It fell from the sky

J D 8

In the news today an airliner in America has an engine explosion and parts rain down on those below. Luck there were no casualty's .  Of course it was because not enough duct tape was used.

Item in foreground is an airliner fuel cap found in a six inch deep hole in one of my fields some years ago.

SAM_1787.JPG

• Haha 1

Apparently the engine did not explode, it was the front engine casing that fell off. The pilot returned to Denver and landed the plane 31,000 lbs overweight....so yes...not enough duct tape....this is the second similar occurrence as the aircraft made before this one also suffered an engine failure with bits falling off it.   N772UA, this one,(fifth manufactured.) and N773UA (sixth manufactured.) have both had major engine failures during their lifetimes. (source zargon) . Both fitted with Pratt & Whitney PW4000 engines.

Edited by FlyinFlynn
additional info.

On the BBC news this morning there was passengers videos of the engine burning the outer casing was meting and pieces were falling off, the biggest piece was the front ring which weighs a ton it dropped on an SUV which did not like it the owner was standing near when it happened. Fortunately no one was hurt.

Excellent video, Shaunie.  That guy certainly knew what he was talking about and gave a very sensible and measured account.  He even reported on the engine type which, for some reason, even when it's an engine issue, is often not on media outlets. As a former RR employee that's important to me.

Many years ago I wrote the software and designed the hardware to control a blade-off/containment test on a test rig with a dummy engine turned by a huge electric motor.  It ran in a vacuum to limit the power needed to turn the fan at the right speed.  So containment is of particular interest in my case. 

Geoff

Edited by Geoff S
  • Like 2

funny how the news is biased in its content,the same thing happened yesterday to a Boeing 747 over Maastricht showering the residents with bits of engine blades....just wondering if due to CV...the aircraft lying around is doing them no good....check out the blade stuck in the car roof

ken anderson...ne...1..aircraft dept.  

blade.jpg

Edited by ken anderson.
add pic
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Geoff S said:

Excellent video, Shaunie.  That guy certainly knew what he was talking about and gave a very sensible and measured account.  He even reported on the engine type which, for some reason, even when it's an engine issue, is often not on media outlets. As a former RR employee that's important to me.

Many years ago I wrote the software and designed the hardware to control a blade-off/containment test on a test rig with a dummy engine turned by a huge electric motor.  It ran in a vacuum to limit the power needed to turn the fan at the right speed.  So containment is of particular interest in my case. 

Geoff

I’ve been following Juan on his Blancolirio channel for a while now. Gives accurate factual reports updated as information arises. I also recommend Petter on mentourpilot and VASAviation. 

Edited by Shaunie

Interesting. The blade-off test/experiment I was very involved with back in the 1980s was the first trial to see if 3 wraps of kevlar would contain a blade.  It was quite spectacular to watch the high speed video afterwards and see how far the supposedly non-stretch kevlar actually stretched but still contained the blade OK.  It was a big deal because of the weight saving over other containment methods.

RR (and presumably other manufacturers) are required to carry out blade off tests on a full engine for certification but IIRC just on an engine and not including the casing as it says here.  I haven't flown commercially for 20 years but, when I did, I avoided a seat in line with the engines even when it was one of 'ours' ?

I remember losing a blade on the multi-blade cooling fan on our AH Sprite and the vibration was incredible.  I thought we'd broken the crankshaft.  Luckily the part ejected downwards and chopped the chassis a bit (easily repaired) rather than the bonnet (expensively repaired!).