Jaguar Lands on M55 Motorway

Someone I knew landed his Jodel on the M1 and taxied into Leicester Forest East services at around the same time.  He was trying to get to East Mids but there was low cloud over the high ground and he wasn't instrument rated - at least that was his excuse.  He got fined, IIRC and was quite upset they wouldn't let him take off again after the weather improved.  He managed to manhandle it into an adjacent field thus limiting his expenses a bit ?  The M1 wasn't as busy back then as it is normally now, I suppose.

He was a member of Sutton-in-Ashfield sailing club and wasn't above buzzing the club.

Geoff

To be honest, I think Tim fancied the idea of landing on the M1.  He was (perhaps still is, I haven't spoken to him for years) a happy-go-lucky chap.   There obviously was a suitable field because he found one to take off from adjacent to the Leicester Forest services.

I've tried to Google the incident but it was long before the internet and any mention of aircraft and the motorway always refers to the Kegworth crash on approach to E Mids in 1989.  Tim Castledine's JOdel landing was before then  - 1975ish? perhaps. Time flies.

Geoff