Leprechaun XL

I have just ordered and received this Laser cut kit from Dane-RC in Denmark. Has anyone built this model ?

If so l have a few queries looking at the plan particularly as to position of Aileron servos and the very long piano wire rods suggested from Servo to Aileron horn. I will try to post a picture shortly. Thanks

Geoff Daunt

I suspect that it might just be Dane's Michael little quirk in his designs. I've not (yet) attempted the Leprechaun but have built both the Wisel and Wisel XL and both have extraordinarily long control links. I did ponder moving the servo positions but in the end accepted it as drawn and used carbon tubes around the 2mm pushrods to stiffen things up on the linkage.IMG_3288.thumb.jpeg.d26ffe90a7047a2d8d4594837222c621.jpeg

Edited by John Lee

Hi Ron . Well there’s a story here. Last Yr l bought the Super Sinbad kit from New Zealand and yes l received a letter requiring Import duty before it could be released.

With the Leprechaun XL l ordered it after January so we had left the EU and therefore saved about 20 percent Danish Tax.

All the correct labelling was on the Box and price of kit and motor was declared in Euros...... but it was simply delivered by Courier.

l have tried to look up the rules/ regulations but could not find the answer since l paid more for this kit than the Sinbad.

So perhaps no import duty or maybe l was just lucky ??

The laser cut parts are excellent.

Go on treat yourself ??

A bit more research and l have now found the answer, and good news.

The Eu-UK Trade & Cooperative Agreement...... Provides for Zero Tariffs & Zero Quotas on all Trade of EU & UK goods that comply with the appropriate rules of origin.

So l was not lucky there is no duty.

Obviously these rules do not apply to New Zealand.

l bought the XL, Hacker Motor, and Leprechaun lettering sheet.

You will not find the UK price on the Dane-rc website. You need to ask Michael via the website order form and he will Quote you a price including shipping. I did not bother with the split fuselage. I have a large estate car that will take the fuselage.

In total mine cost 502 Euros or £ 462 at time of my transfer.

model came within about 2 weeks 

Hope that helps??

Do keep in touch if you buy and can swap building issues.

website had excellent photos of stage building.. no building instructions and certainly not one for a beginner but experienced builder.

On 19/02/2021 at 11:38, Geoff Daunt said:

By good fortune l have managed to add these photos.

Why have the Servos so far forward and a massive link of 10 inches in length. Rear of rib about 1” in depth so very easy to build in a platform and put Servo upside down with short connecting arm . Or am l missing something ??

9DB12337-3BC0-40D6-AAF9-1C7C9A4BF8B0.jpeg

135BA26A-F3DB-4076-BD4A-D6804A73DA93.jpeg

4CD5E2C3-13B4-4021-AC78-CAD4C23F5A99.jpeg

Just found out from Michael that the reason they are positioned there is because he wanted to make it look as close to the original as possible so he’s hiding the servos rather than being able to see them.

5 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Just found out from Michael that the reason they are positioned there is because he wanted to make it look as close to the original as possible so he’s hiding the servos rather than being able to see them.

Considering how unlike the original it is, I think Michael is taking the Michael. ? 

Personally I think that he has kept the spirit of the original with his redesign and let’s face it Twoomey’s 1950s one was free flight and not RC. I’m also not too concerned that the pylon wing mount has been replaced. So I think all Michael is trying to do is hide the servos!

Anyway I like the look, I better had as mine has now shipped!