A limited return to flying?

Matt Carlton

The SAA statement has been issued, based on the latest advice from the Scottish Government and Sports Scotland,

https://www.saaweb.uk/covid_guidance_package_release_6.html?fbclid=IwAR3MicrDwsZu5WWYOCQyQuPtz0BxgK7Jl9ZsdgXCu1BoR4Cu8XSlHZtcnqo

So, as it says we are good to go, effective yesterday provided the Covid-compliant policies are in place and the travel restrictions are observed. That essentially limits travel to within your own local authority area, with wiggle room 5 miles outwith that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

The SAA statement has been issued, based on the latest advice from the Scottish Government and Sports Scotland,

https://www.saaweb.uk/covid_guidance_package_release_6.html?fbclid=IwAR3MicrDwsZu5WWYOCQyQuPtz0BxgK7Jl9ZsdgXCu1BoR4Cu8XSlHZtcnqo

So, as it says we are good to go, effective yesterday provided the Covid-compliant policies are in place and the travel restrictions are observed. That essentially limits travel to within your own local authority area, with wiggle room 5 miles outwith that.

Enjoy folks, not jealous, honest.

I won't be going out of my local authority area for a while yet and I'm still taking the overarching Stay at Home and essential travel only message seriously, but it shows a move in the right direction, with prospects for opening up a bit more during the spring. Those who are desperate  to fly now will be able to do so legally, which is important.

I'm not sure. My wife and I are volunteers on the UK Biobank panel, which means we've been poked, prodded, MRI scanned and answered all sorts of questions as part of epidemiological research projects.  We get no feedback (though if they find any significant problem they inform our GP) but the data are used for research purposes.  We volunteered to do some home testing on Covid 19 antibodies and the test kits arrived yesterday.  It involves doing a simple blood test by dropping some blood onto a test panel and observing the effects.  Mine showed negative but my wife's was positive.  As we were both vaccinated on 14th January I think I should have also tested positive for anti-bodies, too.  Perhaps my vaccination didn't work?  Though, of course, no test is 100% accurate one way or the other.

In any case I'm still taking care.  We should get our second vaccination (Pfizer) in early April, so we'll see.  I can't see myself flying until after that.

9 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

I'm not sure. My wife and I are volunteers on the UK Biobank panel, which means we've been poked, prodded, MRI scanned and answered all sorts of questions as part of epidemiological research projects.  We get no feedback (though if they find any significant problem they inform our GP) but the data are used for research purposes.  We volunteered to do some home testing on Covid 19 antibodies and the test kits arrived yesterday.  It involves doing a simple blood test by dropping some blood onto a test panel and observing the effects.  Mine showed negative but my wife's was positive.  As we were both vaccinated on 14th January I think I should have also tested positive for anti-bodies, too.  Perhaps my vaccination didn't work?  Though, of course, no test is 100% accurate one way or the other.

In any case I'm still taking care.  We should get our second vaccination (Pfizer) in early April, so we'll see.  I can't see myself flying until after that.

Interesting Geoff. The thought had passed my mind that as no vaccine is 100% effective, a follow-up antibody test might be a good idea. I never considered however, that the antibody test is also not 100% effective.

I think, as I have done from the very beginning of this crisis, that it's up to individuals to take their own precautions and err on the side of caution. That's what I've been doing and what I'll continue to do

• Like 1

@leccyflyerGosh, didn't realise you could travel in your local authority area - for me that means I could travel about 70 miles! Possibly even further for you.

In England, I think the 'stay local' means in your home village/town/city. I could include the club field in that as it's in my village, but I haven't been since lockdown started. Ironically, it's closer than the nearest accessible public space that I could fly a park flyer/heli/quadcopter in, whilst following Covid guidelines. 

Enjoy the flying. Although apart from those that stand on cliff tops with gliders made of lead, I suspect most will need the winds to subside a tad.

GG