How do ? Newbie here

Upkeep

Hi all

Quick hello.

New guy here from the Surrey area, Nr Dorking. Just purchased the Hobby zone Carbon cub and have been enjoying flying that for the past few days. It flies really well and at a good slow pace for my 53 YO eyes ! 

I want to get into the scale warbird side of things at some point and one or two AC I have a eye on is the Vought F4U and a I think a Lancaster. So I will be asking a few questions regarding differences in characteristics between high and low wing flying etc. Next stage models from the cub etc .

Cheers folks

Bones

53! You're just a lad!

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!

Are you a member of a club Bones? If so I expect that fellow club members will be able to advise you on your next model but as a rule of thumb I tend to suggest that once novice pilots have managed to fly a four channel trainer (i.e. a trainer with ailerons) that they move on to a four channel sports model and then on to four channel low wing sports model before progressing on to a warbird. The WOT 4 and Acrowot are examples of high and low wing sports models.

Just my opinion, others will have their own views.

Oh and BTW, by "managed to fly" I mean to take off, fly around and land close to the pilot repeatedly without hitting anything! Or anybody!!

Hi Upkeep and welcome to the forum. 

Lots of help here, any questions just ask. 

You mention already flying the cub. That begs a few questions at this time. It's best we make sure you know of your obligations. 

Some strict rules have been introduced quite recently by the authorities. Do you know about Operator IDs and competency tests etc? 

None of these are at all difficult but will keep you on the right side of the law. 

Insurance is also very highly recommended and not expensive. 

Before moving on from the CC make sure that you've wrung out every corner of its flight potential. It might be a high wing trainer type but with a few adjustments it'll be capable of most sport type aerobatics and get you used to coping with the model at higher speeds and in odd orientations!  Get the landings to be as near perfect as you can,  because once you start with warbirds or other scale types with retracts then a whole world of pain exists from bent, jammed and ripped out undercarts if your landings are rough. Very few of us really perfect landings (just look at the evidence on YouTube) and there's always work to be done to get as good as you can. Your Cub has so much potential yet remaining, don't spend out on anything else until it starts to become boring and crashes and repairs are a rarity rather than the norm.

As for the low wing/high wing thing - I wouldn't get too hung up over how one differs from the other at this stage.  Back in the day it used to be that one started on a one, two or three channel high wing, then 'full house', then a low wing sportster with a 40 glow motor, then a bigger version with a 60 and so on and so forth - and all built from a kit or plan, naturally!

I see new flyers at my clubs start out as you have with a similar beginners RTF model and then jump straight into low wing sport type model and usually take to it with little or no trouble at all. Modern foamies have opened up a whole world of possibilities that didn't exist when I started out in the 70s and the rate of progression without the need to spend months building can be astonishing.   It does depend on the individual, but it's more a matter of confidence and preparation than outright ability in most cases. Having a club to fly at and so have access to some help is a huge advantage and as has been said there is more red tape to our hobby these days that you will need to deal with, but nothing to put you off. Good luck.

Edited by Cuban8

And if you want to move on from the CC, you will need access to a decent field that you can fly faster and heavier models in safety, with a decent, well maintained runway for takeoff and landing (obviously not possible to use at the moment due to Covid).

The BMFA Clubfinder  BMFA Club Finder (azolve.com) will help you.

Forgive me if you already have this in hand, or access to a suitable private field.

Good luck!

GG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks

Sorry for the late reply to these messages. I managed to create an account and then couldn't log back in for some reason. Admin have sorted me out ( Thanks Dave ) 

Thanks for all the info. 

To answer some questions thrown up 

@David Davis Not a club member as yet but looking . Yes flying around and landing, somehow. Been on intermediate and doing lost of circuits and bumps  ? 

@Chris Bott I did the CAA online test the day I got the airplane. All done and dusted, details stuck to the Cub ? 

@Ken anderson  Got two large fields just outside my back garden. I wander over there for my 'exercise'

@Brian Lambert  I emailed the other day. I need to reply to Dave G. Just been ever so busy this week ! 

@Cuban8  Will do. Been flying on intermediate but hesitant to flick it to full on just yet ?  

Cheers Folks

Bones

Edited by Upkeep
  • Like 1

Upkeep

Just be aware that flying a model plane is technically outside the Covid restriction. The issue is not so much breaking the rules but if someone sees, or hears, you flying and complains about your activity to the press. Not very likely maybe but it is the sort of publicity the RC fraternity really doesn't need at the moment given that the BMFA have been impressing on the CAA how responsible 'plane' flyers are.

Just saying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon Chaddock said:

Upkeep

Just be aware that flying a model plane is technically outside the Covid restriction. The issue is not so much breaking the rules but if someone sees, or hears, you flying and complains about your activity to the press. Not very likely maybe but it is the sort of publicity the RC fraternity really doesn't need at the moment given that the BMFA have been impressing on the CAA how responsible 'plane' flyers are.

Just saying.

Simon. Please advise as to where the information is regarding not being allowed to fly a model aeroplane during Covid restrictions.

Unfortunately there are many contradictions and assumptions being made (including official ones) regarding what can and cannot be done.

As of Monday we will be allowed to meet up with one other person outdoors for exercise, to have a beverage,  or a picnic.

So we can go to the field for a run around, a chat, or a coffee, but cannot fly a model aeroplane ? Seems rather ludicrous to me.

Particularly if one looks around oneself in any town, or city at how people are behaving on the streets currently !

Anyway, this thread is about a newbie, who is most welcome in joining this forum.

Let us hope that his enthusiasm (and ability) continues to grow throughout this coming flying season (whatever the weather !).

My understanding is that model flying is not specifically banned but travelling anything more than a token distance to do so contravenes the guidance to stay at home except for essential purposes or exercise.  While some might argue that model flying is a form of exercise, that may not hold much sway with an officer of the law questioning where you're going with a car load of models and gear.  The penalty to you could be a £200 fine and the penalty to someone you encounter on the way or at the field could be death.

Yes, we can possibly make a case to justify to ourselves what would be regarded as simply playing with toy aeroplanes by the majority of the public, but I believe we should think about the larger picture.

22.02.2021 в 12:13 GrumpyGnome сказал:

И если вы хотите перейти от CC, вам понадобится доступ к приличному полю, на котором вы можете безопасно летать на более быстрых и тяжелых моделях, с приличной, ухоженной взлетно-посадочной полосой для взлета и посадки (очевидно, что в настоящее время использовать ее невозможно. из-за Covid).

В этом вам поможет минное поле BMFA Clubfinder    .

Простите, если у вас уже есть это в руках или доступ к подходящему приватному полю.

Удачи!

GG

В отличие от американцев, англичане использовали свои «Корсары» не только в Тихом океане, но и в Европе. 3 апреля 1944 года «Корсары» 1834-й эскадрильи FAA сопровождали бомбардировщик-торпедоносец «Барракуда», чтобы атаковать немецкий линкор «Тирпиц» в северном норвежском фьорде. Однако атака не увенчалась успехом, и в июле и августе 1944 года было предпринято еще несколько атак. Были задействованы 1841-я и 1842-я эскадрильи «Корсары» с авианосца «Грозный». Следует отметить, что столкновений «Корсаров» с немецкими истребителями в ходе этой операции не было. Параллельно с европейским дебютом британский F4U начал использоваться в Тихом океане. Первая операция была проведена 19 апреля 1944 года, когда самолеты эскадрилий 1830 и 1833 сопровождали «Барракуд» для атаки порта Сабан на острове Суматра.