Peter Miller 0-four9ier

EarlyBird

As my RF-4 build is coming to an end I have started thinking what next.

I have downloaded the plan and article from outerzone, @Peter Millerdesigned and recommended it so it must be good.

It looks a good candidate for a first plan build.

First I will go to the printers and get a couple of plans printed, why else would one go to the printers ?

Just a minute I have The Ohmen waiting to start and by the time I can get to the printers we will be flying again.

It's good to have plenty to do.

• Like 1

I wasn't over enamoured by the look of the Ohmen which our club chose as a mass build project just before Covid struck.  As a committee member, I decided to join in but with a scaled down version for a little OS 20FS that was sitting in a drawer waiting patiently for a home (with a little perverse pleasure from reverse engineering an electric design for IC) and I have to say that both mine and the 15 or so produced by builders ranging from first timers to veterans have been a raging success.  Almost all of the builds have flown between lock downs and their owners are delighted with them. My little one (40" span) can be a bit feisty but is pure fun whereas a 3S powered standard 48" version could serve as a first low winger with reasonable control movements.  With 4S power they are little monsters...

Thoroughly recommended...

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of points to prospective builders.

The ribs vary quite a bit, Trim the rear of the ribs off and use 1/4" trailing edge. This also give better adhesion for Mylar hinges,

I will post pictures of the motor and cowl conversion. Also the battery bay which is now going through major surgury as it needs a bit of a redesign. I COULD  get the battery and plugs in but they needed persuasion with a 2 1/2 hammer.?

Eventually the plans will be published but not soon as they will have to wait for another plan that will fit on one side of a plan sheet.

The original used comparatively large servos, (Compared to 9 gram ones that we all use today)

HEY!!!! They lost the Spell checker!!!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

Can you help with this @Martin Harris - Moderator?

Peter what PC and browser are you using, MacBook?

I’m afraid I’ve never even seen a Chrome Book.

There is probably a setting somewhere to enable spell checking. I’ve tried the Chrome browser on my PC and that highlights a misspelled word with a wiggly line. 

Are there any Chrome Book users out there that could help Peter?

5 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

I am using amotor salavaged frommy Waco Hadrain.  A 2321 2050 with a 2o0 ESC and an 1100mah battery.

This set up flew my Miss Camomile well so will be just about right for this one.

I have the 4-Max 2321 2050 as a recommended replacement for 049 in Mayfly. 2s and 8x4 prop. The power is just right, but I am currently replacing it. The X-mount is thin carbon sheet, which has cracked (I crashed too much while learning). As a small motor it has screw spacings which are narrow, and replacement X-mounts are hard to find. It also just looks too small in the model and as a replacement for an 049 and heavy 1960s RC I have had to add lead anyway to get the balance. My replacement choice is 2826 1900 which is a little heavier but at least looks a lot more sturdy. Even with the extra weight there will still be ballast. The parts are more standard across my other models as well.

I have not tested which prop to give the power I want on 2s.