Notifications

Geoff S

I used to get a notification for all the topics to which I'd contributed my infinite wisdom that were added to by someone else by clicking on the Bell symbol but that seems to have stopped without my having changed anything.  I've checked my Notifications Setting options and allowed everything.   Has something been changed?  Does anyone else have a similar problem.  It's not a huge deal but it seems odd.

Geoff

• Like 1

Yes, I've done that and it tells me that Ron and I are following but it doesn't appear when I click on the Bell symbol.  The last Notification I got was last Saturday and I got regular updates before that.

Just puzzled why it changed.

Geoff

• Like 1

If you click the bell and then notification settings, you can then open up the "Followed Content" section and make all these choices:-

Screenshot_20210306-163415.thumb.jpg.5c312580269611d7bcf80936e75d4fe2.jpg

The top checkbox gives you notifications for threads you started. The next one for threads you've contributed to. 

Then you can choose how often and how soon to get the notifications and finally whether they are just on site ones (the bell) or emails or both. 

• Thanks 1

This forum is a lot more complicated than the old one but the options are so much better.   It's taking a bit of effort to get my head round it but I think this is a big improvement and the more I get to grips with it the more I like it.

Thanks Chris

Geoff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I am curious about is these options at the top right and how they affect/interact with the settings Chris showed.

image.png

I think that leaving these options as they are above has no effect on the Notification Settings as shown by Chris.

But if the email option is selected then the Notification Settings are overridden and not added to the Notification List, only an email is sent.

Any thoughts?

I am going to do a test, why didn't I think of that earlier.

On my RF-4 topic I have changed the setting to one email per day.

I will report back.

Edited by EarlyBird
More info added

I noticed exactly the same Danny, and having checked my settings the option to receive an e-mail every time someone posted on a topic that I was either active on or following has disappeared. You can still get an e-mail on either a daily or weekly basis but it appears no longer for each individual action. You can still receive a notification (not by e-mail).

I suspected that "fast moving" topics produced a large amount of e-mail traffic (if that's the right work) and perhaps this either caused issues for the forum itself, or people's own e-mails with frequent ones perhaps being regarded as likely spam? I am only surmising as to what has happened here.

At the same time I received a notification that, if I understood it correctly, would, if enabled, produce a notification in my web browser that a new posting has been made even when I'n mot actually looking at the forum itself.

I suspect there was an update of the forum at around mid afternoon yesterday. No doubt we will hear what has actually happened shortly.

Brian.

• Like 1

Danny

7 minutes ago, RottenRow said:

At the same time I received a notification that, if I understood it correctly, would, if enabled, produce a notification in my web browser that a new posting has been made even when I'm not actually looking at the forum itself.

This statement certainly appears to be true, as I received a notification in the corner of my screen that you had reacted to my previous posting, even though I wasn't on the forum at that time. I hadn't received those until I enabled this option a few minutes ago.

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

I take it all of my notifications from the "old" forum have gone?

I now have no old threads sunscribed so do not get any of the notifications I used to get.

I have also noticed entire parts of at least one thread missing ... I posted a few comments in the Twitser Ninja 250 forum and those posts have gone.

Where is this now?:

image.png.0590001a1261515f7b745daf815e4c15.png

We’re these posts made in early February during the migration period?  It was widely publicised that any posts over several days would be lost. 

Otherwise, I do have a vague recollection of some posts going missing on the old forum. 

Edit:  Now I know why you’re called EarlyBird!

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Beaten to the draw!