Blade MSR Indoor Helicopter - Forlorn hope dept.

After all this lockdown inactivity, I finally got round to digging out my little indoor heli for a bit of thumb exercise.  It's a year or three since I last used it so I charged all my little flight batteries, switched on the old DX6i transmitter that I bought years ago for BNF indoor stuff...and all the model does is flash a blue light at me after a few seconds.

Reference to the book tells me it means it wants binding so I went through the procedure numerous times and even bound an old Spektrum receiver that I'd acquired in a second hand model to a spare memory to prove I had the right technique. 

Old batteries sagging under load?  No - I just tried a brand new one and there's no difference.  Attempting to bind to the old supplied E-flite "toy" transmitter failed similarly.

There's not a lot to look at - all the electronics are on a common board with no visible loose wires or corrosion/dry joints and I've reseated the power connector to the board. Before I bin the little devil, does anyone have any ideas for getting some life from it?

my msr is bound to a dx6i. 

On the board somewhere should be a little copper wire antenna. THat didnt break did it? we used to get them back at the model shop with this fault but it was usually after a crash

If you do decide to ditch it, can i swipe the carcass for spares? mine is airworthy but only just. ALmost everything is broken on it 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

Bad news Jon - I found a replacement 5 in 1 board on line.  It arrived this morning and I bound it to the Blade model memory.

The first time it bound, I thought here we go again...only one of the onboard servos responded.  Rebound it and it was OK (might have been a gyro initialisation problem perhaps).  Anyway, it seemed fine after that glitch so I popped it into the heli and test flew it quite satisfactorily.

After the session, I thought I'd just try binding the old board once more on the spare memory that I'd tried it on before, prior to consigning it to the bin. Beep beep beep...buzz.  It bound and now works the onboard servos perfectly!  The only difference is that the main and tail rotor motors were disconnected when I bound each board. Bearing in mind that I'd reseated both these plugs during my earlier attempts, could this make a difference?

I never did trust Spektrum...

I tried walking into the next room and all points between.  It does occur to me that I have my router nearby so that might have affected things but doesn't explain (a) why the new board bound easily and (b) why the original board lost its bind.

At least I can keep my thumbs supple for the end of March now!