Charging LiPos. A Lesson Learned The Hard Way And How The Big Guff Met Its End.

David Davis

OH WHAT A BLOW, THE BIG GUFF FLEW SO NICELY.

I SEE THE WEATHER AT B2M IS WARMING UP THIS WEEK, HOPEFULLY SOME NICE FLYING WEATHER FOR YOUR OTHER MODELS.

ARE YOU STILL IN FRANCE INVOLANTARILY OR IS THE HOUSE KEEPING YOU BUSY, HOPE WE CAN CATCH UP IN THE SUMMER. I AM PRESENTLY ASSEMBLING A 100 INCH asw28 WITH A FEW ADDITIONS AND MY VIRST VARIOMETER, EVEN THOUGH I THOUGHT THE GUY WITH ONE AT THE CLUB WAS SOMEHOW CHEATING AND DIMINISHING THE SKILL OF CATCHING A THERMAL, WELL I DECIDED TO ENTER THE 21 ST CENTURY !!

DAVID WEEKS

22 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Thanks Frank and Alan, will read the internet one this evening, this phone will not open pdf files, don't know why. 

The lads phone does read pdf files. Me Saving hard for a pc or laptop, then landline etc..

That is very strange, I can't remember seeing a phone for years that couldn't open PDFs. No matter; just go to the relevent app store for your phone and download a free PDF reader, there are lots there including most peoples choice, Adobe Acrobat:

Once you have that installed the Lipo guide from the BMFA should open straight up...

Edited by MattyB

On 16/02/2021 at 07:32, David Davis said:
...I know I'm bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted but I have found a source of ammunition boxes and fire-proof/ fire resistant charging bags which I will order directly. George Stringwell has advised me to store LiPos which are not going to be used immediately at "storage charge" levels in a steel box and to charge LiPos outside whenever the weather is suitable. My charger, a Hobby King X120, has a storage charge facility.

I am left with with the problem of where to store the ammunition box.

My workshop has a concrete floor but there are model aeroplanes and stocks of balsa wood which would go up nicely in the event of a fire as I know from experience.

The underground garage is a possibility but there are piles of firewood stored there and a 1974 Rover.

The wine cellar doubles as a paint store and is where I chop my firewood.

I have a second garage detached from the house made from concrete with an asbestos roof but that contains about ten gallons, (50 litres) of glow fuel!

If you store lipos at storage charge levels the chance of spontaneous combustion is nearly zero - the only way that can occur is a direct short caused by internal dendrite growth, but that only really occurs at a rate that would be worrying if stored above 4V/cell. As such I would say any of those locations are suitable providing you follow some common sense guidance:

• Keep in an electrically insulated metal container (ammo box or similar). I don't use lipo sacks for storage at home, they just don't have the ability to supresss a fire for long enough.
  • Don't put all your lipos in one box, split them into a few containers and separate them within the area you will store them.
  • Always store between 3.7-3.8V/cell (some will argue that in their optinon this does not increase the cycle life of the battery, but what isn't debatable is that it makes them safer in storage - there is far less energy stored if something does go wrong, and dendrite growth will be massively slower reducing the chances of a short).
  • Like 1

large.812359.jpg.3aa876fb7efb690ff94e63dc3988ebf2.jpg

large.812357.jpg.f92c647f0472356555d9c9faba783e57.jpg

It’s not just batteries in storage that you need to be careful of. A friend used a lipo in a petrol powered model with a posh receiver that had voltage regulation and an inbuilt switch that allegedly allowed the battery to remain connected with an insignificant drain. 
He was in his workshop and wondered why his leg was getting warm - looked behind him and the model was on fire...

• Sad 1

One thing that initially put me off fitting a smoke detector was "false alarms" due to dust / occasional smoke(!) whilst I'm working. Having looked into it, the worst culprits would be the ionisation ones. The one I've ordered uses optical smoke detection plus heat detection. Each of the 4 available modes can be programmed so that I can hopefully find a setting that works well for me. Being fitted to the alarm system, I also have the option of disabling it if I know that I am going to be making smoke.

https://www.fireangel.co.uk/the-different-types-of-fire-alarms-and-where-to-install-them/

Sorry for your loss David.

As Matty points out, providing stored at a correct balanced 'storage' charge state, in a suitable insulated container, little chance of combustion.

Think about all our model shops and all their stock including dozens of LiPo just hanging on display in their packets on the wall in many (most?) instances.

Their insurers wouldn't cover them if there was a high probability they'd go off while just sat there.

How many model shop fires due to LiPo have there been, not counting any mis-managed charging or discharging instances?

A terrible loss David, and a real wake up call. 

If it was me I'd give serious thought to buying another charger.  All those that I've used have a time cutout, if the pack isn't fully charged after the maximum time set the charger switches off.  Essentially it's telling you that something is wrong and needs attention.  If yours chuntered away trying to balance a pack for several hours I'd have second thoughts about using it again.

The models can be rebuilt, the main thing is you are still in one piece and have a roof over your head?

As  MattyB says dendrite growth seems to be the problem, and as Capt Kremen says we don’t hear of problems with stock in a model shop. The thing is we are talking about used batteries and these are subject to chemical /mechanical change when being charged and discharged, in fact airlines have been forced to ground aircraft for this very reason.

So I think the lesson to be learned is to be aware of the all the heightened risks when charging and store safely as is practicable.

I personally have a four bay charging station with a modern balance 4way charger and  each bay equipped with lipo sacks and chepo “ebay special”  temperature sensor/ alarm that  can cut off the power above a certain temperature I have mine set to 35c if a battery just gets mildly warm the station shuts down, but I still don’t leave it unattended  for any length of time.

Installing a different type of fire alarm gona give that a try, this forum is always full of good simple ideas.

I shall simply charge LiPos outside as the first step for the time being. I don't think that any of the cells on the rest of my batteries are as divergent as the one which exploded on Sunday.

I have been persuaded by multiple sources to build another Big Guff fuselage and tail! It was not a priority but now it is. I'll start a build blog when I get the time.

I'm not sure whether to keep the door or not. It's not essential, Charlie Chomos's Big Guff does not have one and his is one of the smartest Big Guff's I've ever seen. What do you think?

Guy Auvieux from the club has volunteered to build the tail surfaces. The Nieuport and Fokker DVII are examples of his work.

Maiden Flight 3.jpg

Maiden Flight 2.jpg

Charlie Chomos Big Guff 2.jpg

Exhibition 2020 (8).JPG

Guy's Nieuport.jpg

Exhibition 2020 (9).JPG