HOBBYKING UK - Courier Costs on Lipo's over 4s

Tomtom39

I've tried to buy some Lipos from the  UK warehouse and shipping to a UK address was estimated at £36.48 . It seems that HK are unable to use R.M at present for Lipo's or"heavy packages" and this is now their standard charge from 0g to 18kg. Has anyone else had similar issues?  Other co's are charging approximately 20% of this to courier a battery over to me , I can't understand why HK can't . Are there any employee's from the Suffolk warehouse on this forum as the live chat response is of no real help.

Hello Brian/KC  Many thanks I will look into HRB Lipo's . 

KC . Nothings free in life ? . Read through it . Basically Lipo's are not eligible if in excess of 100W/hr . ie Amps X Volts  = Watts (I think) . Oh and also minimum order is $100 and other exclusions/exclusion lists etc. 

Hi Guys

Tomtom

What Lipo's were you trying to buy. Tried a few popular sizes and postage seemed to be pretty much normal.

One thought does occur to me.

I know free shipping is not available on LiPo's adding up to more than 100 W/H. Wonder if RM might have a restriction on max W/H irrespective of free shipping. If you order was over that, HK would have to use a courier, and courier rates differ from company to company.

Brian

Had a look on Amazon for HRB LiPo's but found only a restricted range of sizes. Nothing, for instance, in 2200 3s. This just for a price comparison, so am I looking in the right place?

Jeff

Royal Mail have a restriction on shipping Lithium batteries full stop. batteries have to be sent via courier.

I've lifted this paragraph from the Royal Mail website as the link is a bit non-obvious to get the relevant info:

"Batteries that are classified as dangerous goods by the latest edition of the Technical Instructions for Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air published by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) including wet spillable lead acid/ lead alkaline batteries (such as car batteries), lithium batteries when not sent with or contained in equipment, used alkaline metal, nickel metal hydride (NiMH), nickel cadmium (NiCd) and zinc-air batteries, and damaged batteries of any type. Please note this includes power banks."

I sent some engines by post a couple of weeks ago and was quizzed by the counter staff at the Post Office about the contents.  There were several notices posted with messages like the one Alan quotes above.  What I don't understand is why they think a Lithium battery contained in a piece of equipment is OK but one on its own isn't.  After all if the battery is installed it can be switched on or shorted out in transit. A properly packed individual battery is much less likely to be - especially if it's in storage charge.

I've bought batteries recently (including a very high energy battery bank capable of starting a 2.5 litre diesel engine - I tried it) but I think they came by courier.  Now there are almost no retail outlets buying LiPos is getting to be difficult - as is buying glow fuel, I guess. 

Geoff

Hi Geoff

Actually sort of makes sense.

Can't remember where I saw it, but one of the carriers specified that any LiPo shipped in equipment should have the off switch locked in the off position (they suggest taping it closed) and the equipment itself securely packaged to prevent unwanted movement, and potential damage.

Compare that with a fully charged LiPo wrapped in brown paper. I know which I would rather transport.

Wonder whether that's why Parcelforce will only accept LiPo shipments from account customers, not private ones. After all, account customers would be expected to know how to pack properly for shipment, and also, generally to ship only partially charged, which would reduce the risk of incident.

Just my thoughts

Jeff

18 hours ago, Jeffrey Cottrell 2 said:

Hi Guys

Tomtom

What Lipo's were you trying to buy. Tried a few popular sizes and postage seemed to be pretty much normal.

One thought does occur to me.

I know free shipping is not available on LiPo's adding up to more than 100 W/H. Wonder if RM might have a restriction on max W/H irrespective of free shipping. If you order was over that, HK would have to use a courier, and courier rates differ from company to company.

Brian

Had a look on Amazon for HRB LiPo's but found only a restricted range of sizes. Nothing, for instance, in 2200 3s. This just for a price comparison, so am I looking in the right place?

Jeff

I was looking to buy some 6S 5000  plus mAh. . It would appear that the courier fee of £36.48 (Dangerous goods) applies to batteries (I assume this might apply to other cell chemistries ) where its in excess of 100W/hrs. eg 6s (22.2v) x  4500mAh = 99.99W/Hrs and that appears to be fine for transit by Parcel force (apologies all, I mentioned RM in a previous post - shows my age!)

Jeff. I have bought some Sunpawdo 60c 5100mAh 6S via Amazon for £53 each (no delivery charge and arrived the next day) . None left now so kicking myself for not buying more.  I shall run these and see how they perform over a period (subject to being allowed to fly)

I still reckon it's worth seeing if fellow club members can make up an order and share the cost.

In normal times one could collect from HobbyKing and I presume that normal times will return and it may be possible to collect from them.   HobbyKing UK warehouse was  in the Colchester/ Ipswich area.

HobbyKing Lipos are cheaper than many sources so the carriage has to be accepted!    But if it were my order I would add a few extra popular sizes & either offer them to others at the club or keep for the future.   Or I would add a few rolls of covering film which is always expensive in carriage and always handy.

Note that the 100w/ hours does not seem to apply to EU warehouse but of course there is the possibility of import charges now.  Could be a better bet?