old forum site

ken anderson.

I have been trying to remember the old site and after a lot of thinking I can only come up with three items. Must be an age thing?

On the right were two links Latest Posts and More Posts. I remember them because I used them all the time.

The third was when I logged in a menu was populated on the top bar.

Beyond that I do not have a clue. ?

No need to struggle to remember the old site in all it's glory. Here it is from December, courtesy of the Wayback Machine.

There's the signature content squeezed into a narrow strip over towards the left hand side of the page . However you're not really getting the full benefit of the wide white borders on both sides of the page, since the saved image doesn't fill the screen, but if you visit the Wayback Machine you will see that they are there.

There's the boxes showing the most recent posts over to the right hand side and the adverts - which is the cause of the content being squeezed into a narrow strip and you'll also see that even leaving the banner off the top, by scrolling down -only a fraction of the large number of individual folders is able to be shown.

That's the static image -without getting into the intricacies of actually posting.

Want to put a You Tube video in a post -it's easy, just go to the video, open up the ember video text box and manually edit the width parameter to 450 and then copy and paste the link= simple!

Want to put a link to another site -that's easy too -merely select the Link button -which opens the link entry box and you can then cut and paste the URL into the box - don't forget to select the text that you want to display though, or you will have the highly informative text string "Link" displayed.

Want to put a picture in? That's easy too, merely upload the picture to your personal album and then you'll be able to go back and use the insert image from album button. You have already created an album, haven't you?

Thankfully all that is now history and in a few months time it will all be forgotten. 

?

rcmewaybackdec2020.thumb.JPG.5c17f48ff955c0a62f45c08075150ad9.JPG

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

No need to struggle to remember the old site in all it's glory. Here it is from December, courtesy of the Wayback Machine.

There's the signature content squeezed into a narrow strip over towards the left hand side of the page . However you're not really getting the full benefit of the wide white borders on both sides of the page, since the saved image doesn't fill the screen, but if you visit the Wayback Machine you will see that they are there.

There's the boxes showing the most recent posts over to the right hand side and the adverts - which is the cause of the content being squeezed into a narrow strip and you'll also see that even leaving the banner off the top, by scrolling down -only a fraction of the large number of individual folders is able to be shown.

That's the static image -without getting into the intricacies of actually posting.

Want to put a You Tube video in a post -it's easy, just go to the video, open up the ember video text box and manually edit the width parameter to 450 and then copy and paste the link= simple!

Want to put a link to another site -that's easy too -merely select the Link button -which opens the link entry box and you can then cut and paste the URL into the box - don't forget to select the text that you want to display though, or you will have the highly informative text string "Link" displayed.

Want to put a picture in? That's easy too, merely upload the picture to your personal album and then you'll be able to go back and use the insert image from album button. You have already created an album, haven't you?

Thankfully all that is now history and in a few months time it will all be forgotten. 

?

All true and very welcome, however other unwelcome (by me) elements have been introduced. I don't recall having to wade through 10 screens of topics on the home page or just 3 one line posts per page, or every picture filling best part of my screen whether I want it or not. It may present better on a smartphone but on my PC the continuous scrolling through wasted space really, really Erks me big style.

And why still a double space with a return, doesn't in any WP I have ever used. (Yes you can hold the shift key while pressing return - but WHY?)

Progress - certainly but can't help feeling that my PC viewing has been s p r e a d  o u t way more than it needed to be. I don't use a SM but do notice that name, avatar and gumph are in a narrow top band where as on a PC its widely spaced down one edge making the frame far lager than necessary of a simple one liner.