Help needed with Fleet Motor speed controller with BEC

Need some help Guys...

I have a Fleet FPS-36A/25 motor controller.

The instructions enable me to identify all the wiring except the two green wires (see photo). They are just not mentioned in the instructions. Can anyone help with what they are for and how to connect them...?

Any and all help greatly appreciated..

Thanks20210303_171745.thumb.jpg.c95b01b0669c8b4065a0def7729b54bd.jpg

Robert, it's difficult to make out but is the voltage range 7.4v- 24v ?

If so I think the BEC will almost certainly be linear & be restricted for use in the lower voltage range, possibly 7.4v to 9.6v but maybe up to 12v. Also the number of servos when using the BEC will probably be 2 or 3 depending on the voltage used. 

I think that the green wires are intended to be shorted if you wish to use the BEC & left open cct with a separate Rx/servo battery. You can prove this by testing for continuity between one green & the battery red then the other green & Rx plug red.

Pat

Many thanks for your reply and suggestions.

You're correct with your voltage assumption - the instructions say 6.0v - 24v (5 - 20 cells) It also says the BEC will drive up to 3 servos in a small model. I will try your suggestion for the green wires. If this is a BEC unit then where does the power to feed the Rx come from...? It has cables for the battery, motor and arming switch and a control lead to the Rx. I was expecting a power lead for the Rx..?

Once again any and all help appreciated....

If using the BEC the power is fed via the normal lead to the Rx throttle port, the positive and negative connections on the receiver are all on a common rail.

I have an old Fleet ESC but mine is a lower voltage one and doesn't have the green wires, which as Pat notes might be to isolate the BEC in higher voltage applications, mine was used with 6/8 cell Nicds and speed 600 motors (some with a gearbox!).

If you are using this ESC with a non Fleet receiver then you will have to fit a new plug and make note that Fleet used a different cable order than the now standard.

Hi Robert

The two green wires are used to enable/disable the brake. I think the default position is OFF, so shorting the wires together should apply the brake for folding props etc. I used to strip the two ends, twist them together then cover the bare wire with a little bit of heatshrink. Of course, you could wire them to a switch if you wanted to have easy manual control of the brake.

The BEC setup is standard, the RX is supplied via the (Fleet specific) servo connector. I believe it is a 2A BEC.

The red sleeving over the esc indicates it's rated at 36A continuous, the 25A ones were blue. I'd be inclined, as with all esc's, to under-run it!

1 hour ago, Robert Cracknell said:

Keith

Due to it's age I guess so....

Fleet went out of business some time before the advent of brushless motors, so it will be for brushed motors only. The one I had worked very well for many years, and showing my age I actually started with a simple receiver controlled on/off relay!

Indeed, it's for brushed motors.

I've found my FPS-36A instructions and need to correct a couple of my statements above, which were from ageing memory!

Although the green wires do indeed control the brake, the default is ON, so you have to short them together to disable the brake.

Also, the instructions state that the red coloured version can supply up to 40A long term (up to 10 mins) and 60A max for 15s.

There is a thermal protection feature, which I remember when I foolishly used one of the 25A versions in a Multiplex Cargo, and got all 4 motors shutting down after a couple of minutes. Changing up to the 40A version fixed it.