Transmitter setup for motorised glider

Simon Clark

Hello all,

I have been flying power models (some quite complex) for many years but i am now setting up my first proper motorised glider and i am looking to see how people tend to set up the controls. It is a Composite RC Edge 1500 which I guess could be described as a hotliner (maybe). It has flaps and ailerons. I want to use all the features such as camber and crow braking and I fully understand how these work BUT I am not sure about the best way to control them. I had thought about setting up one flight mode for general flying and another for landing where the crow brakes come in at low throttle setting and the motor only active at high throttle settings.

I have a Futaba T18SZ so a lot of setups are possible. I am quite used to using various mixes and flight modes etc. but what do people usually do for gliders?

Thanks for any pointers

Simon

I use motor on a switch - I am either climbing or gliding so don't need an intermediate setting. Any intermediate throttle for launch is controlled by a timed curve in the Tx.

I use different flight modes for camber (lets you adjust the elevator trim to suit) - one for speed, one for thermaling, and often a third or more variations for other tasks e.g. "distance" work or a landing trim.

Crow braking is on a proportional control - most people use the throttle stick, but I often use a side slider on my gliders which don't have a rudder.

Everyone has their own variations on what suits them, so don't get too hung up on it.

Dick

Edited by Dickw

Good morning Simon,

Take a look at the current thread headed Multiplex Heron Setup, you will find lots of relevant and useful information there, some of which I have posted.

I have also signposted to David Ashby's very useful article on Crow/butterfly braking in the May 2020 issue of RCM&E starting on page 27. Everything that David says in the article is spot on! (Well he did glean some of his info from the gliding group that he flies with and I am one of that band of regular slopers! ??

Hello Dick and Eric,

Thanks very much for your swift responses, both of which are invaluable. I should have searched through all the other posts first as there is already a lot of info there as you point out. I think that I have everything I need now except for the opportunity to go flying!

Thanks again

Simon

Hi Simon, I'm pleased that you found the info and signposting of help.

Yes, it is frustrating not being able to fly at present, but at least I have had the opportunity to catch up with outstanding repairs on models, so I should have a decent stock of airworthy gliders when we restart. Slope soaring gliders can have a bit of a hard life . . . . or can I blame it on the weather, and not my suspect flying abilities. After 50 years of slope soaring, you'd have thought I would have got the hang of it by now! ???