Futaba T16sz and FrSky

cymaz

I’m thinking of changing my old Futaba 9 cap for a T16sz.

I have mostly FrSky TFR8 receivers.

However, after some reading there may be a compatibility issue between the two. This maybe fixed by an upgrade due to EU protocols.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Will the T16sz just simply bind onto my old Rxs? I simply don’t want to buy the Tx and then need to change all my Rxs.

Cheers?

I don’t know all the details, but some users did experience issues with the Frsky reverse engineered RXs after Futaba adjusted FASST in 2015 for the updated regs. I am pretty sure that it was fixed by a Frsky firmware update a few weeks later though - do a search on RCGroips or the Frsky download website and all will I’m sure become clear. 

4 hours ago, cymaz said:

I’m thinking of changing my old Futaba 9 cap for a T16sz.

I have mostly FrSky TFR8 receivers.

However, after some reading there may be a compatibility issue between the two. This maybe fixed by an upgrade due to EU protocols.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Will the T16sz just simply bind onto my old Rxs? I simply don’t want to buy the Tx and then need to change all my Rxs.

Cheers?

Hi there,

Unfortunately you most probably won't be able to use the FrSky receivers with the 16SZ unless you have the receivers upgraded or you may be lucky if your receivers aren't too old and they may have the EU compliant update installed. It may be a case of suck it and see. You may have to budget for a number of new Futaba receivers, although you do get a 'free' one with the 16SZ. ??

I had the same issue when I bought my 14 SG and all was OK with using the FrSky TFR8 receivers, (I have eight of them), until the Tx software was upgraded from V5 to V6 and then the receivers started to 'misbehave', dithering and not centring properly.

After bit of investigation it transpired that the receivers needed to be upgraded and a lead and a dongle was required to achieve this. As the lead and dongle were unobtainable, I put the receivers in a drawer and replaced them with Futaba receivers namely FASST, FASSTest and S-FHSS (which are quite reasonably priced) . . . Note: the 16SZ will operate T-FHSS receivers which are also well priced.

I did find a very helpful guy on another forum who could do the upgrade for a fiver a receiver, but I have put that on hold for the time being as I seem to keep acquiring Futaba receivers of various protocols from a range of sources.

The link to the Scale Soaring UK website is to a thread that I contributed to a couple of years ago when this compatibility, or lack of, issue raised its head.

I was quite happy with using the TFR8 receivers, in fact I have a twin Rx set-up in my 5.2 metre MDM-1 Fox glider and I never have any issues with that when using my Robbe Futaba FC-18 with a Futaba plug-in 2.4 Tx module . My flying buddy Simon WS in the Scale Soaring thread, uses FrSky FASST receivers in conjunction with his FX-20 Tx (V5 only), in all of his large gliders without any issues at all.

I hope that some of the above ramblings is of assistance.

PS - I'm thinking of getting a 16SZ as well as the 14SG hasn't got enough channels for my largest glider.

Cheers Frank, the 16sz does support fasst...so the Futaba rcjaz web site shows

I like the user interface of the 16sz. It’s the cost of replacing all the RXs. I sure someone will say that what £65 compared to the model and safety ( I wholeheartedly agree) ....it’s when you need to buy 10 ?

AA1CC9A2-5388-4C22-92FB-79A8C6F9B0FE.png

• 1 month later...

A clubmate has bought the Futaba 18sz. Too good an opportunity to miss and see if my FrSky Rxs will work. 

Took along an old TFR6. The 18sz has no version upgrades, it was bearly out of the box. All worked perfectly. The range check was faultless. The 18sz manual states 30-50m we went up to 70m with no issue, even with the aerial pointing in various directions and the Rx held among servo, switch and battery wires. 

Just thought I’d do an update in case anyone was thinking of upgrading at any point.

• 2 months later...

I've just treated myself to the 16SZ, just in the process of setting up my first model with it, I'm pleased with it overall but it's quite a culture shock in as much it's like learning a different language ie no mention of exponential anymore you have to set up curves in what is now the AFR menu (Adjustable Function Rate). The transmitters capabilities are enormous, the manual although complex is a vast improvement on previous Futaba manuals ?

• 1 month later...

Well, I’ve been told there should be a good work bonus in the new year....if we don’t get shafted ?‍♂️?️

Mrs C has said as it’s my bonus I should get the best I can. I’ve got to budget for Rxs as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it’s arrived. This is one very steep learning curve. Most of the day programming in a Wot4XL.

Mind you, I’ve put in

1. high idle rate with voice prompt
  2. triple rates with voice prompt 
  3. ignition cut 
  4. photo of airplane 

Not a bad day’s efforts for a first attempt, and got the user name changed. If the weather holds up then I should be out with it tomorrow. Just a good range check and mustn’t forget to try the failsafe

6D7E6B2B-92A0-427E-98F1-BC5F47CE673D.jpeg

Edited by cymaz
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just been offered the 18 sz by a club mate, asked if I could have a good look over the weekend before deciding but unfortunately I have quite a few frsky TFR6 rx's and they aren't compatible so although it's a decent bargain it's not financially viable for the amount of non compatible receivers that I already have