New power system for Drones

sharpy1071

I don't know whether this has been discussed on this forum if it has I apologise. Been reading and article and press release about a substance called Powerpaste which when it mixes with water it creates electricity. It's 10x more denser than present batteries in cars and also made up from Magnesium and Hydrogen Magnesium is a very common substance found on this planet. It's been tested in the laboratory with success and is being muted to be applied to small motorcycles as the storage tank does not have to be pressurised as is a car powered by hydrogen. It has also been muted to be used on large drones for long distance flying. If this system could be miniaturised more we might well bee able to fill our small drones (aeroplane) with it. A fuel tank of water and a small pellet of Powerpaste could be another safe alternative to present batteries as will with stand heat up to 250C degrees.

That looks very interesting. The paper doesn't seem to go into too much detail about the cost of generating the electricity. It seems that the paste, once used, is thrown away? Is there a waste product? A lipo, of course can be recharged. Would we be buying litres of paste (as we used to buy nitro).  Will the weight of the system (in the aeroplane, helicopter etc.) negate some of the power advantages?

Interesting.

I've always thought that the secret to the world's energy crisis will be found within the elements that make up water.

This paste uses half of the available Hydrogen within the water, if my fundamental Chemistry knowledge is right.

.... and yes there is a waste product - Magnesium Hydroxide as used in Milk of Magnesia.

image.png.32596a0e6a344485e4190f989db99ff6.png

Edited by Gary Manuel

17 minutes ago, Phil Green said:

The problem with water is that whilst it contains hydrogen and oxygen, you're at the wrong end of the equation, the energy has been spent in getting it to that state.

Yes I know Phil but combined with another unlimited energy source like the Sun, Nuclear Fusion or who knows what, it may be possible to separate the elements again. Wishful thinking and lack of knowledge maybe, but wouldn't it be wonderful?

3 hours ago, Gary Manuel said:

Yes I know Phil but combined with another unlimited energy source like the Sun, Nuclear Fusion or who knows what, it may be possible to separate the elements again. Wishful thinking and lack of knowledge maybe, but wouldn't it be wonderful?

Careful what you wish for. We use too much energy.  Unlimited power sources provide unlimited power. When everyone zooms round in 2 ton SUV’s, where does the waste heat go. 

imagine the world, deep sided frying pan, and God puts a small ring under it, and then it starts to get warm, then warmer.....Answer is never burn more energy to put refrigerators on the pan bottom. 

I've often wondered whether by trapping some solar energy which would presumably reflect into space and using it to do work and therefore produce heat within the atmosphere, it's quite as green as it's trumpeted.  Hopefully converting wind power to electrical energy won't have too significant an effect on wind flow and weather patterns but there must be some sort of influence.

One problem with your fridges Don - they need energy to function and the overall effect is to add more heat!

Not  a boffin but consider this,  film of paste on paper, blotting paper, film of paste on paper, blotting papers. i.e sandwich the components much like some batteries. 

Re hydrate the blotting papers and just replace paste sheets.

Should I patent this or o to back of class ?

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with our search for a sustainable energy source is that we appear to be making the same mistake as we did with fossil fuels in that it seems we're putting all our eggs in one basket rather than spreading the load. Take cars as an example, rather than planning an infrastructure with alternatives we are totally committed to powering EV's. That's not long term planning.

At around 1910 in Chicago the car/truck was taking over from horses as a main form of transport. For the people who lived there is was a boon. No more stinking horse muck of which there was thousands of ton's to shift and pile up every week. In the summer billions of fly's came to spread diseases that resulted in some ten thousand extra deaths a year.

The end of the petrol/diesel car could have a similar boon world wide. Whether that is a good thing I am not so sure given the numbers of people on the planet already.

I do agree that other power forms are needed. Battery EV is simply not going to be suitable for trucks, tractors, ships or other heavy equipment including large aeroplanes.