North American T2 Buckeye

adrian garnham

Hi

After watching a build and flight video on YouTube (Julius Perdana) showing construction of a Depron pusher prop Buckeye I thought I would have a go at designing my own version but using hotwire cut XPS foam sheets.

I have made many balsa covered foam core wings in my youth (around 40 years ago !) and have designed and built a CNC hotwire foam cutter to use on this project.

I have created a 3d model using CAD and unlike the Depron version I will be mounting the brushless motor at the front. Hopefully it won't detract from the appearance too much.

Currently it is designed as follows:

Wing span: 1200 mm

Wing section: NACA 0015 symmetrical

Wing Area: approx 0.27 square metres

Airframe weight: approx 0.6 kg excluding motor and battery

Expected flying weight: between 1.2 & 1.5 kg depending on battery size and whether I fit retracts or not

Motor: Turnigy Aerodrive SK3-3536-1400kv V2

Prop: ?

Esc: 60A

Before I complete the design and start cutting foam I would welcome any feedback/comments on the above particularly with reference to the selected wing section, whether the motor will be powerful enough and suggestions for prop size etc.

buckeye.jpg

FB_IMG_1595866069076.jpg

• Like 1

Nice choice of aeroplane ?

A symmetrical NACA has no good stall characteristics on such a wing. It’s also quite thick. I can recommend SD6060 with the original 10% at the wing tip, thickened at the root to 12%. 2 degrees washout. Angle of incidence 0 degrees with your expected low wing load of 55 grams/dm2.

6060 will stall, too. But it is better controllable over a wide speed range. Aerobatics will be fine, too. And with that low wing load it will be easy to fly.

Timo

2 hours ago, Timo Starkloff said:

Nice choice of aeroplane ?

A symmetrical NACA has no good stall characteristics on such a wing. It’s also quite thick. I can recommend SD6060 with the original 10% at the wing tip, thickened at the root to 12%. 2 degrees washout. Angle of incidence 0 degrees with your expected low wing load of 55 grams/dm2.

6060 will stall, too. But it is better controllable over a wide speed range. Aerobatics will be fine, too. And with that low wing load it will be easy to fly.

Timo

Thank you Timo

I was a little concerned about the thickness of the wing. I have looked at the SD6060 and will go with your recommendation. I'm changing the CAD this evening.

Will post more info as I progress with the foam cutting.

1 hour ago, Danny Fenton said:

The motor will be a long way in front of the C of G, wont need nose weight that's for sure ? look forward to seeing how you progress.

Cheers

Danny

Danny

As I am designing this myself and the CAD program calculates the theoretical C of G for me I should be able to move the battery wherever I want. Fingers crossed LOL

• Like 1

Put the tail servos aft, short linkage is another advantage. As you said, with accumulators moving the COG is easy if the motor is not too heavy.

A thickened RG15 will work, too, but the result will be not very different to the 6060. And both airfoils are tested with thicker trailing edges, which may be the case with your building material.

Jet like flying due to low drag, slow landing speed due to low wing load. That's the same basic aerodynamics as on modern rc gliders.

Good luck ?

Timo

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Finally made a start on the Buckeye.

Fin and tail plane assembly completed

Motor & retractable nosewheel mount completed

Battery mount and wing brace assembly complete

exploded.thumb.jpg.5b90fe6a99867aedad30920ddd87bc62.jpg.

Now I am testing out the 4 axis cnc foam cutter and fine tuning for correct wire speed, temperature and kerf allowance before cutting the fuselage sections and wings.

20210604_180527.jpg

20210604_180634.jpg

20210604_180641.jpg

20210604_180705.jpg

20210604_180717.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks great and a very interesting construction method. It may be an optical illusion but in some of the photos it looks like the tailplane may have positive incidence in relation to the wing. If so, I think it could need a fair bit of visible up elevator trim.

Good luck with the maiden.

Trevor

1 hour ago, Trevor said:

It looks great and a very interesting construction method. It may be an optical illusion but in some of the photos it looks like the tailplane may have positive incidence in relation to the wing. If so, I think it could need a fair bit of visible up elevator trim.

Good luck with the maiden.

Trevor

Thank you for your comments.

I think you are right although the photos make it look worse than it is. If the maiden goes OK and requires too much trim i'll redo the tailplane.

1 hour ago, Mike Chantler said:

I built a cnc foam cutter recently as well for a project but just used it for the airfoils, so very interested to see your  fab fuselage. Looks really nice. Did you have any problem with the gorilla glue when you sanded the fus? Or did you just keep the glue well away from the fus surface?

I used the clear gorilla glue spread very thinly for the fuselage joints. Sanding in one direction across the joint seemed to work well. I filled any dings etc with lightweight filler before priming with acrylic primer.