Beech 18 by Cyril Carr (June 2012)

Wasaforumite

I started a thread on this plan recently but it got lost in the changeover (and messages I received about it).

Initially I was looking for solutions to building the retractable undercarriage that is briefly mentioned in the article but not shown on the plan. It seems nobody has tried to build this little plane , which is a shame. I'll have to muddle through.

The plan is all foam construction using what was originally called 'blue foam'. I am trying to source a modern equivalent but from what I can see it is very pricy stuff and it would be cheaper to use balsa. Also the problem with foam is the high cost of postage which sort of doubles the outlay.

It could be that builders merchants sell something equivalent - the question is what? Suggestions please?

John, Thanks for the suggestion. Anything with fibres impregnated won't cut using a hot wire cutter. The foil surfaced boards aren't really suitable. A lot of these companies have minimum orders.

Foam wings used to be popular. I wonder if people still do them and what do they use?

Trouble is at the moment I can't go nosing around Builders Merchants.

Foam wings normally used white foam that weighed 1 pound per cubic foot.

Depending on how the Beech is constructed, small items could possibly be made from scrap packaging white foam which sands OK if used with brand new coarse glasspaper,  the surface can be covered in brown paper and dilute PVA.  Scrap stuff might be heavier than 1 pound cu ft.   Wings of course need larger sheets and need to be veneered or covered in balsa.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've the foam materials sorted for this now. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm thinking of using the Elite 10-15 retracts. Every picture I've seen of these shows them folding sideways i.e like a Spitfire. Does anyone have experience of them when they are used with the main wheels folding back as in the Twin Beech? When used sideways the landing loads are taken by the mounts. When used fore and aft the loads are taken by the mechanism - is it up to the job? Perhaps I am mistaken how they work? Comments welcome, thanks.