b08d518181.JPG

The joint at the centre of this picture was so bad I had to add packing to allow it to stand a chance of survival.

020.thumb.JPG.c984da0720acdc0501c6c7b235d0c6da.JPG

But that's the fin and rudder complete.

I am not happy with the way that the fairing is between the fin and fus, the tail plane will get in the way of covering. The full size fus is covered AND then the tail plane fitted so a slight deviation will occur here and the tail plane split in two halves with carbon rod joiners. The tail plane will be fitted AFTER the fus is covered.

Anyway that's it for now, wings or fus next?

BTW the wings will have modified ailerons, I cannot be doing with centre hinged ailerons when they should be bottom hinged Friese type.

1198958220_AusterStructure13.thumb.jpeg.c00bddd85d0f4587c577565862dd81e6.jpeg

I am also adding flaps. Both should be fairly straightforward (famous last words)

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dwain Dibley. said:

I can't remember my kit having such bad joints Danny, I'm sure a man of your calibre will overcome. Interested in your adaptations to the airframe.

D.D.

Probably me just being super critical, the last build I traced all my own parts and had them laser cut, they were for the most part spot on. I am just very critical, so don't mind me ?

Pinned the wing to the board, I think I can see how to alter the ribs to accommodate the flaps.

Should be fun, got you reaching for the wood yet DD ?

Cheers

Danny

Little more done during lunch.

DD Not sure if you can remember the root rib dihedral jig, I am pretty sure This is being used correctly can you confirm?

022.thumb.JPG.e03deed9f55a188a670d36fe3d28e219.JPG

The wing is a straightforward build, though unorthodox, cannot recall the last time I had a solid spar like this. The infill on each bay between the upper and lower rear spars are unusual too.

024.thumb.JPG.8d9f77da2cb6c97a99400cda7188814a.JPG

Engineers squares used to make sure everything is upright

026.thumb.JPG.b47954490c6dd29c5678bc0179d921cb.JPG

No glue yet, just want to make sure everything aligns, the fit is much better on these parts.

023.thumb.JPG.35228e50f719333a3e05fb2150de5416.JPG

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton

31 minutes ago, David Davis said:

I was given one years ago. I only need to make the wingstruts and the fin steadies, fit the windscreen and do a few more little jobs like that and it'll be airworthy. I'm not sure whether to fit a Laser 70 or a Laser 80.  

Very Nice, you should finish it you are nearly at the interesting bit "detailing" ?

Cracked on with the wing, this is very heavy. I guess I am used to Dennis Bryant and Brian Taylor where everything is light. I must stop moaning I am bashing balsa and its not impacting my balsa stash, all the wood, in fact everything is in the kit.

So far nothing has been missing (hope I haven't spoken too soon!).

028.thumb.JPG.8bc119ca6c0e739885481201cf89f0ed.JPG

Here are those funky infills John, fiddly but I like fiddly, and I got to cut to size, so a lot more satisfying.

029.thumb.JPG.dd27f4834b7a2436d7bb2d64c03ada0b.JPG

The wingtip is the most complex thing ever! I am not entirely sure I have it right, but the individual blocks are quite large and adding loads of weight at the tips sigh (moaning again, sorry)

027.thumb.JPG.f831b48be8cabd0859559763399592e7.JPG

Added the LE and TE sheeting, not sure How I am going to do the flaps, the wing is quite thin at the trailing edge. We will see, I might have to abandon that plan.

Ailerons next.....

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton

45 minutes ago, Danny Fenton said:

Ah the quote didn't seem to work but yes Danny I will finish it. If I make a good job of the windscreen I'll finish it as per the Australian registered aircraft with the blue and red stripes down the side. If I make a horlicks of it I'll fit a flat windscreen and model it on the other one!

Auster 4.jpg

Auster 2.jpg

Edited by David Davis
Quote did not seem to work.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dwain Dibley. said:

Hi Danny, I seem to remember making my own root rib angle pieces, and used them on the outside of the root rib too. Maybe Richard has changed this.

Looking good so far anyway, a lot of that wing tip gets shaved off if I remember correctly LOL.

D.D.

Hi D i hope so, theres a couple of wind turbines missing their core!

• Haha 1

Thanks for posting that pic DD it shows two things, my aileron tips are wrong, should have sanded after the capping is added, no worries easy enough to sort.

and secondly you have left off the infill cover just behind the tip block 220a, mine has the grain running in the wrong direction, so will need to cut another, (or leave it off).

I have added some additional balsa to the ailerons (labelled A and B) to give me some balsa to sand into when I round the front of the ailerons.

993719808_030a.thumb.jpg.3bde55b761758050a19a5a374a6905a3.jpg

031.thumb.JPG.496f28840e80b31f37cccb91c68e7468.JPG

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 1

Those of you that have built this, what is the score with the blocks "206" (Jury strut split pin blocks) the forward one passes through the main spar! Not sure I want to notch it!!

Also can you recall if the block sits flush with the fabric covering, or recessed below the cap strips. This is my probable route with the head of the split pin sitting proud of the block and covering

540756493_034a.thumb.jpg.b6afa98dfb96fd263b4de9c199e84206.jpg

Instructions are a poor substitute for good plans in my opinion!

8 hours ago, Danny Fenton said:

Those of you that have built this, what is the score with the blocks "206" (Jury strut split pin blocks) the forward one passes through the main spar! Not sure I want to notch it!!

Also can you recall if the block sits flush with the fabric covering, or recessed below the cap strips. This is my probable route with the head of the split pin sitting proud of the block and covering

540756493_034a.thumb.jpg.b6afa98dfb96fd263b4de9c199e84206.jpg

Instructions are a poor substitute for good plans in my opinion!

I added a skin of balsa to the block to take the covering, I cant remember if I had to notch the spar, I would have thought not.

D.D.