Quick guide - Tagging threads and people...

MattyB

Another quick guide from me, this time on tagging which I do find useful to bring people's attention to a post or help find content more easily later on...

1) Tagging a thread

When you start a thread you can add Tags directly under the title. These are used to help the search engine in the site (and even external searches such as Google in some instances) find relevant content more easily. You can see what I added to this very thread when I kicked it off as an example...

image.png.73a4ba6d77706ae464513597159adbfa.png

Once the thread is posted those same tags appear under the thread title when it's opened:

image.png.74f50e0a935905db600db066b207cc89.png

...and even in the Latest Posts, Unread Content and other configurable views...

image.png.8eafa04f8cc0c1b10f8a49e77e5343e6.png

Each of the tags is clickable, so if you want to read more about a topic that has been tagged simply click on it and the forum search engine will return similarly tagged content. Not that useful yet, but over time it will improve the searchability of the forum.

2) Tagging a person

Want to bring someone's attention to a post in a thread? Simply type the @ symbol in your post followed by their forum handle and they will receive an alert in their notification centre. For instance I can tag myself like this @MattyB, or one of the Mods... @Chris Bott - Moderator. As soon as I start to type after the @ symbol the forum will start to guess forum names based on what you have inputted, and once you post clicking on the pale blue tag will send the viewer straight to their forum profile. Handy stuff I think, and another benefit of the new site.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

You don’t necessarily need the tags, the posts are displayed with their subject plus the latest person to reply together with OP, whilst not shown as links if you just click on the name you will go straight to their profile. How do I know? Fat fingers!

True, but none of that notifies a person I want to see my post proactively. If I type @Ron Gray you will see something in your notifications list that takes you straight to the post in question. Horses for courses!

Edited by MattyB